Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #21

We are towing our Sp220 with a 2013 Explorer (which has a little more power the the 2010 Frontier). While we have only had one trip out it was in 30 to 40 MPH winds and because of my lack of electric brake knowlege, we had no electric brakes (I had turned them all the way down thinking it was up ). All of this was on the back roads and 2 lane highways of SE Indiana and we made it in one piece.

Seriously, I didn't have any issues stoping and the power felt fine. I doubt that it will pull up hills at 65 MPH. We do travel light however. No water on board.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #22

I guess it would depend on where you will be camping. Pulling isn't a big deal. On long hills the truck will sometimes shift down to where it seems like it's really screaming but that is not the norm. I would say if you are camping in the mountains where there are short steep downhills that's where you will have trouble. Electric brakes will only do so much the truck is still taking some of the trailer weight. Most of what we have been doing is highway driving which is really no problem at all. We even went to Acadia in Maine with no issues and some of that was twisty backroads.
The main reason we didn't get the SP219 is because the bed is sideways and it seemed like a pain to be climbing over each other during the night. The 220 is just right for two people that want to be comfortable.

I added an intake spacer & a K & N air filter to my truck to pick up some mid range power. I am also going to replace my warped rotors with something wanted to help keep them from overheating.

I feel safe towing with the Frontier and I try to be a little extra careful with knowing it's limitations. I would feel safer with a full size, but don't consider it a necessity.
BTW I get about 8.5 mpg towing the camper if that influences you at all.
I hope this helped.

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote