Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Sv 305 vs. SV 305

Hi all. I purchased a 2011 SV-305 on October 6th 2010. Today, I looked at the forest river website to show a co worker what I had purchased, and the 2011 SV-305 has changed substantially. It now has a flush rear slide, wrap around sofa, and something is different with the outside kitchen. Now, I know they change things some throughout a model year, but that seems a bit much in 2 months. They also included a ladder for the rear bunks which mine did not come with. To me it seems that they should have a different model number for it, but since it is the same, should I be concerned that my 2011 sv-305 is not really a 2011 sv 305 that I paid top dollar for? I am feeling sorta wronged right now....any thoughts or comments?

Pilotdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I don't know why RV manufacturers change something mid-year....just doesn't make sense. Why not change it when the model year changes ??

Your title should show exactly what year you have. Also, if you have a "B" in as the 10th digit of your VIN, that should indicate a 2011.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
I had heard they do that, but I was thinking it was minor things like maybe a different brand of TV, or color interior, or something like that...not major overhauls...that's what I get for thinking!

Thanks for the info on the VIN...I'll check, but I'm sure it's a 2011....looks like the rest of them except on the FR website.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #4

Your spot on this. We want to buy one. So we were dicussing it with our dealer. We have a 2010 294 we now have a larger tow vehicle. The SV305 is a great design. It can be very frustrating though when they change like that. I am still not sure how I feel about the huge couch. You cannot sit across from someone and have a meal unless they want to sit on an ottoman. Playing cards would certainly be challenging. It is just my .02 cents but I really think you are better off with your layout.

Congrats on your new purchase. We really like ours we would just like super slides and 2 of them. We are even trying to sell ours to buy the 305. Just make sure you get all your warranty work done in your year!!!
2008 Cadillac Escalade
2010 Surveyor SV-294
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Hensley TruControl Gold Brake Controller
scweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Yea, I wondered about the new couch layout...looks real nice, but for a family trying to eat inside on a rainy day may not be optimum....I like the design we have (dinette seating), it was just surprising to see all the changes on the same model, same year. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh, I do still want the ladder for the rear bunks!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Thinking about buying one myself.Love the outdoor kitchen.Been looking online and it seems the ones with the regular dinnet dont have the same couch combo in the rear bunkroom.
rsbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Looks like the rear slide out now has a couch area for the kids vs. all bunks. Mine is the design with the bunks and no couch in the rear slide. I like the design of mine better, but opinions will vary....Great for taking kids, kids friends, and the dog....Definitely love the outside kitchen...that was the main selling point for me..Like I mentioned only minor gripe is no ladder on my early year model for the bunks....good luck with your potential purchase.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
We actually just bought the new model with the lounge area. It made us change our mind from an Open Range we thought we wanted. The lounge/couch area sold us with the panoramic windows. It is so bright and spacious. We have yet to take our first trip as we just picked it up a couple weeks ago and are still filling it with all the necessities and just bought a diesel last night to pull it as the tongue weight was tight with out Tundra.

Ours has the couch in the bunkroom which I would have preferred the table/bench area as past models have but we are going to install a small folding table for the girls to solve that problem. Even though this model has a ladder to the main bunk it needs some help. Neither my 3 or 4 year old can climb it themselves so that will need some modifications as well and the other bunk forget it, they will need a lift For now though that will be bin storage of their toys/clothes and my youngest will sleep on the couch.

We never thought about the the table not being the greatest for family suppers...we were in shock over the large feel to the family/living area and were blinded I think However it does come with the ottoman which is quite comfy and two stools as well. Our girls are only 3 and 4 so this would not have been a deal killer for us. We really wanted an outdoor door to the bathroom but again gave it up for that lounge area. Can you tell we love our lounge?

I don't mean to sound like I am rubbing it in that we have the lounge which your model changed to, rather to tell others it is wonderful. I wouldn't have thought they would make such a drastic change and I am sorry that happened to you. I hope that your design still works for you. I know we searched for over a year before deciding and then in the end we jumped with a heart decision instead of a head decision so I hope in reality it works as well for our family as we planned.

We haven't taken a trip yet but if you'd like to see some pictures or see the details of changes ets we make along the way as well as our upcoming trip with a young family feel free to follow along at our blog.

I just joined this site today and have to set up my profile etc so here is the link for now if you want.

Operation Explorations: Let Operation Explorations Begin!

Happy travels to you all and again, when you bought your original trailer you must have loved it so don't let this new model taint all the fun you will have!
operationexplorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Welcome OP-EX. Congrats on your purchase. I understand about the heart vs. head decision...I think we used both in our purchase...I know (head) that I love (heart) our camper. We didn't need all the camper we bought. We went from a tent to the SV-305...quite a leap...DW says its not camping anymore, but she's NOT complaining...It's a vacation home on wheels!!!! Take Care.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
While at the RV Show in January, I had the opportunity to sit and talk with a FR Rep for almost 2 hours. He explained that each year, in mid-summer, the changes to each trailer took place. If the trailer you ordered/bought was on-line before then, you got the "old" model, regardless of the "year". If you ordered/bought a unit that was on-line after the changes, you got the latest release, regardless of "year".

Hope this helps a little.

John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote

305, surveyor