Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #11

Having purchased the SP220, and camping 14 trips in 16 month, I can tell you the SP220 is a fun 1st camper trailer. Going from a tent to this camper was a real treat - it has been more fun than I ever thought it would be. We bought this camper because it seemed best matched for our vehicle and our family husband & wife with two 80 pound dogs. Nights are very comfortable - people take bed, and dogs take couch. Every time we hitch up the trailer, the dogs will just in front and drool over when they can go out again. Dinner time is very cramped - there is no way around it - there just isn't much room to walk around dogs in that little trailer. If I had it to do over, I would have done it differently. I would have either bought a smaller trailer to match our tow vehicle (yes, even more cramped), or bought a bigger trailer and a truck. The SP-220 is very do-able if you use it like we do - mainly for hanging out during the rain and sleeping. But if you intend to live in it - then go bigger.

Good luck

Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #12

Our first camper was one of the Forest River r-pods. We spent 42 nights and almost 5,000 miles in her and had a great time, to move up we had to go from a 6 cylinder Tundra to the big 8, the SP240 had everything we wanted in a camper, normal sized bathroom with a great shower, inside and outside kitchen and a queen size bed that we didn't have to crawl over each other to get in bed. We had the horse power to go up to a 30 ft. But I guess you just have to decide what works for you. We meet people that haul around more camper than they need because the kids or grand kids use to come with them at one time.

(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences with the SP 220 & 240. I believe we are on the right track!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRude View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences with the SP 220 & 240. I believe we are on the right track!
We had our new 220 on its maiden voyage over the weekend, and I will post my detailed impressions this coming weekend on a separate thread in the Surveyor forums. It will be very positive.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post

We had our new 220 on its maiden voyage over the weekend, and I will post my detailed impressions this coming weekend on a separate thread in the Surveyor forums. It will be very positive.
Good looking camper. We took our 240 to Florida last month. Everything worked perfectly and had a great time. The guy next to us was in a 1,000,000.00 RV we had every thing he did except the granite counter tops and the parquet floors. Ha ha! Enjoy your camper.
(2011-42)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #16

I went a little larger for my first camper with a Surveyor 261T, we have 3 dogs and 1 toddler. We usually only take one dog camping and the toddler, the camper is just the right size for all our stuff and plenty of space for the baby to play if it rains. We almost always have a couple of friends or family to go camping with us or show up at some point during our trip so it's nice to have the bunk house in back for extra guests. When people aren't sleeping back there, the bunks make great storage areas. Both of our vehicles, a Silverado SS and a Nissan Armada pull the camper great so we have some flexibility depending on where we are going and how long we're planning to stay as what what will work the best to tow it and haul the amount of people\dogs more comfortably. I will say that the main dislike I have about this unit is the canvas queen bed slide out, it's much colder in the winter months and much hotter in the summer. I keep meaning to buy a PUG to hopefully fix that but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the next camper I get I'm going to get one slightly bigger with a standard queen bed and a side slideout with the dinette and couch on it. Surveyors are great campers and i've been really happy with mine other than the mentioned issues with the canvas bed pop out.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
I went a little larger for my first camper with a Surveyor 261T, we have 3 dogs and 1 toddler. We usually only take one dog camping and the toddler, the camper is just the right size for all our stuff and plenty of space for the baby to play if it rains. We almost always have a couple of friends or family to go camping with us or show up at some point during our trip so it's nice to have the bunk house in back for extra guests. When people aren't sleeping back there, the bunks make great storage areas. Both of our vehicles, a Silverado SS and a Nissan Armada pull the camper great so we have some flexibility depending on where we are going and how long we're planning to stay as what what will work the best to tow it and haul the amount of people\dogs more comfortably. I will say that the main dislike I have about this unit is the canvas queen bed slide out, it's much colder in the winter months and much hotter in the summer. I keep meaning to buy a PUG to hopefully fix that but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the next camper I get I'm going to get one slightly bigger with a standard queen bed and a side slideout with the dinette and couch on it. Surveyors are great campers and i've been really happy with mine other than the mentioned issues with the canvas bed pop out.
That is a cool camper, in our case the kids and grand kids bring there own so all we needed was the one queen bed. The bunk beds are a great feature but in our case 90% of our trips are just the two of us and the GSP. After living through three hurricane evacuation we wanted a bedroom to take with us if we had to leave again. Have fun camping.
(2011-42)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #18

Have a 2013 SP240. We love it and the dog does too. He has claimed the "dinette" bed as his. The dog is a 130 lbs St Bernard.
Powerblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #19

We pull our SP220 with a Nissan Frontier so it will be a similar experience with your Pathfinder. Our camper was delivered at 4350 lbs so I think we are easily a little over 5000 fully loaded. We have a lot of stuff. :-) You can definitely tell the trailer is back there. Although it doesn't feel dangerous or underpowered, the truck is definitely working. On a trip last fall where we were on a lot of hilly back roads I did have some trouble heating up my brakes. My rotors are now warped and I need new ones before we start towing again this season. We are also talking about upgrading to a full size truck before we go to Disney this fall but that's not in the budget right now.

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #20

PaulPro4X:

I too have a Frontier and have been looking at the SP220 but have been reluctant due to my tow vehicle. The local dealer has been telling me I should not have a problem with the Frontier. Is the issue the pulling or the stopping. Any thoughts, advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Burley
S