Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #1

Surveyor questions

Hello everyone! We've been searching for a travel trailer for over a year now and finally have narrowed it down to a SV-234 (or possibly a SV-210). I recently spoke with a "wholesaler" in Ohio who said the new '07 Surveyor Ultra Lights are upgraded from the older models. She says they now have a heated underbelly, plus some other things I really can't remember!! Is this true? Personally, I like the earlier models that have the window in the front. (She said they tend to leak.) Are there any Surveyor owners out there with an '05, '06, or '07 Surveyor or even older that would mind giving me some input?

We found a new '05 a couple hours from us, but the dealer wants nearly as much for it as we can get a brand new one for! Too bad, 'cause I like the pictures I've seen of it.

Thanks in advance.

Trudy
Paintfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #2

Hi Trudy.

Welcome to the forum.

Wish I could help you on the Surveyor.
One thing I can say, the heated underbelly is nice. It's good to wake up on a cold morning and set your feet on a warm floor.

Good luck on your search.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #3

We have a 2003 Grand Surveyor with the front window & the only water that got in uninvited was from the bedroom roof vent being open in the rain prior to installing the MaxxAir covers. We have very few defects and have been able to DIY on all but one item. We camp from April through October so do have occasion to use the furnace to bring the unit up to temp and maintain temp with an electric space heater keeping the furnace set at about 60. No problems with freezing (yet). We go to the camper shows every spring and have seen some positive and negative changes to the Grand Surveyor layout. The loss of the front window is a big negative for us. We look forward to maintaining our 2003 and enjoying it for a long time!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #4

Thank you both for responding. We went to the RV show yesterday and finally got to see a Surveyor in person. We were really impressed, although the two that were there were way too large for us.

It's good to know you've had no issues with the front window, Grand Surveyor. That window would be a huge plus for us also. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed the we will be able to work something out on the '05. Maybe we'd do better if we actually went there and talked to them. Think it would help if I looked real pitiful? LOL

Does your Surveyor have the heated underbelly? Other than that, I really can't see that much difference in the model years. I'm sure it would be nice, but not sure if we should let that be a "deal breaker" for us.

Again, thanks.

Trudy
Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #5

Paintfool,

Yes, the underside is enclosed and heated when the furnace is running. The ductwork goes underfloor and feeds the underside. Darn thing nearly put the dog into orbit when it came on & she was lying on one of the floor registers!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

Hey, that's something I hadn't even thought of! Our Westie, who will definitely be traveling with us, is a big floor register hog! LOL

Trudy
Old 01-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #7

As with most - it's nice of our furry travel friends to allow us to use their stuff!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #8

We have an 2004 Surveyor SV261, our first TT, and have not had any problem except for a few loose screws. It is nice to have the front window for the natural light it provides. We bought it used from a dealer about this time of year and got a good deal. It does not have enclosed waste tanks, all heat ducts and fresh water tank are internal to the coach. We usually use a small ceramic electric heater in the spring and fall. We've had lots of fun camping with it and it's been comfortable to tow.
boaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #9

We have a '05 Grand Surveryor 280. We bought it 7 mos. old a little over a year ago. It has a front BR/rear LR. Wonderful for backing up next to a lake or river in State and Nat'l Parks, our favorite campsites. We have a front window but since it is in the BR along with two side windows we never open it and in fact the rock shield/awning came loose and broke the window on our 3200 mile vacation this last summer so I could have lived without it. Our only problem has been the water filter broke loose and was laying on the pump. Made one heck of a racket which was embarassing when "going" in the middle of the night. Discovered the problem after getting home and fixed it right. We really didn't much about trailers when we bought this one but haven't found one that suited us any better so we are happy campers.

Gene Lueg
Gene Lueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #10

Just bought a 2003 GS290. pick it up on Thurs.
chambersb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Site Team

I have an 06 GS-280 and love it. It has had only one minor issue that I took care of. If I remember right it was 07 when they quit making the Grand Surveyor and incorporated the differences of the GS into the Surveyor line (enclosed underbelly, heated tanks, etc.). As for the front window, I prefer not to have one. I much prefer the large rear one.

Tags
surveyor