Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Suspension Lift Surveyor Sport

I have a 2012 Surveyor (29.5 feet long) sport that is too low to the ground. Has anyone solved this issue?
acstrummer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you type 'torsion axle lift kits' in the search line in the top header, you find some previous discussions of this issue.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. However, my camper is a dual Axle with leaf springs.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

If springs are below the axle on that model, then an axle flip will give you ~3" of height.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #5

They are below the axles. Can you simply reverse them or do you need to buy a kit.
It is a SP-295.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstrummer2006 View Post
They are below the axles. Can you simply reverse them or do you need to buy a kit.
It is a SP-295.
Kit is the easiest for a DIYer in the driveway if one is available. Otherwise you can always go to a local trailer shop and they'll have perches and longer U-bolts right on the shelf. You need to crawl under the camper and take a look on the axle tube for the ID label. Get the information and make some calls.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

Okay after some research I have found these "over under" spring conversion kits online.
My next question.....How would you even begin to lift a 30 foot camper ten inches off of the ground? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Some pics would be nice.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

I have done the conversion more times than I care to count honestly! You're going to need a few sets of jack stands - I'd use three sets for that length - and a pair of high-lift jacks. A couple of bottle jacks and some blocks work too. Key is to jack up curbside and roadside evenly, and bring up front and rear incrementally (i.e., don't try to jack all the height needed at once. Normally, I've taken the tongue jack as high as it will lift and then set the front jack stands. Then head to the back and bring it up and set the jack stands. Take the jacks up front, raise, adjust jack stands, and then do the same to the rear. Repeat as needed - and make sure you have enough height for the new height with the axles underslung! Put in additional jack stands when raised and level.

I don't have any pictures as it's just been something I've been doing for many years for friends from the racetrack and fellow campers. I did scan YouTube quick and here's the gist:

Tags
sport, surveyor, suspension