Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #1

Surveyor - cant drain or pump antifreeze from potable tank

Today 12:21 AMBtennant
I have a 13 Forest River Sport (33'), w/ tankless hw heater. To winterize, I went under the potable fill, found a small white line, opened it and drained the water, closed the drain pipe, then poured 3 gallons of antifreeze in the potable tank, which opening was directly above that drain line. This is what my manual said to do. I went inside, turned on my pump, and waited for the af to come out. After 5 minutes of water coming out, then very foamy water, then a trickle of water, I never got any pink, so I turned off the pump. I have no idea how it could have produced clear water for that long w/o any antifreeze coming out. After looking on the inside, I then found the bypass valve with hose under the fridge, switched the tee valve over, put the hose into a bottle of af, turned the pump back on, and af came through the sink. So, my pump works. I went outside, opened up the same line underneath that I did earlier (to get af out to use with the bypass house inside), but nothing other than a trickle of water came out. I found a 2nd line feet from it, opened that line, but only a trickle of water came out of it also. No antifreeze from either drain line!!!!!!!! So, where did my 3 gallons of antifreeze go that I poured into the potable tank, and why won't my pump pull it from the potable tank? By the way, I have an underbelly that keeps me from actually seeing the tanks. I'm very confused. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Btennant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:35 AM   #2

Depends on where the fitting is located on the F/W tank, 3gal and a slight lean might not be enough! I would guess you're A/F went into the W/H system? Covered underbelly and R/V plumbing makes it hard to trouble shoot! Youroo! !
Old 11-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Just curious, did you bypass and drain the HW tank first? If not you might have filled the HW tank with AF. As for the fresh water tank, make sure the trailer is level or leaning toward the drain side of the tank. Fill and drain the fresh water tank several times and you will be ok.
Sounds like you still had some water in your fresh tank prior to adding the antifreeze and you ended up with an extremely diluted solution. Some tanks still manage to hold a fair bit of water, even when they are drained.
Glad you found the bypass and hose for winterizing.... much easier...

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Did you put the anti-freeze into your fresh water tank? That is generally not a good idea as it can be difficult to get rid of it later.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, drain, pump, surveyor, tank