Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Surveyor 285 RBDS Kitchen Slide

Hi, new to the forum. I'm looking to purchase a 285 RBDS. I have some questions about the slides, for anybody that owns or is familiar with the model:

1) It seems that the kitchen slide has to bear a lot of weight, what with the stove, microwave, stored items and two refrigerators on it. Is anybody aware of any problems with the slide? It seems that it doesn't extend out too far, compared with the other slide

2) How difficult is it to manually operate the slides? I'd like to have the option to do that while boondocking to save battery power, or in case of a technical problem. I've seen some slides that you have to practically deconstruct the trailer to get to the mechanism!

3) I'd also appreciate any general comments and insights about the model from those in the know

Thanks,

Mark
MarkSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #2

Well, thanks a lot for all of the feedback. Sigh....
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Well Mark i can only say that we own a new 2014 275 surveyor sport and i do see were you are going with the weight of the slide but are slide is not real deep and the kitchen is in it with couch slide out we only used it most of the summer and i dont for see any problems in , that area. we really like ours so far dont know if that gives you any comfort to purchase
buckaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback! The 275 slide seems to be bearing similar weight to the 285 galley slide. My main concern is how difficult it is to retract the slide manually, should we have a technical glitch out in the boonies. Do you know what kind of mechanism works the slide, ie jack screw, chain driven, etc?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

Have the kitchen slide on my 295, an issue with plumbing moving back and forth.
Can't prove it but a fitting leak behind the oven (what genius put a fresh water fitting there) caused by extra movement.
I think any time you move plumbing you increase risk.
That being said love my camper.
Db

2015-26days, 2014-32days,
2013-33days, 2012-30days
brownie289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSH View Post
Thanks for the feedback! The 275 slide seems to be bearing similar weight to the 285 galley slide. My main concern is how difficult it is to retract the slide manually, should we have a technical glitch out in the boonies. Do you know what kind of mechanism works the slide, ie jack screw, chain driven, etc?
I've never really looked underneath to see how these things work. Mine is an 07 SV291 with the kitchen in the slide. I'll have to go out and see what's up with it. It can't be too complex. On mine it has the stove, micro, sink and the jack knife sofa.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #7

I'm looking at one with a kitchen slide, but the sink's in an island and stationary... no plumbing in the slide.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #8

We have a Surveyor 240 Sports, with the same kitchen slide out it is two years old and about 8,000 miles. We have never had a problem with the slide, if you remove the bottom panels you can see the mechanics of the slide. I would suggest you look and see what you need to have in your tool box so if it fails you will have what you need. I worry more about the electric awning failing but so far everything has held up. Good luck in your camping.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, surveyor