Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #81

You won't have any problems with engine power. We just returned from a 7k mile trip through the Rockies and not once felt like we needed more engine. Stability wise, cross winds got a little concerning, but I'm not moving up in truck for the 1% of the time that I'd want more.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #82

That should work just fine. I do recommend an active sway controller. For your setup not so much for the weight distribution but for the sway controller. Your setup should pull just fine. I recommend the Reese Straight Line.
MA74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #83

I agree with the suggestion for the "sway" bars. Also watch the transmission temperatures; maybe even add a gauge.
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #84

Thanks for the input. My truck has a transmission temperature gauge and it only runs, on average, 5° hotter. I did notice that I need to be careful when going up real steep or long passes and manually downshift it to 5th gear and maintain around 2,000 RPM's.
I put on weight distribution bars and the truck has electron sway control, do you still think I should add sway bars? I didn't have any issues towing it from Oregon to Colorado (felt the wind going across the NV desert but didn't have any sway).

Thanks again for your knowledge and expertise.
ColoRobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #85

Naw. I say your good
Old 08-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRobbie View Post
Thanks for the input. My truck has a transmission temperature gauge and it only runs, on average, 5° hotter. I did notice that I need to be careful when going up real steep or long passes and manually downshift it to 5th gear and maintain around 2,000 RPM's.
I put on weight distribution bars and the truck has electron sway control, do you still think I should add sway bars? I didn't have any issues towing it from Oregon to Colorado (felt the wind going across the NV desert but didn't have any sway).

Thanks again for your knowledge and expertise.
I did notice that the transmission liked to keep the rpm's lower than I like. I mean, I bought the engine for low rpm torque, but sometimes it stays too low. It will hold about 1800 or less rpm's and I prefer to manually bring it down a gear and up to about 2100 rpm or more.

I monitored closely doing this and noticed it would keep the transmission a few degrees cooler. Not much, but a bit.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 AM   #87

Hey guys

Just completed our first 14 nights in the new trailer. Our family loves everything about it. After visiting with a few other families and going through there trailers we have come to realize this is truly one of the best floor plans out there for our family of 4. Can't beat the space, storage, features, etc...Forest River got this one right. All features appear to be working perfectly. My only concern is some of the craftmenship. The amount of cabinets and doors that came with scratches on them, or Knicks and dents in them was really surprising. This includes one of the sliding doors in the bedroom coming with a huge 12 inch long gash in it. I don't understand how a quality control person decides these were all OK and let's it leave the factory. Up here in western Canada these trailers are Msrp at $38000 Canadian plus depending on the added features. At first glance we just decided to live with most of the defects besides 2 doors that we did get reordered through our dealer. Upon returning from our trip we popped back into the dealer as we noticed when the slide is closed it wasn't sealing properly. there was a lot of light coming in from the bottom closest to the pantry. This is the outside seal that would be above the tires. Dealership was awesome and brought a tech out to work on it right there in the lot. After an hour of trying to get the seal to close all the way he could not fix it perfectly. Got the opening a little smaller but it needs to be sealed tight to make sure no rodents or other bugs/ animals can get in. It was decided they would need to keep it and deal with the factory on getting a new seal sent out. No problem for us as we don't camp again till late September. Also had the service people walk through our unit and they took pictures of all the dents and scratches and are going to send in requests for replacements on anything they can't touch up. We were ready to just live with it as you always hear these things always come a little roughed up. The dealership has been awesome as they believe for the money we pay for these things they need to be in mint condition. They know that the reality is with the quick assembly line production that is never the case. Oh, and the sliding bedroom door they sent to replace the current damaged one, it came bubble wrapped with some tape holding the wrap to the door. When they peeled it off the tape took the finish off the door in 2 very visible spots. Once again, how does this leave the factory? I'm hoping all the cosmetic stuff is patched up and that all the really important stuff like water system, furnace, AC, electrical was put together with a little more thought and care. This floor plan is perfect for us and I want this trailer to last us at least 10 more years.
We tow it with the 2012 ram 1500 5.7 hemi crew cab. 3.92 axle. We travelled approx 800km total that included the coquihala hwy. it is a hwy through the mountains with fairly long climbs and declines. It towed it just fine. Sure drank a lot of gas during the climbs but all in all it handled it well
I'll give feedback after the trip in September and once we get her back all cleaned up.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #88

Love the 245bhs

In reply to the Blair's post we experienced a few craftsmanship flaws as well. I think this is mainly due to the current demand for these trailers, the factory is probably trying to get them out as quickly as possible. Our dealership can't keep them in stock! We also had a couple things that needed to be replaced (awning fabric had a hole & bathroom mirror had a large scratch in it) Both things were handled by our dealer ordering and installing replacements from the factory. We have done 2 separate week long trips this year without any issues. Hope that you guys can also easily get the replacements you need!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #89

I pulled mine up the coquihalla with my older dodge and had to pull off halfway up the steep hill through the tunnel so she didn't blow up! Couldn't get over 30km either so I just upgraded to a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummings diesel no messing around? Just curious you probably got yours at Fraserway like I did I agree the craftsmanship left something to be desired I had mine back at the shop twice the room doors broke off the cabinet latches broken front room plugs did not work at all...now I'm happy after that is done!

