Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Question SP-295 questions

Hello All - new poster here. I have been reading these forums for over a year and never needed to post until today! Great resource and happy it is available.

We are looking at replacing our Salem 26TBUD with a SP-295. Want the actual bunk room to be separate from the living area, the outside kitchen, lighter weight, etc. We have three boys, 4yrs, 2yrs and newborn due soon so will definitely use the space!

My questions concern two areas -
The pleated / accordion divider between the sleeping area and living area. Can that be replaced? It wouldnt last a day with my boys playing inside! Would prefer pocket doors like the 294 or even my TBUD has, but I dont see that working. At least putting up some heavy curtains would be better but I was looking to see if anyone had other suggestions.

The bunk area - can the lower bunk be made to flip up like the upper bunk on that side? I am fairly handy but have never worked with construction like what the Surveyor is made from and wasnt sure about trying to attach hinges, brackets, etc into the walls. I dont know if a regular stud finder would find the aluminum bracing in there or not. Plus I dont want to crack anything. Reason for asking is that my 2yr old loves to sleep in his "pack and play" portable crib/play yard. He would not sleep in a bunk. Right now the only place it will fit in the 295 is where the dining room table is. We would need to move that and put his pack and play there. Well, when the baby arrives he will be in his own pack and play and we need space for two of them. On our TBUD with the deep slide there is enough room (barely) for two of them, but the 295 has the shallow slide so there is not enough width. If I could swing the lower bunk up I could put one pack and play there and the other where the dining room table is. My 4yr old would sleep in the upper bunk over the storage.

Lastly - is there a ladder to get to the upper bunks, or do I need to buy one? If no ladder, does he just climb onto the small dresser and then try and jump up the upper bunks?

We need to order the 295 and have only seen a rough used one to get an idea of layout, so I am asking here for any help.

Thanks!
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums! We have a 2011 295 and our water heater is under one end of the lower bunk, so unless they have moved it in the 2012, making a flip up is out of the question. Ours also did not come with a ladder so our daughter just uses the nightstand and hops up.
Txcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Oops! As far as the accordion door... Ours has a pocket door between the bunk house and the living area.
Txcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags