Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

SP220 with 2011 Ford Ranger v6

Hello all. We are thinking of getting a small travel trailer for short trips (mainly weekends and such). My wife has her heart set on the SP 220 which I like as well. My concern is if our 2011 Ford Ranger (2x4) will have the guts to pull it.

The truck is rated at around 5,700 lbs towing and I know the SP 220 comes in at just over 4,000 and change (from what I've seen). I was thinking to be save, we may need to look at a lighter TT.

Anyone out here pull the SP 220 with a smaller truck? Dealer says no problem, but I've been reading and others warn the Ranger may not be enough. It does have the tow package from the factory.

Thanks for any info, James.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

your first mistake, a common newbie one, is using the bogus brochure "dry" weights.
second mistake, believing the dealer saying "No problem"!

that trailer's fictional "dry" weight is 4415lbs. i wouldn't call that "just over" 4000lbs..
adding the weight of the normal "options" that are not included in the "dry" number(oven, microwave, a/c, spare tire, awning and so on), it'll weigh nearly 5000lbs. before you add the weights of battery, water and cargo.
it will easily be over 5700lbs. when loaded for camping.

i suggest you look at the trailer's yellow sticker weight for a more accurate number. it includes the weights of options when it left the factory.
then you can add in the weights of the battery, water and cargo.

second, your Ranger's tow capacity is based on only a 150lb. driver in it. anything else in the truck, will reduce that capacity by its weight.

bottom line, you'll be at or over the Ranger's capacity even by loading conservatively. i owned a v-6 Ranger and would never consider towing such a trailer as this one.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

My son-in-law has a Shadow Cruiser 185 FBS that weighs 3,300 empty. He pulled it twice with his Tacoma V-6 and is already looking at F-150s. It is smaller and lighter than what you're looking at... My F-150 is, in my opinion, only marginally OK with my rig that weighs just under 6,000 ready to roll. I'm considering going to a 3/4 ton diesel, so I can feel safer...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

We are pulling an SP-220 with a 2013 V6 explorer and it doesn't have any issues. We do travel light (no water etc.) And it is just the wife and I. Explorer has 255 lbs torque and 290 HP (if I remember correctly). We also have a blue ox sway pro.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycej View Post
Hello all. We are thinking of getting a small travel trailer for short trips (mainly weekends and such). My wife has her heart set on the SP 220 which I like as well. My concern is if our 2011 Ford Ranger (2x4) will have the guts to pull it.

The truck is rated at around 5,700 lbs towing and I know the SP 220 comes in at just over 4,000 and change (from what I've seen). I was thinking to be save, we may need to look at a lighter TT.

Anyone out here pull the SP 220 with a smaller truck? Dealer says no problem, but I've been reading and others warn the Ranger may not be enough. It does have the tow package from the factory.

Thanks for any info, James.
Best advice is to listen to the guy(s) that actually has what you do as far as the truck and trailer and has experienced what you can expect. The rest are just opinions. DO NOT TAKE THE ADVISE OF THE DEALER, he just wants to sell you a trailer and get your money.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
We are pulling an SP-220 with a 2013 V6 explorer and it doesn't have any issues. We do travel light (no water etc.) And it is just the wife and I. Explorer has 255 lbs torque and 290 HP (if I remember correctly). We also have a blue ox sway pro.
let me ask you something.
have you looked at the trailer's yellow sticker weight? if so, please post what that amount is. i know the OP would like to know and so would i.
and if i'm not wrong, the newer Explorers only have a max tow capacity of 5000lbs.

so, even if the 220 weighed its bogus dry weight of 4415lbs., when you add 30lbs. for the battery, 40lbs. for the propane, 100lbs. for the WDH and no water or cargo, it now weighs 4585lbs.
leaving you only 415lbs. for cargo/water.

but wait, the 5000lbs. is rated with only a 150lb. driver in it. so if the wife weighs 150 and you weigh 200lbs. and you have 100lbs. of cargo in the Explorer, now its towing capacity has been reduced to 4700lbs.

now you only have 115lbs. of towing capacity left over for cargo/water in the trailer. and that means you're towing at or over the max, which virtually NO ONE recommends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Actually the tow rating for the explorer is NOT restricted to 150 lbs drive (not sure why it is in trucks) . Yellow sticker is 4415. Battery and propane is 168. Leaves me 435 minus the hitch. Actually running under on cargo rating so I have available capacity on the TV.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

I had a 2006 Ranger rated to tow 5800 lbs. However, in the manual it was stated to not tow a trailer with more than 48 square feet of frontal area. That is only 6 x 8 feet.
The popup we had was about 35 square feet.
Please read the manual about that restriction.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #9

Thank you all so very much who have posted a response. I've been doing a fair amount of reading and was getting a feeling that even with a WD setup (which I would need anyway to increase what my hitch can take from what the sticker reads), the SP 220 would be over what we could do. I have also just recently read about the square front footage thing though didn't understand how to calculate that all out.

I've towed U-haul moving trailers before, but not such as big as what a TT would be. Don't want to over do the truck or make it so I dread driving the setup.

I think I will have to convince my wife that smaller will suit us fine. There is just 3 of us (our son is 8) and I don't see us straying to far from home or for weeks at a time. Just off for 3 day weekends for the most part.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

James.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #10

Sounds like you have thought it through very well. We pull an SP 240 with a 2012 big engine Tundra. We had a 6 cylinder 2004 tundra that we pulled An R-pod (3600 lbs) with and it was great for flat highways with no wind. The Ranger will work you just run the risk of blowing the transmission but then you may never have a problem. Hey, life is a risk. Go have fun. Good luck.

(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote