Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #1

Surveyor Ladder Installation

Has anyone had any luck with a post production ladder addition? I know blocking issues have been brought up before... some say they aren't blocked if a ladder isn't installed at the factory, and some say post 2009 all units are blocked.

So I got in touch with the Surveyor administrator out there in Indiana. At first all he would say was that "it's not recommended if they weren't installed at the factory", but when I pressed him a bit in another email he did say that it was his understanding that all units are in fact blocked, but he wouldn't give me any type of help in locating the blocks. All he would say was to go out on a cold morning and I should be able to see the framing.

So I already knew that when trying to locate the wall studs, but I can't seem to see anything up on the roof. I was looking on putting on one of those universal jobs that just mount on the roof and bumper... nothing into the back wall.

I also tried an aluminum stud finder and a sonic locator, but no dice. Any advice would be appreciated. Or better yet.. anyone willing to get a measurement for their current roof mounts for their factory installed ladder?

My rig is a 2012 Sport 220
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

I have a 2007 Surveyor with no ladder. I'll be watching this thread since I'm very interested in adding one myself. I haven't tried to find the braces yet.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

Anyone? It would sure prove helpful. Probably anything from a 2009 to a 2014 I would think would be about the same. From what I gather, the IN factory installs them as standard, but the west coast factory only installs as supply is available.... but the frames are identical and blocked.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I have been camping the last week and would have been happy to do some measurements. I put our trailer away into our storage garage (about 30 min away) yesterday. If still needed, I can take a few measurements and maybe a few pictures the next time I am down there but it may be a few weeks. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

As many folks are ending their season I thought I might try and "bump" this once. Don't mean to be a nuisance.

~Cheers
Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #6

I too think a ladder would be handy but have read on here some where that if a ladder didn't come with it, there wouldn't be any blocking installed to install a ladder. Ours is a 2013 SP-260 and short of ripping the bathroom and bunks out to ensure proper blocking I do not for see me getting one.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Buckskin

Surveyor 2014, came with ladder
Sorry can't help you but used ladder first time yesterday to get on top and install vent covers. I was surprised at how firm the roof was when I got on top. I have only used ladder once in 9 months.

Ladder is great asset to have but unless you plan on going on top a bunch a good extension ladder would work just as good or you could get one of those specialty ladders at Camping World that fold down to small size.

I always carry 4 foot step ladder to aide in getting in back of pickup but also can reach everything on side of camper that may need attention.
Buckskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
if a ladder didn't come with it, there wouldn't be any blocking installed to install a ladder.
I've read that more than a few times to, but I also read the opposite. I went straight to the horses mouth to get the real story... their official line is that they do not recommend it. Pushing a bit... he told me that all post 2009 Surveyor Sports frames are identical and blocked for ladders.

If you look at the back of your rig on a cold morning you can see the blocking in the back. I'm just trying to figure out where the block is up top.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
Surveyor 2014, came with ladder
Would you mind measuring in from the edges where your ladder mounts are up top? It should be the same since the ladders themselves are identical.

I have a collapsible 7' ladder I use now, but I am up and down regularly cleaning my panels. It would be much more convenient to have one permanently mounted.

If you don't mind I would sure owe you one.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
I've read that more than a few times to, but I also read the opposite. I went straight to the horses mouth to get the real story... their official line is that they do not recommend it. Pushing a bit... he told me that all post 2009 Surveyor Sports frames are identical and blocked for ladders.

If you look at the back of your rig on a cold morning you can see the blocking in the back. I'm just trying to figure out where the block is up top.
Good to know. I will have to look into this as well. And by all means if you go ahead with the ladder install please to take pictures to educate the rest of us.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #11

I store my camper in a garage at my in-laws property. Finally got back down there yesterday, being Thanksgiving and all, and took a few measurements. We have a 2011 SP260 with the ladder that has 4 mounts on the back and 2 on the roof at the right rear corner. It sounds like you are just looking for info on the roof mounts. Our roof ladder mounts are 2.5" and 13.5" from the right side edge and 12" from the back edge. I took a quick picture that shows the roof mounts. I have no idea if this will work for your trailer but good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	66906  
Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chof16 View Post
I have no idea if this will work for your trailer but good luck.
My friend... THANK YOU!! Exactly what I needed! Cheers on ya!
I did a small test hole at the 12" and 13 1/2" centers that you measured.. sure enough!! Blocked! I dicor'd the test hole and will be going down to pick up the universal ladder for the install.

Never would have run a test hole through my roof without those measurements. I owe you!

For anyone else looking to do the same, I will follow-up after I get'r done.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #13

You bet. Good luck with your project. I would be interested in hearing how it works out.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #14

install surveyor ladder

I too will be installing a ladder on my 226. I attempted to purchase a ladder from surveyor parts and they flat refused to sell me one. I am one who constantly modifies my equipment and have never had a modification not work well. I reserve the right to figure it out for myself. The trailer technology is much lower than I am accustomed to. I am often dismayed at parts pushers trying to figure out what im trying to do. I dont mind some advice but to flat refuse to sell me the part makes me go ballistic. Surveyor asked me for my vin so they knew I was asking for a ladder for the 226. I was attempting to buy a ladder from a different model and adapt to fit as I see necessary.
I can see some supports for the back of the trailer for attachment. However the 226 has refer exhast on that side. I am probably going to mount a ladder up the middle instead of the sides I have to clear obstacles up top and have found a ladder that wiil do that from a different model forest river trlr. Up the middle I do not have the same support structure but there are several ways to skin that cat. One is adding a support structure inside that will also double as a mount for an inside cabinet above my toilet. Another idea is the adjustible framing used on aftermarket ladders that use two horizontal bars mounted accross the back of the trailer that can be secured to any number of the stock hard points. Ive got a local trailer mfg outfit that is going to beef up my rear bumper and add something simular to what they put on the 2015 1/2 models (mines a 2015). I will incorporate the structure with the ladder I will install. If I use the horizontal bars I will have more flexibility in any attachments I may want such as flg poles antenna mounts or a 50 cal. Etc.
sorry if I ran on , but these are the voices I hear in my gear head brain. Happy travels....Walt
dont tread on me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #15

surveyor ladder addition.

I'm waiting for my warranty to be up. Surveyor Parts Div. was no help at all. I just measured simular models at my dealership for reinforcement locations. I also just bought a "precision sensors" electronic stud finder at Costco for around 30 bucks. Using the stud finder confirmed the locations of the "blocking" for a ladder. Now I just have to find the ladder that will fit my needs. There are reasons why they did not offer a ladder for my model. But they are idiots and can't seem to figure it out. I have a 2015 226RBDS. Good luck with your project....Walt
dont tread on me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor