Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Surveyor 245bhs questions/concerns

Hello All,

We have looked at about a million bunkhouse trailers and settled on the 245bhs or same floor plan with another maker as they all carry this one. Until, I discovered a few things.

The furnace is 20,000btu where the others are 30,000. A/C units appear to be the same.

The underbelly appears to be enclosed but not heated.

I am wondering what your experience is with this model or if these things are deal breakers for me? I was quoted $21,400 as the lowest price. Other makers that are at this quality level? Thanks!

wirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Cool

This is the TT and floor plan we are considering as well.
I'll foloow along to see what others have to say.

'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

I can't even tell you how many I've looked at in this floor plan. I still haven't found one I like better, even with the shortcomings it has.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

Sorry you may not have received the responses you wanted on the other thread.

I'll take a stab here:

1. The furnace I haven't even looked at the spec on mine. Whatever it is, on below freezing nights the furnace runs only once an hour for 5-10 minutes (i.e. it doesn't struggle to keep you comfortable)

2. I was under the impression that my underbelly was heated. But, I can't say I've verified this. I did read somewhere that the ducting for the furnace is routed alongside plumbing. In any case, I use it through the winter and haven't had a problem.

3. My memory is that I was out the door at $21k. Your price may have a hair of room, but not much.

4. Quality, from my research and beating the streets, I saw enough to feel that Surveyor stood out at this price point. I've camped in mine for about 300 nights so far and it has held up very well. No major issues and only a few small ones. That's pretty good considering the industry.

Hope that helps some.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

Not sure if my problem is tapatalk but my last question disappeared. What size A/C unit did you get? The standard is 13.5k btu with options to upgrade to 15k. How does it handle the summer heat / humidity? Worth the upgrade there?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Hi Wirides. We have the Surveyor 247BHDS, it a very similar model just has a second slide in the kitchen. We have the 13.5k BTU AC and it does a great job of cooling. MN summers can be hot and sticky outside, but the AC keeps us comfortable inside. We have camped in early spring and late fall where the heater was needed and I had similar experience to Tragusa3 where it runs, but not very long. We have the Arctic Package that specifies a heated and enclosed underbelly and also tank heaters on the fresh, grey, and black tanks. We have not used/needed these yet.

Overall, we are very satisfied with our Surveyor.

Enjoy.
(2018 F-150 Lariat SCREW HDPP soon to come )
Scottyb1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for! I'm almost certain this is the one for us.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

No problem at all with the 13.5 A/C. Does a nice job. Opting to 15k isn't necessary and would present new challenges, like being harder for a generator to run it.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb1707 View Post
...We have the 13.5k BTU AC and it does a great job of cooling...... We have the Arctic Package that specifies a heated and enclosed underbelly and also tank heaters on the fresh, grey, and black tanks. We have not used/needed these yet....
I agree with Scottyb1707. The 13.5k BTU AC does a good job of cooling our 247BHDS as well. My recommendation would be to run it early in the day to help maintain the trailer's lower temp as opposed to try to cool down a high temp trailer.

Looking at the window sticker, the Arctic package specifically states it's the tank heater pads. With or without the Arctic package, the enclosed underbelly will always have some residual heat from either direct ducting into the underbelly or the ducting running through the underbelly and radiating heat.

Either way, the Surveyors seem to be well built and thought out trailers.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

I came to same conclusion but still wonder why they don't direct duct the 245bhs but do next size up and beyond. In the end, I will be fine for what I am planning.

Tags
surveyor