Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Smile surveyor rear slide manual crank

I just bought a 2007 Surveyor SV235RS with rear slide. I have searched here and the entire internet for how to locate the manual crank in case of motor failure. I cannot find it. Anybody that knows right where it is or can suggest further action for me? There doesn't appear to be any special crank handle included with the trailer either.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you have a hole in the side of the trailer on the opposite side of the slide.
Crank is normally the same crank you use for your stabilizer jacks.

Name:   images-1.jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  4.5 KB

turbs

Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

OK, you other "rear slider guys", who has had to manually operate the slide? I have never had the need on mine, and can't say for sure I would know how if I had to. My unit did not come with any instructions on the slide motor. I would be good to know, just in case
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

The slide is at the rear, so the opposite would be at the front of the trailer, as far from the slide and motor as you could get. But yes, I have searched for any visible hole or slot around the entire perimiter of the unit. It seems as if the manufacturer thinks the motor will never quit working if supplied with power. This begs a new question - One cannot figure out how to manually crank rear slide in and the motor fails; Can you drive home with the rear slide hanging out??? I would think not.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahocamper View Post
The slide is at the rear, so the opposite would be at the front of the trailer, as far from the slide and motor as you could get. But yes, I have searched for any visible hole or slot around the entire perimiter of the unit. It seems as if the manufacturer thinks the motor will never quit working if supplied with power. This begs a new question - One cannot figure out how to manually crank rear slide in and the motor fails; Can you drive home with the rear slide hanging out??? I would think not.
Can you see the motor?

Pictures?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

After removing small panel cover under the slide (bed) I can see the motor and "parts". I am leaving town for 5 days, but when I get back I will try and get some photo's of the motor area and specifically the only area on the motor that looks like a socket might go on for crank. I hope this isn't it though because socket handle for crank travel is severly limited and looks as if it would take days to crank slide in or out a quarter inch at a time.

Another reason this doesn't seem like the area for manual crank is that it is under the slide. So IF it were to be where you crank, while you crank the bed/slide would be coming toward you and over your head while you duck down to get out of slides line of travel. Thanks so much for your input and time trying to help me out!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Let us know when u can !

Turbs
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #8

After looking at mine today, I think Idahocamper is correct. You have to get to the socket on the motor in the rear wall to crank it in. It would take a long time. I think someone might be able to push it from the outside and help it along. You have to be on youe belly, on the floor and you crank because the bedin going to come in over your head. I hope I NEVER have to do this!
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #9

I bring a drill to lower my support jacks and it is the same size socket for the slide so I always am ready in case I need to manually put the slide in. It is not bad if you lay on the floor, open the small door below the slide and can you easily reach it with a drill. Luckily I have not had to manually put the slide in yet.

Too see what you would need to manually turn, have someone put the slide in while you watch the motor and it is pretty easy to tell.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

Well I finally succeeded (sort of)! I determined there was a bar with socket looking end on the end of the motor behind the wall under the bed. There is a small panel door that you can remove to help you see this area, but very very limited working space. I put a 3/4 socket on the end and turned it. I was limited to less than 1/2 turn at a time. The slide moved about 1/16" with a few turns. I was finally on to something. I cut a round hole in the face of the wall above the access panel directly across from this motor bar socket. Now I put a long hollow 3/4 socket attachment to my cordless and through the hole and onto the socket end. Pulled the trigger and Zinga! the slide starts moving in very easily. Long story short - I put it in and out a foot or so, then lay on the floor and moved the slide in about 3 feet over my head - but not all the way in. I was now satisfied I could put slide in or out if my motor ever died. I manually put slide back out, went over to in/out switch on wall - pressed in and there was motor noise, but no movement. Held it longer - nothing. Tried out, tried in, nothing. Noise from the slide motor but no movement of any kind. Bummer - one problem fixed and new one in it's place. Now my slide wont go out with switch. ( and i was hooked up to electrical power by the way). BUT - I can sure as heck put it out manually now!! I guess I take it in for repair this week. Thats my luck - If it try to fix something I break something else. No wonder my wife says - Please dont touch it!