Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Surveyor 264 using gas side of water heater

Last weekend nothing I did would cause the light to come on when I turned on the switch for gas to water heater. The fuse and breaker are fine, but no light, as well as no trying to light either. Is the switch first thing I should replace?
chief1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2

Was it working previously, or is this the first time you are trying it?

If it's the same as mine, the ON position for the gas heat is actually down not up. The light should turn on only temporarily then go out. If the light goes out and stays out it means it's working, but it should light unless of course you also have the electrical heater ON in which case the water might already be hot so no need for gas burner to ignite.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

It was working 2 weeks earlier. The light does go off after it lights, but it never came on and never attempted to light. I thought I had turned it on before with the electric so I am not sure what you are saying with that. I guess I need to light when electric is off to test...thanks for the advice.
chief1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

In addition to switching the electric element off, run the hot water to replace the water in the heater with cold water. That way you can be sure that the water in the tank is cold enough for the gas heater thermostat to try to start the gas burner.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Before you start replacing stuff I'd suggest getting a volt meter out. Before anything as the other guys said I would make sure there is water in the heater and that it is cold enough for the heater to kick on. I believe the Light will kick on instantly whether there is water in it or not, even it is up to "hot" temp the light will come on briefly then go out if its like mine at least.

I would suggest seeing if the electric portion will heat the water as well. If it doesn't there may be a few things wrong... Could be a thermostat or loss of power/ground to the heater.

I'd suggest starting with the basics and working you way to the harder items...

Keep us up to date on your findings and I will see what I can do to help!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

Just to confirm I tested mine on the weekend. I first heated the water on electric. When I flipped the propane heat switch ON, nothing happened. no light. When the water in the tank was cooled down, and I flipped the switch to ON the light came on momentarily and it lit.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote