Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Exclamation Surveyor Sport Safety Recall!!

Surveyor owners...just received a recall notice from Forest River. The manufacturer has determined that a problem exists with the routing of the propane line. The line runs along the rail towards the rear of the trailer and feeds the appliances towards the rear of the TT. The line runs directly above the U bolt on the axels. A full bounce could cause the bolt to crush and puncture the propane line, resulting in a fire. I checked mine and discovered that the bolt had indeed partially compressed and dented my propane feed. Poor design to say the least. Check with FR immediately if you suspect that you might be affected. DON'T WAIT FOR THE DELIVERY OF THE RECALL LETTER!!! This is a dangerous situation. Contact Susan Thornberg at Forest River: (574) 642-3119 ext 205. Forest River will pay for the the necessary repairs when you bring your unit to your dealer.:
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Canadian Customers Beware!

I bought a Surveyor SP295 in the USA and imported into Canada following all the Transport Canada and CBSA regulations. The local dealer has refused to do the recall repair and Forest Rivers advice so far as been to take it to a dealer in the USA(6Hour drive).

Great product, very poor customer support. After two requests to speak directly to the above FR Contact Susan Thornberg, I am still waiting to speak with her personally.

This is a safety issue for my family and the family of all FR customers. Shame on FR for not wanting to get this resolved.
lami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

lami,
Its too bad that you will have to take it back to your original dealer (or possibly you can find another shop). This sounds like your dealer's issue, though.

Its common across the industry for a non-selling dealer to have the choice to help you or not. In this case, it seem the dealer is the holdup; not FR. Maybe I'm missing something?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

Hey Scott

My point is that if FR was concerned about their customers they would put a support system in place to service their units. It is really easy to place all the blame on the local independent dealers. However this is not a regular warranty repair this is a safety recall that may result in severe injury or worse. Both parties are to blame and both are taking a risk by not taking care of their customers.

lami
Old 07-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I understand. The RV industry doesn't have the most consumer friendly dealer system and I agree it can be very frustrating if you had bought out of area. Here are some thoughts for you since you don't have a dealer willing to do the work.

1) Ask if FR can find you another dealer in your area. Have them do some legwork.

2) Check this out with FR first to make sure its okay, but find an independent service shop willing to do the recall work. They might be able to submit directly to FR or you might have to pay up front and get FR to reimburse you.

Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #6

I have requested and done all of the above. Hopefully when Susan Thornberg returns my call we can get this resolved. If not I will post my whole story so you can see that I have done my leg work.

Thanks for your help Scott!

Lami
Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
DDC

[QUOTE I have requested and done all of the above. Hopefully when Susan Thornberg returns my call we can get this resolved. If not I will post my whole story so you can see that I have done my leg work.

Thanks for your help Scott!]

I would contact Transport Canada and let them know, just because there is a recall in the US does not mean that there is one in Canada they tend to be slow to react but will follow the leader eventually, that is probably why the dealer will not do the repair because FR will not pay them, it really does not matter that you imported the trailer as opposed to the dealer doing it. If it's dangerous un- safe in the in the US it will be in Canada too.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

I have spoke with TC and it is already a TC Recall (2012-148).

The dealer is claiming they won't look at my trailer because it is an insurance issue. They say it is not CSA approved and therefore cannot be in there shop. For $999.99 they will inspect the trailer and CSA certify it. When I called CSA and ask them about CSA certification for USA bought units they told me CSA certs. are done at the factory not by independent dealers. So someone is lying to me. Transcona Trailer sales is just trying to get their cut of a sale they weren't able to close.

I would have more respect for them if they just told me that! Like other Winnipeg dealers have.

Thanks for the advice though Don I appreciate it!

Lami
Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

I have a 220 sport had the recall done in Canada at my purchase dealer about a month ago, no problems the dealer was Campkins rv.
hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

If any one has a copy of the repair instructions Forest River provided to the dealers I would like to see it!

Thanks
Lami
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostream View Post
I have a 220 sport had the recall done in Canada at my purchase dealer about a month ago, no problems the dealer was Campkins rv.
Hi Hydrostream

Just a few Q's about your repair!

Did they replace the whole line from the main beam at the front to the rear of the trailer? Where did they move the line to on top of the beam? Does your SP220 have the covered under belly? How long did take?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Lami
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
DDC

I'd ay it's now up to FR to set you up with a dealer to carry out TC order to bring there faulty product up to compliance, you need to contact FR keep going up the ladder till you get satisfaction.I f you brought this trailer in new then all the CSA should have been done then hundreds of people have done this and the high volume dealers in the states do all the paper work for you to present to the Canadian customs.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

I just bought a used 2009 Surveyor 186SP, does anyone know if this unit is part of the recall? Thanks.
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
I just bought a used 2009 Surveyor 186SP, does anyone know if this unit is part of the recall? Thanks.
From the description that a spring bolt can come in contact with the propane line, I would imagine you could see if your camper has that situation. The solution is to just move the line over out of the way of any suspension part.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #15

Hi Lami
The repair was vary easy only took about 20 minutes and then a propane leak test, all They did was move the line on either side of the axles to the inside of the frame rail about 1 inch and reattached to the crossmember on the underbelly. Hope this helps explain the repair, if you can't get any resolve from Susan Thornberg I have the complaint number for Transport Canada 1-800-333-0371 just in case.
hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #16

Can anyone provide something from FR string the recall or direct me to a site that has it? I don't trust my local dealer
cyberdude47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude47 View Post
Can anyone provide something from FR string the recall or direct me to a site that has it? I don't trust my local dealer
Does this help?

Notice of LP Gas line defect for certain 2012 and 2013 Surveyor Sport TTs

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #18

Just crawled underneath mine and found that the propane line on the right side above the rear axle is completely crushed. Going to take it to the dealer this week (1.5 hours away). I've got a 30 amp breaker that keeps popping as well, at least it's still under warranty. The only thing that sucks, besides the drive to the dealer, is that I am taking the camper to Charleston, SC for a wedding in a few weeks. Hopefully they can have it fixed by then.
Wolfpacker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #19

Took the day off today and drove 1.5 hours up to the dealer. Recall took about an hour and a half. No biggie, they just moved the LP line over a couple of inches. Didn't realize the suspension flexed enough to contact the floor.
Wolfpacker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostream View Post
Hi Lami
The repair was vary easy only took about 20 minutes and then a propane leak test, all They did was move the line on either side of the axles to the inside of the frame rail about 1 inch and reattached to the crossmember on the underbelly. Hope this helps explain the repair, if you can't get any resolve from Susan Thornberg I have the complaint number for Transport Canada 1-800-333-0371 just in case.
Thanks Hydrostream!

I have mine in as we speak. My line was crushed at both u-bolts. They will have to replace that section of LP line. Hopefully get it back on Monday. Bad time of year for any repairs!

Thanks again HS

Lami

Manitoba, Canada
2012 Surveyor

2012 - 38 Days Camping