Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #11

I love my 2012 SP-220! Small enough to get into just about anywhere, but doesn't feel cramped in the slightest. A couple of mods I feel are just about necessary for general comfort though... Which someone else also mentioned... pillow topper for the mattress and new showerheads! x2 I also put in an accordion type door on the bathroom to allow access without having to extend the slideout, and replaced the exhaust fan in the bathroom. The baby stock one just doesn't do much of anything. I also flipped over the TV swivel. It's really difficult to see the TV when sitting at the dinette. I would consider these mods as "really should do's".

I've done some other mods... like putting a switch inside to switch the water heater to electric. It's a pain to have to go digging around outside to get to the switch. Other than that, all of my mods have just been "luxury" mods.

Full LED upgrades (if you're interested in those I can turn you onto some really great fixtures with module upgrades. Like nightlights), 540watt solar with 440ah battery bank under the foot of the bed, magnum 2000w inverter/charger tied into a subpanel. Added an electric jack.. ladder and pootube storage under the frame, etc etc. I could go on, but what can I say? 220's are great little TT's and worth the "bling" lol

RECALL: One other that wasn't mentioned yet is the SUNROOF. Some caulking issue reacting with the plastics that was causing premature cracking. I only had ours a year and it was in pretty bad shape, but FR hooked us right up and no issues since.

I think you'll really enjoy yours! Congratulations!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #12

Hide ho

Great post! Any chance you could post some pics of your mods, like the accordion bathroom door, the inside water heater switch, etc? My last great mod was swapping out the door window with a tinted see through one, which has turned out great.

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #13

Sure! I could snap some pics. The door mod sounds like my next project. Is this the one you purchased?

Clear View Entry Door Window Kit - Ross Rv Innovations B12521518KIT - Entry Door Hardware - Camping World

It would be great to be able to see out without having to do the bending crane neck maneuver over the kitchen sink.

I really love my oxygenics as well. It sure makes a difference on water consumption as well doesn't it. I didn't really like having to put new holes in the shower wall for the holder, but it only took one shower and I forgot all about that.

The only real issue I've ever had with mine was I once had a problem getting power from the batteries to the fuse box. That one was a real stump-er. It turned out that just inside the sealed underbelly where the pigtail enters there are 2 fuses. Why they would design it so you have to drop the entire underbelly to get at 2 little fuses I have no idea. Hopefully they changed that in later model years.

Just a heads up to the OP if that ever happens to them.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

yarome

Hi, yes, that's the window from CW. Took about 45 minutes, very straightforward.
Looking forward to your pictures! Enjoy and happy camping!
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06072014GRANITE347 017E.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	60856  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #15

pt1655

Thanks. A. Lot. Friend

My rigs about 15 miles away so I went out this morning to run a few things out, take inventory of the pantry for restocking, and snap a few pics (forgot the camera though).

I've been thinking about that window mod and was thinking it might be nice, but is it worth the money... mind you I've spent well more than 400 days in there in the past couple of years and never gave it a thought... then today I went in, shut the door.. and holy dang!! It's darn near claustrophobic! Now I gotta. So thanks for that.

I put "camera" down on my stock list so I won't forget when I go to run the beans and coffee back out before next week departure.

~Cheers
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #16

We have a 2012 220. We like it but have issues with it. No quality issues, it's been a good trailer. More like we could have put some more thought into the layout for ourselves.

Husband loved the layout, because of the tv. Theoretically we could both watch from the dinette. Or in bed. Don't know why, we don't watch tv in bed at home. Really it's kind of odd, how much he worried about the tv, when we don't really watch it that much when using the trailer. I keep a few DVD's in the trailer for rainy days, but even then we both tend to read.

My main complaint is the dinette. I truly cannot stand it. The table that came with it was not stable. Not a big deal. We removed it and use one or two smaller personal tables, depending on what we are doing.

Husband goes to bed early, usually around 8. I like to stay up and read or play on my tablet or puzzles until about 10-11. Sometimes I'll sit out side. But if I'm inside the dinette is miserable. The dinette really only has one seat with any type of back support. I've upgraded the seat cushions, used some folding seat back type things. Quite often, I'll bring in a camp chair and sit in that.

If I could or had the option of removing the dinette and replacing it with some kind of sofa, I would. It may not be much more comfortable but at least we'd have more space to move around.

I do wish there were a few inches between the end of the mattress and the TV wall. Husband is 6'1", and either ends up sleeping diagonally or is pushing on the tv wall all night.

It's been a good trailer. Lots of storage. We've changed and added a few things to it. Easy to pull, fairly easy to park. The bathroom is fine. We've never used the shower, So I use for storage mainly.

It's our first trailer, so it's been a learning experience. We use it every other month for a week at a time from Sept-May. We try to get in about 30 days a year. Which works for us.

If we were to do it again, there are a couple other Surveyor floor plans I would look at.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #17

Whoa! Anyone have more info on running the water heater off electric in the 2013 sp220? That would be a nice mod. Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #18

papesd - in our 2014 220 the water heater will run off electric when plugged into shore power (120 volt). You open the water heater access door on the outside of trailer. There is a small black on/off rocker style switch on the heater. It's a bit hard to see.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcat View Post
It's a bit hard to see.
He ain't whistling dixie! Lower left hand side back behind the cross pipe and typically has a small cotter pin running through the rocker switch if it hasn't been used on electric before. I can barely work a digit back there. If you're plugged in, make sure there is water in the tank before you hit the switch. If your dry it only takes a couple of minutes to burn out the electrical element.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #20

I do have the on/off rocker switch but was told it needed to be on when using nat gas and turn it off when we pack up at the end of a stay.

So what you're both saying is that if I don't turn on the gas but have the rocker to "on" the water will heat by electricity? No need to turn on the gas? (Provided that system is actually working).

If so, that's great news. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
sport