Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Surveyor SP-293 Underbelly

My wife and I are looking at an SP-293. When we were at the dealer I ask if the underbelly was enclosed. He bent down and said it was. I did not check behind him. We got home and was looking through the brochure and it listed as "(N/A)Sport". I suppose to go back Monday and put a deposit down so they can service it so we can pick it up later in the week.

Does anyone have a Sport that has an enclosed underbelly?
Are the sport models torsion or leaf spring suspension?

Thanks for all your input.

Greg
Haligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligan View Post
My wife and I are looking at an SP-293. When we were at the dealer I ask if the underbelly was enclosed. He bent down and said it was. I did not check behind him. We got home and was looking through the brochure and it listed as "(N/A)Sport". I suppose to go back Monday and put a deposit down so they can service it so we can pick it up later in the week.

Does anyone have a Sport that has an enclosed underbelly?
Are the sport models torsion or leaf spring suspension?

Thanks for all your input.

Greg
Any sports I've seen do NOT have an enclosed underbelly. If I am wrong, I will hear about it!

From what I understand with the sport models you don't get;

- the enclosed underbelly

- torsion suspension

- water filtration

- the roof may be a different thickness although it doesn't list your model specifically. ( there is reference on the website to the sp275 and sp280 having non ducted 1 1/2" thick roof vs. the 3" ducted roof offered on the regular surveyor models)

- the wall clock

message center (which actually hides the slide switch for my small children )

- the DSI water heater is an option on the sport model. If you are in campgrounds all the time I would be interested in being able to heat your water with electricity, after all you pay for it with the site fees). I am not positive that this is the difference.

So, unfortunately you have picked a floor plan that is not also a regular surveyor plan. The surveyor 264 is the closest you will come. I am not a big fan of rear kitchens if you travel a lot. Remember riding the school bus when you were a kid? The pots, pans, dishes etc. are going to be in for quite a ride going anywhere. Again, maybe I am wrong but I've heard lot's of complaints with rear kitchen units - this being the biggest.

Guess it comes down to what you really want (and price, I'm sure). The enclosed underbelly will give your trailer a little extra protection from road debris. When forest river says it is heated they mean from the duct work passing through the bottom of the floor. This is more of a good sounding idea than actually anything that I would pay for (being that it is not insulated). It is only a sheet of plastic that would not hold up well to a transport tire or something really hard.

The torsion suspension gives two benefits; a low ride height and a crude form of shocks. You can get shocks added to leaf spring suspension also.

Several people have made a box with a filter and pressure regulator in it. The clock, what can I say!

You might want to make sure that the tires are radial tires also. Chances are they are all made in china now, no matter the brand.

hope this helps, any more questions don't be shy!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

My 186 Sport does not have the enclosed underbelly. Our dealer said he could add heating pads to the tanks ($400) and enclose the underbelly (another $400). He also said frozen tanks would do no harm unless they were full, so we decided not to do it. A good point was made above, though, about the enclosure protecting the underside of the camper from road debris. It did come with Tow Max radial tries, which I would guess are not only made in China, but are probably the cheapest tires made in China.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

I have an SP280, which I love so far. The underbelly is not enclosed.
mschaef114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor, underbelly