Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Dave,

I'm not sure where the gap is that you're referring to? From the outside of my trailer, with the slide in, There are no gaps, and all looks symmetrical. I'm thinking you are referring to somewhere else? Maybe post a picture?

Thanks for the quick replies. I have attached a couple of photos - not sure if you guys think its an issue or not? The first is of the back of the slide which shows no gap when closed. The second is the front of the slide and you can see via my handy-dandy measuring device (fingers) how much of a gap there is.

What do you guys think?

Dave
RAM 1500 Sport 5.7 Hemi
Surveyor 245BHS
BC.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #22

Hello all. We picked up our 245 in July. We've had it out 3 times now and still working out bugs but nothing major. We do need to replace the faucet in the outside kitchen as it decided to start leaking on us last time out. Got the debris out of it (looked like white plastic trimmings from assembly in the "valve seat") but no luck with the leak. Think we'll just upgrade to a residential faucet as these blow out.
No real mods yet other than a ladder install for my oldest DD to get in the top bunk. These are nicely equipped as they are but we have several planned just to suit us.

Dave - I don't recall but will take a look at our slide tomorrow to see if there are differences in gap. Ours does make gear clicking noise when fully open and closed. Not sure if that is "normal".

Have any of you figured out how to configure the cushions to make a bed of the dining area? DW read somewhere that Forest River had a filler cushion but you had to ask for it?
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #23

Yes the center back cushion and the two end cushions fill in to make the bed
Seabeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #24

Thanks Seabee. We came to that conclusion as well but found the fit wasn't exactly right and not very comfortable. I suppose I was really hoping someone would say "yah, ours came with a spare cushion that made it amazing" .
Maybe just trimming a topper to size is the best option as we only use it in "bed-mode" as a day bed for the kids.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Thanks Seabee. We came to that conclusion as well but found the fit wasn't exactly right and not very comfortable. I suppose I was really hoping someone would say "yah, ours came with a spare cushion that made it amazing" .
Maybe just trimming a topper to size is the best option as we only use it in "bed-mode" as a day bed for the kids.

Hi Adam -

Make sure that when you use the dinette as a bed you be sure that the table top is securely where it is supposed to be. There is a known Surveyor 245 issue in that the supports for the table top don't extend far enough over. The result is if someone rolls over on the bed to the edge closest to the kitchen sink the table top will fall over and dump the person onto the floor.

Just thought I'd mention...

Dave
Old 08-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Hello all. We picked up our 245 in July. We've had it out 3 times now and still working out bugs but nothing major. We do need to replace the faucet in the outside kitchen as it decided to start leaking on us last time out. Got the debris out of it (looked like white plastic trimmings from assembly in the "valve seat") but no luck with the leak. Think we'll just upgrade to a residential faucet as these blow out.
No real mods yet other than a ladder install for my oldest DD to get in the top bunk. These are nicely equipped as they are but we have several planned just to suit us.

Dave - I don't recall but will take a look at our slide tomorrow to see if there are differences in gap. Ours does make gear clicking noise when fully open and closed. Not sure if that is "normal".

Have any of you figured out how to configure the cushions to make a bed of the dining area? DW read somewhere that Forest River had a filler cushion but you had to ask for it?
Thanks again for your help...

The clicking sounds are the clutch plates slipping when the slide is traveling in and out. Perfectly normal.

I appreciate your checking your trailer. I had a Rockwood 2306 and upgraded to the Surveyor 245BHS and never having a slide before, I didn't know if the gap was acceptable.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Welcome OTH Diver!

Hey, anyone want to share any mods they have done or thinking of doing?

I've done the following:
-mounted a tv in the bedroom
-installed PVC fence post for sewer hose
-put a 45d extension on the sewer pipe (those darn valves are tucked under too far!)
-made a new curtain for the bunks (prettier)
Tragusa3 -

The one mod I did on my last trailer that I found useful, and I will do it for this trailer as well, is install a digital voltage meter.

You can get them on eBay, and are only about 2" in diameter. I found the push button gauges weren't enough for a prolonged period of dry camping so installed this gauge with a momentary button switch so it wasn't turned on the whole time.

Pretty simple installation - wire to momentary push button switch to gauge - to wire.

That way I could get an exact readout on the battery level rather than the 25% increments with the existing gauge.

Not fancy, but one I found very useful.

Dave
Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.Dave View Post
Thanks again for your help...

I appreciate your checking your trailer. I had a Rockwood 2306 and upgraded to the Surveyor 245BHS and never having a slide before, I didn't know if the gap was acceptable.

Thanks!

Dave
Hey Dave.

It was a rainy day this morning so a good time to check out the seals. I found my slide to be flush as possible on all edges and appearing to make good contact with the seals from the outside.

Of course going inside, I see a small gap in the seals in two corners. I know many others on this forum are adjusting their own seas (slide in your case) but, I will be taking mine in to the dealer so as not to void the warranty.

Anyway, pictures attached in PDF...
- Adam
Attached Files
File Type: pdf slider and seals.pdf (322.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #29

Question for you all, where did you install your TP holder?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Hey Dave.

It was a rainy day this morning so a good time to check out the seals. I found my slide to be flush as possible on all edges and appearing to make good contact with the seals from the outside.

