Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #1

Surveyor AXle Issues

Does anyone have a Forest River contact, dealer can't get Forest River to look at the Trailer. They want him to contact the frame manufacturer Lippert. Is that normal? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheeselog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #2

Call the 800 number on the brochure. I had Lippert issues on my Salem and FR did all the work to have them replaced at my dealer. The reps name I have does not work for any other division besides Salem otherwise I would forward on info. I hope I dont have any issues with my Surveyor's axles!
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

CHD Dad,

Thanks for the feedback and I will give that a shot.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Any details you can share in regards to your axle problems?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Dave,

While towing the trailer I notice the drivers side was not straight with the lane markers. The back of the trailer was 4"-6" closer to the lane marker that the front. The right side I could only see the very front corner of the trailer. I figured that the axles were not perpendicular to the frame of the trailer. I then measured from the tongue of the trailer to each axle using a digital laser measuring device. I had a 5/8" difference in the two measurements. I then took it to my local forest river dealer and and they confirmed that I was correct. Forest River will not touch it and told my dealer to call Lippert . They called Lippert (the frame manufacturer) and they can not get a return phone call. The dealer is fixing my refer right now so I am going to call lippert once I have my trailer and documents back.

Cheeselog77
Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

We are having axle problems with our 2011 Grey Wolf. Lippert would not replace them, FR is covering them under the 2nd year warranty. They are also replacing all 4 tires.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

My trailer is a 2012 and I also purchased a additional year warranty. Once I have my trailer back, I will push for the repair with FR and Lippert.

Cheeselog 77
Old 08-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #8

I keep reading about these problems with different lippert axles and frames on different brands of TT and lippert never wants to ever do anything and seems FR always gets stuck with it or they don't want to do anything about either. I dont get it when does FR put there foot down and say enough. Lippert obviously has a problem and never wants to live up to it and will not change. How can a company like this stay in business. And why does FR keep putting up this $h!t. They seem to be spending a lot of money repairing lippert junk. I known there is a large amount of people on here and only some of us have problems but it seems like to many to me for lippert and FR does nothing about it. Sorry but this just doesn't make sense to me. Something needs to be done to lippert.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeselog77 View Post
Does anyone have a Forest River contact, dealer can't get Forest River to look at the Trailer. They want him to contact the frame manufacturer Lippert.
Are you sure that you have a Lippert frame ?? I have a Dexter frame on my 2008 Surveyor with Lippert axles.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm disappointed to heard that Forest River would ask a customer with an axle (or frame) problem to deal with Lippert directly. I don't think this is like other purchased components used in the camper, such as A/C, microwave, WH. The axles and frame are integral parts of the camper.

I seen in another post where the customer was asked to contact the axle manufacturer directly as it was felt that the expertise to solve the problem was with the axle manufacturer. I understand but think that Forest River should initiate the contact with Lippert, outline the problem, provide the customer with name/number of the contact at Lippert and follow-up with the customer to determine if the problm was resolved.

Because of this disconnect, it appears that Forest River doesn't stand behind their warranty where Lippert is concerned.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #11

mtnguy,

I was told that it was a lippert frame. It is in the shop getting the refer fixed and when I get it back I plan to verify what it is. Did your paperwork say that yours is a dexter or is it stamped on the frame?

Cheeselog77
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I found this on the inside of the tongue frame near the coupler:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Frame 001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	17518

My axles are Lippert.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

mtnguy,

Thanks for the reply, I will check it and let you know.

Cheeselog77
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #14

Did you ever get in touch with FR directly? Do you have a frame issue or axle issue - or both? My axles lost camber on a brand new Salem. I actually blew a tire out and it left me stranded with a 1yr old, 3 yr old and pregnant wife in 94 degree heat for almost two hours while Coachnet came to fix it (we were new campers with a TT and I didnt have the proper tools with me to swap to the spare). Not fun! FR didnt give me any issues at all. I took it to my dealer and FR had Lippert send heavier duty axles to the dealer along with 5 new tires, 4 for the TT and the spare. It took over a month to get things fixed due to Lippert being slow but it was all done free of charge. All I had to do was send photos to him of the axles, their stickers showing date of manufacture and serial numbers and photos of the tires (all were scrubbing bad due to the alignment issue).
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #15

