Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 12:14 AM   #1

Surveyor 200mble Water Pump

Just purchased this trailer (2018) and put water in holding tank. Pump wouldn't turn off. Could it be I need to turn water tank bypass off? Thanks for helping a newbie,
lmeilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #2

First, welcome to the forum and we can help you. The people in this Surveyor section are good folks.

Your water pump issue could be a number of things; however, they are pretty straight forward to diagnose. I doubt it's the (hot) water tank bypass. If that was the case, there just wouldn't be hot water but you'd still be getting water to the faucet and the pump would turn off when the water turned off (it would pressurize quickly).

To start diagnosing, check the following:

1. If the tank is full of water and the pump is just spinning up and going but not producing any pressure or water delivery, it's likely the winterization bypass valve at the pump itself. This is the valve to switch the water pump from pumping water out of the fresh tank and forces it to suck out of a siphon tube to bring in antifreeze. If you go to the front pass through compartment on the driver side, there should be a panel that you can remove with 4 screws. Behind it is the water pump and the valve. Turn the valve and see if that works or not.

2. Check your low point drains to make sure they are closed and snug. These will be the 2 tubes sticking out from under your hot water heater. If these are open, the pump can never fully pressurize the system. However, if they ARE open, you'd see all the water pumping directly to the ground under the trailer.

3. Also, if there's not enough water in the tank the pump will run but not deliver. If only a few gallons were put in the tank, it may be just enough for the pump to "gurgle" but not get full suction and deliver water. Add more water.

4. If the tank is full, it may run for a few minutes for the pump to fill the hot water tank (6 gallons) and pressurize the system. While the pump is going, try opening a faucet to see if hissing air comes out.

5. If the other 4 points check out, I would call the dealer and have them address it ASAP. Do question if they checked the system and verified everything worked prior to you taking delivery of the unit.

Was a Pre Delivery Inspection done and did the dealer show you that the pump was operating correctly up to the faucets?

I'm hoping that one of the first four ideas cures the issue for you. Please let us know how it goes.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeilleur View Post
Just purchased this trailer (2018) and put water in holding tank. Pump wouldn't turn off. Could it be I need to turn water tank bypass off? Thanks for helping a newbie,
Interested... did you come to conclusion on this? I know it continued running until the pump primed. Anything you did to get water flow.

I had same problem wit my 2016 200mble this weekend first trip after "blow out" winterizing. Took a while to prime but once it did... all well
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

Water Pump Issue

I wanted to clarkbre who advised that the water pump by-pass must still be on. I removed the panel in the cargo area and turned it off. I also learned that you need to fill the holding tank to at least a 1/3 so that the pump can move the water through the system. Now working fine and great news for us. Had our first trip this weekend and love the trailer.
lmeilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeilleur View Post
...... Now working fine and great news for us. Had our first trip this weekend and love the trailer.
Great to hear that another Surveyor is out and about. If you ever drop through WA, come say hello!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

I had similar problem but it was not the pypass turned on. It was off. I found that it just took a while for the pump to prime. Also found that prior to filling the fresh water tank I run watrer thru the City Water connection to fill water heater and allwater piping.... purging this air out of system. Then fill fresh water tank. It primes much faster for me this way and the pump only runs as water is used.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
2006 Tundra Surveyor 241

Glad I read this after trying to use the pump and it would not stop spitting air and prime. Luckily I tried this while I had full hook ups and was just testing it. We bought our 2019 241RBLE in April and it came with only one book for the water heater and nothing else. Luckily I am very mechanical and now I don’t need to take the trailer in for warranty work. The only other issue we have had was with the barn door railing which I secured better than new with some binding post screws and fabricated backing plates. It will never sag again.
rwhit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor