Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #101

Approaching gvwr

We recently purchased a 2017 245BHS. Tow vehicle is a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 CC 4x4. I will have plenty of towing capacity, but will be close to or at 7,200 lb GVW? Anyone else in similar situation and have any concerns/advice?
Magbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #102

Congrats on you purchase! Enjoy it and have fun.

I was in a very similar position last year when we bought our 247 BHDS. At the time we had an 06 Silverado Z71 CC. The truck worked hard and would not have been good for our move from Washington state to Michigan. We ended up getting a 15 Ram 2500 with CTD. Much easier pulling and braking especially with the engine brake on the diesel.

I would say if you go easy pay attention to how you load the truck and trailer you will be fine. Plan you trips by your fuel mileage. You'll probably average about 8 - 10 depending on elevation changes.
247BHDS from NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #103

Thanks 247. Our last travel trailer was a 2009 Aerolite Cub 235T expandable. It weighed about 1,600 lbs less dry weight, and towed great. With the 245BHS, I am well within the 9,100 lb towing capacity, but when I estimate the weight of TV, passengers, cargo and hitch weight, I will be between 7,100 and 7,300 lbs GVW on Sierra. Dealer says no problem, WD hitch helps spread weight out. Hope that's just not the pitch to make the sale. I see on this forum a lot of people seem to be hauling heavier with similar setups. Guess I'll have to head to CAT scales to see where it ends up.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #104

Surveyor 245BHS any other owners out there?

Having the same combo two years older, I find the 1500 and 245 an excellent match. Living in Eastern Pennsylvania, there has not been a trip that has not included multiple grades and often rutted gravel dirt trails taking us to the campground. Very few white knuckle moments. It did take some getting used to the high RPMs on steep grades as our prior vehicle was a diesel 2500.

Admittedly, I struggled with the exact same math a couple years back. If you actually have the advertised 1,700 lb payload (give or take), you should be in excellent shape.I get 1,450 lbs passenger/cargo. Obviously, check your yellow sticker to see what you actually get.

At any rate, the allowance works for me. We don't have a huge amount of weight in the trailer to load the tongue weight and my kids each weigh less than 100 lbs together. We actually still have room to load firewood for places that allow.

As you say though, the scales will tell.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #105

Thanks AdamC
How has your 245 Held up so far? Any issues I should be on the lookout for? They appear to be fairly well built, especially when compared to the ultralight expandable we previously owned. I am a pretty big guy at 6' and 255 lbs and do get concerned about the strength of the steps and ladder/roof. Any issues so far for you?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #106

No real issues for us. A couple small issues such as having to replace the outside sink faucet and tightening the kitchen sink drain tubes immediately off the lot. Sadly, my front cap is fading at the top. I intend to see if my dealer can get some remedy from Forest River on that. With the new paint scheme, you should not have that problem. Other than that she has been great for us and stood up well to the beating we give it travelling to parks and campgrounds.
I go up on the roof frequently and haven't caused any damage because of my weight yet (200 lbs +-). It definitely doesn't feel like concrete and you can feel the supports vs the area between the supports. The ladder doesn't look it but feels very sturdy to climb and the stairs feel good, although an upgrade to aluminum steps would be nice.
I do wish the shower was larger but the tub is a must have for our kids. Also, I wish they had put the whole outside sink counter on heavy duty cabinet rails to make the sink more usable (I am considering doing that mod this spring along with replacing the gas burners with a induction top and rotating the sink).
All-in-all, the quality is particularly good for a low to mid-grade trailer and I think you will love this purchase.
Happy Camping!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #107

Fan-tastic Vent Install

I want to put a fan-tastic vent in the vent above the queen. Has anyone checked to see if we have 12V wiring run to it already?
THANKS!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #108

I put a fan in that location. There isn't 12v there. I pulled it from the bedroom light switch and ran through the ceiling with a fish. Not easy with the rafters, but you can get it. I pulled out the lights and speakers so that I could get my arm in a few places. Worked out well.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #109

It's possible there is. We had the dealer install one there and above the bunk bed. Nobody mentioned any issues with installation. They did not want to add one at the kitchen. Too close to ac unit...they also called it overkill to have 4 fans. We did do the 15k AC upgrade, so it does add wiring for a second AC in the master. Not sure if that makes a difference when answering your question. Hope that helped
MA74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #110

Update: Went on our first trip with the outdoor kitchen removed. The space now houses my WeberQ on stand and a Camp Chef with the full griddle. Once that is pulled out and setup, the space makes a beautiful counter with wall space for hanging tools, etc. No question, it was a good move for our family.

Also, rotating the electric jack was an improvement for me, but the tailgate is still a half inch from being able to lay flat. At least now it doesn't hit the buttons.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #111

Obviously, this is a free forum, and we welcome all posters...However, the intent of this thread is to be discussion of the Surveyor 245BHS. If related discussion strays a bit, so be it, but please start a thread for your model if you would like to have a place for discussion. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #112

Thanks trag. Bummer but it seems easy enough. Did you find both wire pairs at the switch?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #113

Not sure what you mean by "both"? There is a rocker switch in the upper cubby on the passenger side of mine. From that switch, it goes out to the lights in the bedroom ceiling. I spliced off of the hot line coming to that switch.

In the upper cabinet, there is a panel to remove. Once removed, you can see all of the wiring in that corner.

I have big hands and arms, so I wouldn't say the job was easy, but it wasn't hard either.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Obviously, this is a free forum, and we welcome all posters...However, the intent of this thread is to be discussion of the Surveyor 245BHS. If related discussion strays a bit, so be it, but please start a thread for your model if you would like to have a place for discussion. Thanks.
Confused by this post. Was someone not talking about the 245bhs?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #115

Was I mistaken? Thought I saw that? Either way, all are certainly welcome, my only reason for commenting is that if we are to have a resource for a specific model, it is easier to use if it stays on purpose.

I'm working on a video showing all the changes we've made. Hope to post it here in a week or two.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #116

I think so...? not sure what you saw. I too agree this should be for the 245bhs model if possible. Looking forward to seeing your mods.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #117

Just picked up new Surveyor 245 BHS

We picked up our new 2017 245 BHS Friday. First night out I discovered the heat duct that goes to bathroom vent under shower was not even connected to the furnace. Also noticed a large cut out in floor under shower that went straight through to underside of trailer, allowing in a lot of cold air in through vent under shower. Anyone else have similar quality issues? Was this cut out a mistake at factory.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #118

Congrats on your new trailer! I think you will love it once these bugs are ironed out.

I'm curious how you discovered these items? In the bathroom, you must have pulled the vent out of the tub? My underbelly is covered, so I don't know what the subfloor looks like under my tub. Is yours not?

My only quality issue has been some rusting on the nuts and bolts under the frame. I'm thinking the trailer was delivered with salt on the roads and the dealership didn't spray it down with freshwater.

Welcome aboard!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #119

Thumbs up Welcome Magbat

Congratulations and welcome to the club Magbat. No doubt you will have a few issues but, if you are like the majority of us Surveyor owners, your issues will be minor and you will have a great experience.
I would likely handle the repair myself as opposed to letting the dealer touch it. Have you done your shakeout trip yet?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #120

Hi Tragusa,
Yes, I opened the vent under the tub and discovered there was no air coming through the duct and noticed the large cut-out in floor. Dealer immediately fixed the duct issue. The factory did not even have a collar on the furnace to attach the duct to it. I did not ask dealer about the cut-out. I assumed it was there for clearance for the trap on the tub, but it is much larger than needed, and lets a lot of cold air in from underside, even though the underbelly is enclosed. I did put some insulation over it, but may have to ask dealer to look at it, just wondering if any other owners noticed the cold air coming from under tub?

Tags
surveyor