Of course going inside, I see a small gap in the seals in two corners. I know many others on this forum are adjusting their own seas (slide in your case) but, I will be taking mine in to the dealer so as not to void the warranty.

Anyway, pictures attached in PDF...
- Adam
Thanks very much Adam. Definitely much tighter than mine.

I appreciate your efforts - great pictures I can use to show my so-called dealer. Huge dealership who seems to have no concern for after-sale support or warranty work. Very, very frustrating. I actually got the comment from one of their service advisors that I "need to accept the fact that RVs aren't really that great." From a dealership.

Thank you again - really appreciate your help.

Dave
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Question for you all, where did you install your TP holder?

I installed mine on the outside wall, tight up to the cabinet, just under the countertop. I figured that way it wouldn't be in the way of anything because you really don't stand tight against the wall when using the bathroom sink or mirror.

-D
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.Dave View Post
I installed mine on the outside wall, tight up to the cabinet, just under the countertop. I figured that way it wouldn't be in the way of anything because you really don't stand tight against the wall when using the bathroom sink or mirror.

-D
That's a good spot. Did you notice if there was plywood backing between the wallboard and styrofoam? I am debating on anchors or not. I figure under normal use no anchors should be ok. Just a little concerned about my youngest who likes to "reverse-engineer" things.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #33

Quote:
That's a good spot. Did you notice if there was plywood backing between the wallboard and styrofoam? I am debating on anchors or not. I figure under normal use no anchors should be ok. Just a little concerned about my youngest who likes to "reverse-engineer" things.

I actually have a workaround for that. Now don't laugh.

What I did in my old Rockwood 2306, and again in this one is used velcro in addition to the screws. I am never comfortable drilling or screwing into an outside wall - the last thing I want to hear is the splintering of fiberglass on the other side.

So, I lined my holders with double-sided velcro - you can buy them in those packs at your local Walmart/Target/what-have-you. I trimmed down a pad to fit over the back of the holder, and then carefully placed it on the wall where I wanted it before I screwed it into the wall. I have about 3/4" of screw in the actual wall, and its reinforced with the velcro pads. Rock solid. I put up a coat hanger to the left of the slide, as well, and it is very rigid and strong.

I used velcro instead of double-sided tape in case I ever want to pull it off for some reason. Tape would undoubtedly pull the covering off the wall, but the velcro can pull off with the holders leaving the second pad on the wall which could be gently pulled off.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #34

Slide gap

We just bought a 2016 245BH also and had an issue with the slide having a gap. Turns out the flange had a warp or curl in it. All fixed now but does anyone's Surveyor make a lot of noise when towing? Creaking noise?
Chadwick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick79 View Post
We just bought a 2016 245BH also and had an issue with the slide having a gap. Turns out the flange had a warp or curl in it. All fixed now but does anyone's Surveyor make a lot of noise when towing? Creaking noise?
Hi there.

Yes, ours makes a lot of noise when we are towing. Having had an
Rockwood with torsion suspension and then moving to this Surveyor with leaf suspension there is a huge difference in how it behaves on the road and the noise it makes.

Unfortunately it's just the nature of the suspension.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #36

Water Leak

So we had our first major issue with the 245 surveyor. Water coming in both bunk windows and also in outdoor kitchen. Anyone else have any problems yet with there trailer?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #37

I can't say that we have had any major issues yet. A lot of little things. have you found where the leak is coming from? Maybe the vent at the top bunk or the top window? I think these windows aren't supposed to need sealant but my dealer told me I should.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #38

Glad to see this thread being helpful! I don't know why, but I haven't gotten the notifications of all these latest posts?

1. My slide looks as tight as the pictures provided.

2. I did have a water issue the first week we picked it up. There was water in the LED lights on the front cap. I went on the roof (that was "inspected" by the dealer) and found minimal caulking along the seam at the roof/cap joint. I bought a tube of sealant and fixed myself. No additional water in the lights since then, but the original water is still in there 6 months later. I will go to the dealer in the middle of winter for light replacements. I encourage everyone to inspect there roof with their own eyes!

3. We haven't mounted the TP. I don't know if we will, but I like the velcro idea!

4. Be careful with the outside fridge. When you get home and it defrosts, it can drip to the particle board under it. Ours warped a tiny bit from this. I think we've decided to remove that fridge completely. The space would be better served for us as something else. Maybe an ice maker and our coffee pot.

5. Our slide makes the clicking noise too. Normal. However, I was told that it is not good to let it click a bunch. Speaking of the slide...our fuse blew one time. That will happen if you are doing it on battery alone. Try to slide when you are plugged into the running truck or plugged into shore power.

6. We find our trailer to tow much quieter than our previous. I don't hear anything except the friction bar we have installed.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #39

Yes we found the leak. It was coming in where the ladder meets the roof. It was a poor sealant job and the dealer fixed it. We camped a week ago and had some crazy rain and wind. no leaks!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #40

Audio Video

Has anybody played around with the sound bar and TV? I cant seem to run the DVD player through the TV without having the sound bar on. Hence DVD sound only comes through sound bar. Also can anyone get sound from just TV to come through the sound bar? Just wondering if there is an issue with my Audio outputs on the TV.

Tags
surveyor