Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
We have a few questions for you guys with the 235 RKS rear slide. Can you climb on the bed when the slide is "in"? I've seen some posts, I think by owners of the Keystone Outback, that they have been told to stay off the bed when it is stored inside the camper. And what about packing up at camp after any rain, etc? Do you have to dry off the slide before retracting it? Seems like you could end up getting water inside because your stowing the slide over your dinette and couch.
Andy, you can get in the bed with the slide in; no problem. I do that when I sleep in the trailer at our hobby farm, and we do it camping if it gets super cold; don't HAVE to but it is easier to heat that way. Capacity of the bed is 1,000 pounds in or out.

Yes, you could get a little bit of water in the trailer if you pull the slide in with water on top of it. Not much as it does a "big tilt" on the way in and nearly all of the water runs off; just a few dribbles. That being said, I always have a step stool along and we have a mop for the floor, so I just run the mop over the top of the slide; takes the water off and cleans the surface at the same time. Seems like there is always a little debris on top too. I suppose that you could always use one of those slide covers; but personally I don't see the need.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

just a note about rear bed slides and slidetoppers.

i've yet to see any slidetopper made for such a model.
i've seen lots of posts asking about one but all the answers state that they don't exist.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
just a note about rear bed slides and slidetoppers.

i've yet to see any slidetopper made for such a model.
i've seen lots of posts asking about one but all the answers state that they don't exist.
HA! Didn't know that!
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy F
We have a few questions for you guys with the 235 RKS rear slide. Can you climb on the bed when the slide is "in"? I've seen some posts, I think by owners of the Keystone Outback, that they have been told to stay off the bed when it is stored inside the camper. And what about packing up at camp after any rain, etc? Do you have to dry off the slide before retracting it? Seems like you could end up getting water inside because your stowing the slide over your dinette and couch.
We have slept on our bed in and out, the kids like to play on the bed with the slide in also... As far as drying the slide off, i have finally bought a telescoping ladder (start of last summer) and a car wash brush (the extending type) to remove any crap and water on the roof. A friend reminded me of closing the slide with acorns and crap might not be a best practice (sounded like he was talking from personal experience). Call me anal but I clean the slide roof every time. I've thought about making my own cover with marine vinyl and some snaps but mostly because the rain keeps me awake at night!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #15

Thanks guys. I was going to ask about slide toppers for a rear slide but I forgot. I didn't think about the rain hitting the top of the slide at night when your in bed. I wonder if its louder than sleeping under canvas as the rain hits it. Thanks again for all the insights. My wife and I continue to ponder if we'll be making a move this spring or if we'll stay with our Roo for a few more years. Our tow vehicle is paid for so any RV purchase/changes would have to fall under our current tow limit of 6200 pounds.
2004 Toyota Sequoia
Andy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Site Team

I think rain noise is substantial and inevitable no matter what configuration one has.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #17

We first picked out an SP-280 and I was just about to make a deal for it. I took DeeDee to see it and she saw the SV-264... and... as they say... the rest is history!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #18

We went out looking at campers and ended up jumping over to Keystone and bought a Bullet 281BHS. It has the leaf spring suspension but in the wide-stance axle set-up. The towing and ride is smoother than our Roo which we sold on CraigsList. We're very happy and I have to say the quality of the Bullet is equal to or a bit beyond that of the Rockwood Roo.

2004 Toyota Sequoia
Andy F is offline   Reply With Quote