CHD DAD,

I will be picking up my trailer from my local surveyor dealer friday 8/10. They were not able to fix my refrigerator (you got to hear this) because they do not have the diagnostic tools to do the job. It happens to be my local Ford dealership. They can sell them, but they can't fix them! I called the dealership I bought it from and they said they could fix everything. They said they would fix the refer themselves and send out the trailer for an axle alignment shop for trailers. My local place could not do crap. The only bad thing is that I will have to drive 4 hours each way to get it fixed. I did not get a response from Forest River and my dealer I bought it from said that they will have to go through the frame/axle manufacturer. My issue is difinitely an alignment problem. This problem might take a month to fix. I don't understand that it takes so long to fix. The automobile manufacturers don't have that problem.

Cheeselog77
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
DDC

Quote:
I keep reading about these problems with different lippert axles and frames on different brands of TT and lippert never wants to ever do anything and seems FR always gets stuck with it or they don't want to do anything about either. I dont get it when does FR put there foot down and say enough. Lippert obviously has a problem and never wants to live up to it and will not change. How can a company like this stay in business. And why does FR keep putting up this $h!t. They seem to be spending a lot of money repairing lippert junk. I known there is a large amount of people on here and only some of us have problems but it seems like to many to me for lippert and FR does nothing about it. Sorry but this just doesn't make sense to me. Something needs to be done to lippert.
I'd say they will sit up and pay attention AFTER someone dies as a result of their continued use of questionable products, of course this will only happen after the family launches a multimillion dollar suit that only an really dumb lawyer could lose.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #17

All,
I would like to update my trailer axle issue with you all. Called up the place that I purchased the trailer from which is four hours from my house. Downloaded them with the axle issue and refrigerator issue. They could not believe the run around I was getting from the local dealer where I live. They told me to bring it back to them and they would fix it. I picked it up two weeks later and it does tow straight now and the refrigerator also works now. The axles were 5/8" out of square with the frame. Lessons learned: 1. take it back where you purchased it 2. Call the warranty rep for the trailer manufacturer and don't take no for an answer.

Thanks to all that replied to my post, Cheeselog77
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeselog77 View Post
All,
I would like to update my trailer axle issue with you all. Called up the place that I purchased the trailer from which is four hours from my house. Downloaded them with the axle issue and refrigerator issue. They could not believe the run around I was getting from the local dealer where I live. They told me to bring it back to them and they would fix it. I picked it up two weeks later and it does tow straight now and the refrigerator also works now. The axles were 5/8" out of square with the frame. Lessons learned: 1. take it back where you purchased it 2. Call the warranty rep for the trailer manufacturer and don't take no for an answer.

Thanks to all that replied to my post, Cheeselog77
very curious who your "local dealer" is...my local surveyor dealer is a Ford dealer as well, actually going to look at a trailer there this afternoon.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I'd say they will sit up and pay attention AFTER someone dies as a result of their continued use of questionable products, of course this will only happen after the family launches a multimillion dollar suit that only an really dumb lawyer could lose.

I am of the opinion that some of the Forest River products are under equipped. (case in point some of the heavier VIBE 6500 series - equipped with a single 3500 lb Lippert GAWR.) I have decided not to pursue the dealer/manufacturer for a resolution to my concern but am independantly having the unit upgraded to a 6,000 lb Dexter axle/hub combination as well as beefing up the wheels from 14 inch to 15 inch 6 bolt hub and ST R225-15 load rating "E" 2800 lb tires.

I was in contact with lippert to discuss my concerns with the specifications on the unit, however they were somewhat reluctant to discuss the issue.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #20

The last trailer I owned was a Forest River Rockwood 8318ss and the only issue I had was the tires were too small including the load range. After the first and only tire blew I pointed out the tire size and load range were wrong. They reimbursed me for 5 new tires 225-75-15 load range D and I never had any more issues. I read that your tires should support your trailer fully loaded plus 20 % on top of that for a safety factor. So if the maximum GVWR is 10,000 lbs, your tires gross weight rating should handle 12,000 lbs. Each tire should handle 3,000 lbs. My new trailer has these same tires and I have not had any issues.

Tags
axle