Old 10-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
Grape Escape

Look at the North Americam Auto industry. They almost blew it years ago with Japanese competition before quality became #1. Now everyone I know seems to buy everything but the big 3.
Never discount the fact that someone offshore is not looking at the RV industry. If they start shipping these things from overseas the North American builders can kiss their jobs good bye

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
90 days on a vehicle that cost over 110k dollars. That's pretty ridiculous unless you were 4 wheeling or would that be 6 wheeling and jumping over school buses with it. I can't understand their position about this. Either FR or Ford,the chassis maker, should stand behind their product. Does anyone know if any manufacturers realign the front end once the coach is built or is it possibly a problem from the start from FORD? $900 for tires in the first year really stinks due to the negligence of the manufacturer or the chassis supplier?
cfoistman, you are entirely correct and I feel the same way. I can also appreciate Ford's position here that they simply provide the chassis and it is the manufacturer's responsibility to have the rig re-aligned once the weight of the coach is built on it. Each rig is different in weight as you know so it wouldn't make sense for Ford to even try to align just the chassis. Rest assured I am taking steps to follow up on this further and I am not going to just leave it at what FR has said. Unfortunately I am finding out that you can't take a rig of our size to just any mechanic for an alignment. I have however been well taken care of by FR for the things that did go wrong on my rig during the warranty period.

I also agree that there isn't much quality control in the RV industry, it's the nature of the beast. We have owned and my father has owned products from Winnebago and Fleetwood in the past and they have all been built the same way. I have never known anyone who bought a new RV who didn't have a host of issues with it. We even ran an RV rental company for several years and I have seen a lot. And as you point out if anyone spends time on other forum groups you will see a heck of a lot more problems (and I mean real problems) with Fleetwood, Coachman, Georgie Boy and a lot of the others out there. Before we bought our Georgetown we looked for all the forum posts we could on FR and found that the complaints were few and the issues in essence were as I said before "petty"

Believe me there are some right here on this group that are having issues with delamination, water leaks, and stress cracking that would absolutely LOVE to only have a set of incorrectly installed speakers to worry about.

Should we expect more for so much money spent? Sure we should, but am I gonna get all wrapped around the axle because of poorly installed speakers? NO!

I would suggest that if someone isn't getting the answers they expect from their dealer or from Forest River directly that you contact an advocate like Action Line at the Good Sam club or through several of the other publications out there like Trailer Life or Motorhome magazines and have them act in your behalf.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #13

My earlier post was meant to try and put a little smile on the face of ww2. He's having enough problems as it is. If I failed to do that, I appologize.

I'll agree that it is frustrating to pay good money for bad workmanship. I have always been "Buy USA" and the quality in todays RV's doesn't speak well for the American worker. Maybe it's not the fault of the guy on the line but that of management pushing the manufacturing process to save a buck. Whichever it is, we all deserve better.

More than likley if the industry took steps to improve quality they would pass the cost on to us and that $20,000 tt would then cost $30,000 or more.

However, except for those who are new to RV'ing, we knew what to expect and we bought anyway for whatever reasons we may have.

I bought because I enjoy the time out with my family and friends. So to me if I have a cosmetic problem with my tt I can either fix it myself, have my dealer fix it, or just live with it. These kind of problems will not prevent me from enjoying a good camping trip with family and friends.

If the problem is one that prevents proper operation or creates safety concerns, then I either must fix it or have my dealer take care of it. Those kind of problems are the ones that may ruin a camping trip. I am fortunate enough to have a dealer that does their best to keep their customers satisfied.

Bottom line is, remember why we bought our rv's and if you can, don't let the poor quality stop you from enjoying your time camping.

For those with problems that prevent you from using your rv, you have my sympathy and I hope your problems get resolved quickly and with minimum expense on your part.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #14

sorry, messed up.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #15

did it again!

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #16

I can't believe I did it again. I kept getting an error message when I tried to post. I didn't think it was posting so I kept trying. Sorry about the mess up.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
90 days on a vehicle that cost over 110k dollars. That's pretty ridiculous unless you were 4 wheeling or would that be 6 wheeling and jumping over school buses with it. I can't understand their position about this. Either FR or Ford,the chassis maker, should stand behind their product. Does anyone know if any manufacturers realign the front end once the coach is built or is it possibly a problem from the start from FORD? $900 for tires in the first year really stinks due to the negligence of the manufacturer or the chassis supplier?
cfsoistman, You are correct and I don't agree with FRs assessment or policy in my case. Most RVrs will not see any wear on their tires even in several years of use so their 90 day policy seems arbitrary and a way to keep them out of paying out, I will be following other avenues to pursue this issue. That said all my other issues with my rig were taken care of quickly and without hassle during our warranty period.

I can also see Ford's stance on this as they only provide the chassis. As all the rigs built on a given chassis (like ours) have different weights after completion there is just no way that Ford could set an alignment on just the Chassis. It is therefore FRs responsibility to do this for each motorhome after it is built.

If anyone isn't happy with the answer you get from your dealer or FR then I would urge you to contact someone like Good Sams Action Line for someone to intervene in your behalf. Trailer life and Motorhome magazines have similar services which have been very successful in dealing with issues that RVrs have.

Consider though that there are members here that have new rigs with delamination issues, water problems, stress cracking, etc. and I am sure they would love to only have a set of incorrectly installed speakers as an issue to contend with. Given the fact that there are millions of Americans right now who don't have jobs, can't feed their families and don't even have a home to live in, we are fortunate to be able to afford an RV and complaining about a set of off-level speakers as I said before is just petty. Look at the bigger picture and consider how much worse you could have it. If I was close enough to WW2 I would gladly come over an fix his speakers for him (or fix it so no one can fix it as my signature says) if he wanted to pay my bill for my tires. Things could always be worse....

Well said Grhoads....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #18

I concur with ShineySideUp and WW2.

I have to agree that these "cosmetic" things are concerning. If FR does not put the proper quality control into the things you can see. You have to wonder about the things you can not see. The guts of the trailer under the "cosmetic" crap - quality of framing, welding, ...

But I guess with some people taking pride in your work is well behind earning the almighty buck. You can do both.. ;-) Same people who call themselves carpenters and framing but use chainsaws to build tract housing developments.. We should get what you pay for..

Best of luck WW2...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Forest River is right. Have you seen your trailer with siding off? Could be a structural thing that prevents the speakers from being mounted the way you would like them. May be some wall studs, or structural supports in the way, and that's why Forest River told your dealer not to touch them. Just because you don't like the answer, don't go bashing the company, whether it Forrest River or anybody else. If you are so concerned about the amount of cash you paid for the product, maybe you should have taken a little more time to inspect it. From what I can tell, Forrest River is one of the better companies to deal with. Just think, you could have a trailer with a manufacturer that just went belly up, then who would you ask?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #20

Is anyone else having problems with this thread? I can see people have replied but when I click on the title the new posts do not show... The last post I can see is my own!

what the heck?

shineysideup

Tags
surveyor