2002 Dodge Ram 2500

2015 Surveyor 321 BHTS
BCCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #90

Had to update the signature line!

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel

2015 Surveyor 321 BHTS
BCCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #91

The 321bhts is a little heavier and bigger than the 245bhs. I think the switch to the Ram 3500 was a good idea for driving the coquihala. Those inclines and declines can be nasty, especially around the bear tunnel. We did get our trailer from fraserway and so far they have been excellent. Looking forward to getting the unit back with everything cleaned up.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #92

I have one, bought it in July and live it! 11 nughts in it so far.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #93

Love it ^
Old 10-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #94

New owners of a 243RBS

Just picked up our new 243RBS and love the floor plan. We have looked at many new models and kept coming back to this unit. Very functional with the one slide out and out door kitchen area. Hope to hear from others if they have any recommendations or insights.
DrBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #95

2017 245bhs

We just winterized our tt to put an end to great camping season. We purchased our 17 Surveyor 245 bhs back in may.. The layout and size is perfect for out small family ( 4 year , 1 year) There are many things we like about the tt. The bed is really comfy , great storage for a small trailer. We narrowed it down to the Surveyor or the Sunset trail 2400bhs. The sunset trail was a great trailer -- however I found the Surveyor better looking Things I don't like ; the outdoor kitchen is poorly designed. If you dry camp ( like us) the fridge is useless ( I have ordered a new propane mini fridge to replace) , the sink does not pull out , and I find it ackward to wash dishes, hands etc. It is really dark inside -- the sunset trail had a sky light in the kitchen that added a lot of light. The top bunk can be tough to access ( no ladder) .. and the fit and finish is sub par -- lots of scuffs , chips etc in wood.. a lot of the wood is not lined up properly etc. This is not an entirely level tt -- they should spend a little more time in quality control. All in all we are really happy with the 245 bhs. Look forward to next year..

Western Canada
The Gallants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Question for you all, where did you install your TP holder?
Under the sink just inside the cabinet door, mounted to the inside of the door.
uwpahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 AM   #97

I didn't find the fit and finish concerns that many of you are now. It must be that 2 years ago they didn't have quite the demand.

Regarding the outdoor kitchen, I completely agree to its usefulness. We removed the fridge a year ago and use that space to store our generator. This winter, I'm pulling the entire kitchen out, including stove and shelving. I believe that to be a better space for storage. Our generator (Yamaha 2400) and BBQ (Weber Q) will fit in there just fine. Besides, when towing this with a half ton, it will help to get that weight out of the truck.

My water pressure on the outdoor sink is pitiful. Anyone else have that problem? I bet there is debree stuck in the line.

My sound bar quite powering up. I have a call in now to get a replacement. Electronics is a hobby of mine, and I expect the junk they put in these trailers to quit working. But I'll still try for a replacement while under warranty.

Everyone with a spare tire under the trailer needs to check for two things. First, can you get it out. The nut that held ours in place was corroded to the point that I had to use a grinder to cut my spare tire down. Learn that at home, not on the road. Two, the bracket itself has two pipes that are compressing the tire into place. I have 4 large indentions in the sidewalls of my spare. I'm trying to get that replaced too.

We did a 45 night, 7k mile trip with ours this summer and had not one problem. Still loving the trailer.

And the best part....down to 2k on the loan. We paid heavy on it and will have it paid in 2 years, as planned!

Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #98

Thank you the insight on the spare tire, I will be checking mine this weekend
Old 11-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #99

Yes on the tire move; it should be removed and carried somewhere else. I have always carried my spare trailer tire in my pick up, so it is easy to put the TT spare tire there.
Yesterday, I cut a large hole in the inside panel next to the water pump. I covered it with a new panel that will be removed for winter storage. This will let heat from my inside electric heater reach the pump.

2500 Dodge diesel, 251RKS Artic Surveyor
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #100

I finally got around to pulling the entire outdoor kitchen out. It comes out fairly easy. Two pieces.

I cut the plumbing back and capped it off. In all, another owner could put the kitchen back in with $20 and an hours time.

The pullout burners, are pitiful for real cooking! FYI, the assembly for them has significant weight. I am guessing about #30.

Once the counter, sink and burners are out, there is a surprising amount of space there. It will probably store as much as the front outdoor storage.

Another small change is that I opened up the cabinet wall directly to your left as you go up the steps. We're hanging a curtain in front of the opening. It gives better access to the back side of the under sink storage.

Ooops, one more change. I rotated our power jack 90 degrees. Hoping this allows my tailgate to drop all the way. Don't know yet.

Tags
surveyor