Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #21

Bad Workmanship

Well some people know how it can rain in the Northwest but don't think the downpour we had this weekend is any reason for my brand new 220rbs should have created the mess that it did inside. Water dripping from the corners of the slide when it is all the way in.
Not excited to haul it back 100 miles to the dealer. What does a person have to do to drop it off and get all their money back? I am at that point!

And the Seahawks are playing like crap!!!

Don
Sequim2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #22

Hello Don, don't feel bad regarding the Seahawks, Manning had a quarterback rating of 0 as in zero. and the Broncos looked terrible Manning has been benched for the next game... as for your leak I found a small puddle at the corner of the slide by the bedroom door after we got back from our trip last month and the slide was in. Never had a leak when the slide was out and it poured down rain..how does that happen?? took it to the dealer and he could find no reason for the water...strange

Rich
1oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #23

Surveyor Leak

Hi Rich
Yes that is exactly where my leak is. Right in the front corner between 2 pieces of plastic molding. I thought I would tilt the trailer up and see if it made the rain run off. Nope the next day i mopping up water in the bathroom because it was coming out of the same place but on the corner by the bathroom.
Have an appointment to take it back to the dealer where I bought it.
This should be fun!
Do you have the slide awning on yours. Wondered if it would help!

Don
Old 11-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #24

Hi Don,

I don't have the slide awning and was wondering if in fact that might have been the problem, did by chance water collect on the slide when it was out during the rain and then make its way down thru th molding when I had parked the TT after getting back home. The dealer ran tests with air and couldn't find anything and I'm not sure I want to try to make the leak appear by putting water on top of the slide.

Rich
Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #25

Perhaps, without a slide awning some leaves or twigs could have been on top when the slide was closed. Maybe if a small stick or other small foreign object were lodged in one of the corners when the slide was closed, it could provide an opportunity for water to seep in. Don't know how likely that would be. Just a thought.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #26

mjones12,

I suppose that is a possibility, but how likely is it to happen to 2 different campers that just happen to have the same make and model TT. Going to have to either get slide awning installed or start making sure top of slide is clean b-4 retracting it.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #27

My 2013 Surveyor 220 does have awning and never a leak. A coincidence? I just don't know.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #28

I think I will suggest that an awning be installed. It does make sense!

Don
Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #29

Dropped off trailer at the dealer today. Had to tow it back 108 miles but I thought it best to deliver it back to the dealer where I bought it. Could have had the warranty covered 15 miles from home.
What I noticed today is that there is a seal on top and on bottom of the slide out but no side seals. I would think there should be. Will see tomorrow what they say. One other problem I noticed is those real nice 2 lights on the front of the trailer had water in them. Will add that to the list of repairs.

Don
Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #30

Don let me know what the dealer has to say about the leak, I still have to take mine back to get one of the sliding pocket doors replaced. I'll see what they have to say about putting a slide topper on. Maybe FR will pay for it if it all those without toppers are having leaks.

Rich
Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #31

Don: mine has rubber seals down both sides that are like squeegees. Maybe that is the source of your leak.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #32

Went to dealers repair facility with the Surveyor today. When I picked it up at the dealer sales facility I looked at 2 new 2016 Surveyors. Even though mine is a 2016 they certainly had different Slide seals on them. All the way down the side. Nothing like mine. Leads me to believe FR redesigned the seals on late 2016 models. Or they just forgot it on mine.
I tried to explain this to the dealer but not sure they understood.
We will see!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #33

My 220 is a 2013 with squeegee seals on both slideout sides. Can't believe they would knowingly discontinue such a feature.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #34
Buckskin

I have 2014 Surveyor and had slide awning installed before I brought it home from dealer new. Never had leak and have been in some very heavy rains. Mine has seal on sides of slide. Had awning installed after talking with others with various different model campers and several had problems with leaks without slide awning. So this seems to be problem for all makes of campers.

I like slide awning because don't have to worry about leaves, sticks and pine needles getting trapped in top seal; have seen several people having to sweep off tops of slides before pulling in slide - don't have to do this with awning.
Buckskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #35

Angry Leaking Surveyor Slideout

Thought I would give an update to my leaking slide!
as mentioned I took it to the service center on Nov 23rd, of the dealer where I bought it. Baydos RV in Fife WA. Last Tuesday they said they were letting it dry. I assumed the new seal. And they would test it the next day and call me. No call! I finally called them Friday and they were still working on it. Wanting them to take their time and do it right I did not complain. They said it would be Monday, yesterday, and no call. I just hung up with them and the first attempt to fix last week did not work. Arrr
So I called the dealership looking for my salesman. He was off today. Another very nice person told me it will be better than factory when they are done and not to worry about the water since the Surveyor has an aluminum and foam frame along with the floor everything should be OK. RIGHT! Obviously a salesman!
If you watch the news you will see that we are at flood stage around the NW right now. I don't believe they need to use a hose to test it!
More to come! Unfortunately!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #36

Thanks. Keep us posted.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #37

Finally Fixed

Picked up my trailer today at the service dept of Baydos RV. The leak in the slide was actually fixed a week ago but had no where to park it so they were nice enough to let me leave it there.
When I picked it up today it was pouring down rain. Inside was perfectly dry. I actually picked it up a day early unannounced just because I don't trust people. Wanted to make sure it was really fixed. Dropped it off at my sisters for a couple week and when I got there I checked it again. Dry.
I am very disappointed in Forest River. Why send out a trailer when you are aware of problems. Why would they allow a dealer to sell their product with a defect. My plan is to upgrade once I retire in 4 years and it certainly won't be a Forest River product. And it probably won't be from Baydos RV either.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #38

Had the seals actually been left off the sides of the slideout?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #39

No nothing was left off as I thought at first. Just a bad FR design.
I asked the service manager for the short version of what they did and he said that FR puts a seal inside the edges of the slide and it has a gap in it that allows it to leak. So they take that off and put their own seal that they use which fills the gap.
And why not do that fix before selling it is what I don't understand. Maybe FR wont cover under warranty until it is sold. Does not say much for the brand.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #40

Glad it's fixed. Thanks for the explanation.

Tags
surveyor