Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Surveyor 243RBS - a few first impressions

We picked up our new (2016) unit yesterday and towed it the 80 miles or so home. I can tell already that my mpg is going to be 2 or 3 less than I was getting with the trade-in, but that was to be expected since the new one is longer and heavier. My Ford F150 Eco-boost had no problem pulling it though.

I like being able to get on the roof and walk around, unlike the old unit. I did like the roofing material on the old one better. The new one seems to be rubber, but I have had those before.

One thing I don't like on the new one is that the switch to use the water heater on electric mode is outside. The old unit had the two switches side by side on the control panel, which was much more convenient. I also liked the more open layout inside of the old one (just a heavy curtain to separate the bed from the living room), rather than a wall. However, that is something I will get used to.

I like having a two burner stove top in the outside kitchen. The old one did not have a stove top, just a sink and fridge. I like that the fridge is permanently attached rather than having to strap it in like the old one.

I like having larger holding tanks.

The fridge on the Surveyor is a bit smaller than the old unit.

I like the slide system on the Surveyor more than the old one. I was always worried about the slide not coming out or going in. This one has a manual way to crank it in (or out I guess), which I hope I never have to use.

Extras on the new one include: Awning over the slide, heavy duty fold down rack on the back which will make it more convenient to carry our bicycles, 15k BTU A/C instead of 13.5k, and BAL under the trailer spare tire holder.

The dealer installed my Equal-i-zer hitch brackets on the tongue for me, and made basic adjustments, but I plan on going through the entire set up procedure before I take it out again. Seemed to pull just fine, but I want to be sure I have the correct weight transfer.

Shake down camping trip planned for next weekend for 3 nights just up the road at a state park. Hopefully all will go well. The walk-through was very comprehensive and all my questions were answered and all systems were checked... except the plumbing.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Camp Bartender

Congrats! Enjoy your new camper!

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #3

Congrats on the new TT, sounds like all went well. Good luck!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

hidee ho

Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! And congrats on the new trailer! We've had our Surveyor for 3 1/2 years now and still love it and nary a problem (other than what I have caused). Happy Camping!1

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #5
Buckskin

Enjoy, we love our Surveyor. Will camp about 5 months this year.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

We just got back from a short (3 nights) at a nearby state park. First camping trip and all went well. Only issue was the blinds behind the sofa would not close, but we were able to manually close them. Removed this morning and it was a quick fix to make it right. Overall a successful weekend.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor