Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker76 View Post
Took the day off today and drove 1.5 hours up to the dealer. Recall took about an hour and a half. No biggie, they just moved the LP line over a couple of inches. Didn't realize the suspension flexed enough to contact the floor.
That's probably why they changed the suspension on the 2013 models!

Manitoba, Canada
2012 Surveyor

2012 - 38 Days Camping
lami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lami View Post
That's probably why they changed the suspension on the 2013 models!
They moved it out of the way of the U bolt, which is only 3/8" thick. Now, the LP line which is close to being 1" thick, was crushed flat. I could see the axle still hitting the line. I'm not a math whiz, but I believe there is no great fix, I can see me having the line replaced again in the future.
Wolfpacker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker76 View Post
They moved it out of the way of the U bolt, which is only 3/8" thick. Now, the LP line which is close to being 1" thick, was crushed flat. I could see the axle still hitting the line. I'm not a math whiz, but I believe there is no great fix, I can see me having the line replaced again in the future.
Yeah my service guy has pointed out that the u-bolt and axle are hitting the frame on the other side as well. I have two small dents on my frame. He says the whole suspension is too low and expects it will continue damaging the line even after the line is moved. I 'm afraid we have a suspension problem not just a LP line recall problem. I have contacted my dealer and they are contacting Forest River. We will see what happens. There is a reason they changed the suspension on the 2013 models!!

Manitoba, Canada
2012 Surveyor

2012 - 38 Days Camping
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #24

Yes!! Same with mine...

...had the line moved by my dealer after receiving the recall letter from Forest River. Checked under the trailer after our most recent trip since the repair and low and behold...the gas line is now being flattened by the axel itself!!! Boy, are we mad! Forest River needs to make this right!! We are very interested to hear further experiences with FR support regarding this issue. Who have you spoken with at FR? What was their response?
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
...had the line moved by my dealer after receiving the recall letter from Forest River. Checked under the trailer after our most recent trip since the repair and low and behold...the gas line is now being flattened by the axel itself!!! Boy, are we mad! Forest River needs to make this right!! We are very interested to hear further experiences with FR support regarding this issue. Who have you spoken with at FR? What was their response?
Take it back to the dealer and have him either put a riser kit on the suspension or cut the gas line, install 4 street ells, a nipple and go over the axle with about 2" clearance and come back down behind the axle(s).
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #26

dunnnc you have hit the nail on the head!!

The suspension on these trailers are no where near stong enough. They definatley need a lift kit. Mine only has about an inch and a half clearance. I fully expect it to crush the moved LP line. I believe Forest River in the end is going to have to do a recall on the suspensions because it's the suspension that's causing the damage.

As far as Forest River support goes my dealer put in a call to Susan Thornberg from Forest River on Friday and I left a message on her machine. I have heard nothing from her yet today! I have left her several voice mail messages since the recall began and I have yet to have her return my calls. Not impressed so far!

Manitoba, Canada
2012 Surveyor

2012 - 38 Days Camping
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #27

Well, just checked mine and it's crushed at the back axle. Think I will talk to the dealer about Dunnnc's suggestion. Wish me luck!
Barraacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
DDC

Make sure you all complain to your State or Provincial D.O.T. voluntary recalls are rare they need to be prodded, the products we buy must be safe for road use.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #29

Heading to Charleston this evening, will check my LP line once I get there. I wonder if they could use a more heavy duty leaf spring? What do I need to do to put more pressure on FR to help get this issue with our Surveyors fixed, instead of just bandaged?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #30

Barraacres and slipf18 ......

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how are you guys able to inspect your lines? Don't you have an enclosed underbelly? Or are you taking it back to the dealer each time?
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #31

We do have an enclosed underbelly, however the line is bolted to the right side frame and is not enclosed in the underbelly. Easy to see; it's the LP line that goes to the external fitting for propane grills and such. There either needs to be a heavy duty leaf spring installed, or re-route the LP line underneath the enclosed underbelly, if that is even possible.

Easy to inspect yourself: crawl under your Surveyor behind the right rear axle and see if the LP line is crushed. It's a copper line enclosed in a black rigid plastic sheath (if thats the right word, sounds like I'm describing Camelot, but you get the picture).

Mine was mashed flat. Quick repair at the dealer, however, I see it happening again.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt87 View Post

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how are you guys able to inspect your lines? Don't you have an enclosed underbelly? Or are you taking it back to the dealer each time?
We do have an enclosed underbelly, however the line is bolted to the right side frame and is not enclosed in the underbelly. Easy to see; it's the LP line that goes to the external fitting for propane grills and such. There either needs to be a heavy duty leaf spring installed, or re-route the LP line underneath the enclosed underbelly, if that is even possible.

Easy to inspect yourself: crawl under your Surveyor behind the right rear axle and see if the LP line is crushed. It's a copper line enclosed in a black rigid plastic sheath (if thats the right word, sounds like I'm describing Camelot, but you get the picture).

Mine was mashed flat. Quick repair at the dealer, however, I see it happening again.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #33

Ah, I got it. I thought it was already enclosed. I will take a look - thanks.

I just had mine repaired a couple weeks ago. We took it out this past weekend, so I'm curious if it got pinched again.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt87 View Post

The gas line on the SP 240 runs outside the enclosed underbelly seal and between that and the axles. My dealer re-routed the propane line, as per Forest River's instructions, away from the port side rail and around the U-bolt and axel mount. Since the "fix" has it now running between the underbelly and axels, it is visibly being crushed at points where both of the axels rise up when the suspension is under compression. Spoke with Susan Thornberg at FR...she was understanding and helpful. She contacted my dealer (Lazy Days of Tampa, FL) and informed the service manager of the issue. I will be contacting LD for a service appointment soon. Ms. Thornberg categorically stated that Forest River would stand behind their product and make this right. Other manufacturers could take a lesson from her and FR. I'll report back after I take the TT in for the required service.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #35

Well, now that I went out and looked at mine again. The line also goes to the water heater on mine as well as the furnace. Pretty much everything but the fridge .
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #36

I have seen this issue on here one other time and spoke to my dealer about the possibility of the line getting crushed again. They are a small dealer and have not had to do the fix yet so I am holding off on doing the fix until we have more info. Being the propane line I would like to have it done by someone that has fixed the issue before...
Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #37
DDC

Quote:
Heading to Charleston this evening, will check my LP line once I get there. I wonder if they could use a more heavy duty leaf spring? What do I need to do to put more pressure on FR to help get this issue with our Surveyors fixed, instead of just bandaged?
I would think it's called a "class action suit" it's terrible that people have to end up doing this but it seems to be the only way to make them responsible, or someone will get killed because of this and the D.O.T. will force them to fix it properly, I think the same thing will end up happening with the 5th wheel frame issue too.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #38

Just got back from a 450 mile trip to Charleston. Crawled up underneath the camper in the LP line is fine after dealer repair. Looks like since they moved it away from the frame rail, the axle just pushed the line up against the floor under covering, everything seems to be good at this point. Guess I can live with that.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #39

Dropped off the camper today for the recall work. Let you know ow it turns out.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraacres View Post
Dropped off the camper today for the recall work. Let you know ow it turns out.
Camper is home and the line was replaced and moved out of the way. Hopefully we will have no more issues.