Old 04-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Surveyor 243RBS

We just purchased a new Surveyor 243RBS and we will pick it up on Wed. I will be towing it with a 2014 F-150 Supercab, 4wd, 5.0 liter. Although I have towed a lot of trailers at work and have a lot of experience towing different types of trailers, I have never towed a Travel Trailer. I am wondering if any of you have this model trailer and what you are towing it with? I just installed a electric brake controller and also towing mirrors but I was on another forum and they made it sound like I would be right at my limit for towing. It has a Trailer Tow package. The trailer weighs 5174 lbs. empty with a cargo carrying capacity of 2380 lbs. Any thoughts are appreciated, Boomer.

Boomer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Boomer, I tow a 2016 243RBS with a 2013 Ford F150 ecoboost with the standard tow package (Not the heavy duty package). I have had no issues at all pulling the 243RBS so far. My F150 came with a brake controller as part of the tow package. I added tow mirrors that just clip over the existing mirrors. Seems like the tow package would include tow mirrors, doesn't it?

dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the reassurance Don. I had a 2013 F-150 that was a short box 2wd that had the towing package and it came with the brake controller. I traded it for the 2014 and this one had the towing package but no brake controller. I had to buy one from Ford and it was 200.00. Then they wanted 100.00 to program it. I called a couple other dealers and I got it done for 48.00. Ford wanted anywhere from 800.00 to 1200.00 APIECE !!! for towing mirrors. I found an exact set on E-bay for 116.00 a pair. Electric, signal lights, puddle lights. Watched a you tube video and it took 20 minutes a side to change out. Thanks again for your input and Thank you for your service. My dad was a Petty Officer aboard the Oriskany in Korea.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #4

Glad to help. We are pulling out this morning on our way from Georgia to Ontario. So far it looks like the weather is not going to cooperate though. Pretty cool and good chance of rain the first 2 days we are there. But won't be the first time we have dealt with less than ideal weather. It's just part of camping. Maybe I'll post an update on how it pulled when we get back. I've only made a couple of fairly short trips with this trailer, although the previous one (a Sunset Trails) that I pulled with the F150 was very similar. Maybe a couple of hundred pounds lighter.

My dad served in the Navy in WW2 and Korea.

I might look into towing mirrors, although so far these clip on mirrors have been fine. Once on they look like original equipment.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

I pull our 2016 243RBS with a Titan crew cab, and it does a great job. Out of the three trailers I've had so far, I think this one is the easiest to tow. Enjoy!
209surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

Thanks 209. We picked it up yesterday and I took the interstate home for about 60-70 miles. It was very windy and I kept it at 65-70. The truck was working pretty good and certainly knew it was back there lol. There was nothing in it yet so I have to see how that goes once my wife stocks it up. The hitch seemed to be set up correctly as the truck was level. I know there will be a learning curve and will take some getting used to. We are very excited as this is our dream trailer. Thank you for your input and also Thank you for your service.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

My truck knows it's back as well, especially in heavy winds. But I don't feel I'm overworking it at all. Once you guys get it all loaded, double check the hitch set up and truck being level. Keep up the excitement, there's always an adventure. I'm still working out some stuff on mine, a year later, but I'll get it dialed in.

And, it was an honor!
209surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #8

We are back from our trip from Georgia to Ontario and back. The F-150 towed fine, even through the hills of Tennessee. Never really felt like it was straining at all. Of course it did downshift on the longer, steeper hills, but I generally was able to use the cruise control when out on the highway. Averaged 10.4 mpg overall, and usually kept the speed around 60-62 mph. We weren't in a hurry anyway, just cruising along enjoying the ride. A week from today I take off again, headed to Texas for an 18 day music festival. I'll leave Saturday, stay a couple of nights in Louisiana, a night in a Tx state park, then to the festival where I will camp for at least 20 days. Two or three nights on the road coming back. My trailer is getting a workout this year.

Tags
surveyor