Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

SV-304 towing questions

I am looking at a Surveyor Select SV-304 and looking for advice. First off, my wife and 2 son's love the layout, but I'm concerned if I will be able to tow it. I currently have a 2005 Jayco 1207 PUP and this will be my first experience with a TT.

TV - 2012 Ford F-150 Lariat, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 145" wheelbase (does NOT have the max towing package). Ford says it will tow 9600 Lbs.

SV-304 is 34.5' long and dry weight is 6500 lbs.

Will I be able to tow the SV-304 comfortably? Looking for advice and opinions.

Thanks

Gary
Katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That running gear is pretty capable, but that is a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton truck.

The GVWR of that trailer is over 11,000 lbs. You can probably keep your weight way under that amount, as that allows for a 4000 lb. cargo carrying capacity. You are probably looking at about 7000 lb. empty weight after options, propane, and a battery are added, so you could load up a ton of stuff (which is a lot of camping gear), and still be around 9000 lbs.

With a listed empty hitch weight of 879 lbs., you are going to probably be well over 1000 lbs. there. Your hitch might not be rated for that kinda weight.....check for a sticker on the hitch that should show a weight carrying capacity as well as a weight distributing capacity.

Even though you have a fairly long wheelbased truck that is 1 long trailer for 145". I try to stay away from the length police title, but even a longer than a 145" wheelbased vehicle would probably be better.

What is gonna really get ya is the GVWR of your F150, and probably the GCWR, also. Since that model is a bunkhouse, I presume you have kids. When adding up all of your passenger weights, camping gear in the bed, then adding over a 1000 lbs. to the hitch, I can't imagine that you will be able to stay under the GVWR of your truck.

IMHO, I don't think you will be comfortable towing that trailer with your current truck.....I wouldn't.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

mtnguy,

Thank you for the advice. Do you have any opinions on models of TT's to consider, my wife thinks we need the 4 bunks in the back, since our son's are 4 and 6 and she thinks they will want to bring friends in a couple of years. Also, I was considering the SV-291 or SV-294, they weigh alot less. Any opinions on these 2 TT's.

Gary
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, either of those 2 models would be a better fit with your truck, as they both have a GVWR of about the same weight as the empty SV304. But you are still up there on the length, especially the SV 294.

My suggestion before settling on a trailer, is to get your calculator out, and then stop by some scales with your truck. The local landfill, rock quarry, grain storage facility, or truck depo might just weigh you for free. If you have CAT scale nearby, that would be great.

Weigh your truck with you in it, and just the typical every day stuff you carry. You might be surprised. Even though my title lists my truck around 5300 lbs, I am right around 6000 lbs. for my everyday driving. Me (~200 lbs.), a bed line, TracRac rails and tonneau cover, a small toolbox in the bed, and some personal items, I am around 5900 lbs. with a 1/2 tank of gas......a full tank is gonna put me around 6000 lbs.

I betcha your results will be similar. Now add the weights of your wife, kids and pets (if any). Now subtract the truck weight with you in it, and the sum of your passengers from your GVWR (found on the driver's door), and that is what you have left for a tongue weight. The listed tongue weights will grow as you load the camper....or should to keep at least 10% of the total camper weight on the tongue.....12 to 15% is better.

You also have to figure that the kids are gonna grow, and bring along friends, plus you will probably carry some camping gear in the bed that will add to the weight.

I thought I was good to go with my F150 pulling a smaller trailer, since my truck is rated to tow 9300 lbs. Even with the camper loaded at 5500 lbs., I am within 100 lbs. of my GVWR with a 700 lb. tongue weight, the missus and the pup, as well as gear in the bed. That is the short comings of the 1/2 ton pickups.....the GVWR. The manufacturers don't bother to mention with a 9600 lb. tow rating, that you can't have take along any passengers or gear with you, or you will probably exceed your GVWR and GCWR.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

Thanks mtnguy, I really appreciate the feedback. Guess I need to keep looking. Good thing is, I am not planning on buying until early spring, so I plenty of time to look around and do my research before I pull the trigger.

Gary
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, it is great that you are doing the research, and asking the right questions. Many people get on here with the question "I just bought this camper, will my vehicle pull it....the dealer said it would ??".