Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #1

Sport 189

Are there any Sport 189 owners on the list? I did a search and nothing come up. We are thinking about buying one in the next few weeks and just wanted to know what you like / dislike about them. What options did you get / do they offer. We want an oven and tinted double pane glass if they offer.

We are moving up from a 17' Casita so this "little" camper looks big to us. We want to stay as small as we can but still have the features of the Sport 189.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #2

Hey Dulcimer Player,

Do you know any players from Baton Rouge, LA? I ask because my Grandfather plays.

DH
DW
DD-98
DD-01
4yr. old Happy Camping Dalmation Mix
2002 GMC Yukon XL (Behemoth)
2008 Surveyor SV235RKS
Previously - 1998 Coleman Niagara PUP
http://community.webshots.com/user/lacmprs
lacmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacmprs View Post
Hey Dulcimer Player,

Do you know any players from Baton Rouge, LA? I ask because my Grandfather plays.

I sure do . . . I can't think of names off hand but I do play with several folks from down that way. They have a dulcimer club and have a festival. Ask you grandfather if he knows Terry Lewis (thats me), I teach at a lot of festivals around the country and maybe he has had some of my classes or at least has some of my music.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

I talked to my Grandfather and he said he was not familiar with your name. He is part of the dulcimer club and said he has bought several CDs during the festivals and would look though.

His name is AJ Kent. He is 89 and mainly plays backup guitar for them. He does have 4 or 5 dulcimers that he plays too. He has played all over and actually plays most anything - guitar, dulcimer, banjo, piano...

He has not been active with the club for the past year because my stepgrandmother got down with cancer and passed away a coulpe of weeks ago. He actually got out and played with the dulcimer club yesterday though! The president, Helen Bankston and another player Peggy Broussard are his cousins I believe.

Maybe y'all will meet up one day.

DH
DW
DD-98
DD-01
2008 Surveyor SV235RKS
Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacmprs View Post
The president, Helen Bankston and another player Peggy Broussard are his cousins I believe.

Maybe y'all will meet up one day.
Helen Bankston is a friend of mine.

Terry
www.terrylewisdulcimer.com
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #6

Bump

I thought I would bump this back to the top . . . and ask . . . there must not be any/very many buying this model.

This would be moving up to a bigger camper for us . . . we now camp in a 17' Casita. It seems huge to us.

We now have the Casita for sale and if we can sell it we plan on going ahead and ordering a Sport 189 with all the options they offer.

Just suprised that there are not more folks on this list that have one.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #7

Sorry no one has replied about the 189.

We bought our 235RKS earlier this year and have had "0" problems with it so far. So you should be good with the Surveyor as far as quality goes.

DH
DW
DD-98
DD-01
2008 Surveyor SV235RKS
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcimer Player View Post
I thought I would bump this back to the top . . . and ask . . . there must not be any/very many buying this model.

Just suprised that there are not more folks on this list that have one.
Terry, I kinda ran into the same problem when I orignally asked questions about buying my SV 263.....apparently no one on this forum owns my model (except for me now ).

Looking at the Sport 189 on the webpage, it looks like a good floorplan for a compact unit. Considering that the GVWR of the trailer is a little over 5000 lbs., you would at least want a tow vehicle with that limit if you intend to load things light, and maybe a 6500 lb. tow vehicle limit if you are going to load to the max. And beware with the dinette setup, you will probably have to take the table down and store it somewhere when you close the slide. The missus and I had concerns with this type of setup when we were shopping.....you are looking at the kitchen instead of looking out of a window when sitting at the table.

Good Luck on your search,

Chap
Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #9

To my suprise my wife decided to buy the Surveyor SV 230. I think it was the walk around queen bed that did it. Now I have to figure out how to get a TV in it. The TV cabinet is in a bad spot.

Now to go search for post about the SV 230. I was hoping that folks would post the mods and what they are doing with their campers. I have not spent the night in our yet but so far it looks like it is built pretty good and the floor plan will work. . . now if I can just get a good sized TV mounted on a swivel mount so I can watch it from bed or the dinette .
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Site Team

I think you'll be much happier with the 230. We've found Surveyor to have good quality. We're very happy with ours. Have fun. What's your Tow Vehicle?

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor