Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega1 View Post
...carried at the ends of the frame rails, either by dragging on the jack pads or by intentionally adding wheels. The frames will simply not support that type of load. And adding wheels will actually make the situation worse by decreasing the clearance even more...
The wheels are added to prevent damage to the jacks and if installed properly will only reduce clearance by an inch or so. In the OP's situation in trying to get it parked in his driveway, it would be the easiest solution. I definitely agree raising the trailer is a good solution, but it is very expensive and requires taking it to a very good welding-frame shop, possible frame warranty problems and definitely hitch problems. A lot of trouble just to be able to get parked at home. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #12

"A lot of trouble just to be able to get parked at home."
---
Very true, but I have also seen many gas stations with very steep entrances that would probably also cause problems for such campers. The deep gouges in the pavement indicates something has been bottoming out!
I just wish they would put better frames under all of the new campers. Some are still very strong, others made out of glorified tin.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

When I installed the wheels, I stretched a string from under the rear wheels to the bottom of the frame at the rear and placed the wheels so the bottom was approx. 1/2" below the string. So any dragging was on the wheels momentarily. BTW they were caster type wheels.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega1 View Post
"A lot of trouble just to be able to get parked at home."
---
Very true, but I have also seen many gas stations with very steep entrances that would probably also cause problems for such campers. The deep gouges in the pavement indicates something has been bottoming out!
I just wish they would put better frames under all of the new campers. Some are still very strong, others made out of glorified tin.
Agree totally, but we can all avoid those gas stations, but kinda hard to not park at home.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #15

dunnnc, on the old campers, I would have never been afraid to add drag wheels, as the frames were almost universally very heavy-duty, at least twice as strong as what we now see.
Have you looked at the frame on your camper? It isn't even a real I-beam, but three pieces of sheet metal welded together to make a fake I-beam. Much cheaper than the real thing, but extremely weak.
I have the same type on my camper, and it makes me cringe every time I look at it.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

This is our 2nd Flagstaff Super Lite and I agree the frames are flimsy, but for just backing into a driveway, I would not hesitate to put the wheels on. It is a very momentary load which is in all seriousness probably not a much as stablilizing it in a campground for days/weeks/months.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #17

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Don't they make a riser kit for Surveyors?

Yes - there is a F/R riser kit and it should not void the warranty if its installed by the dealer. The kit lifts the camper about 3" by putting blocks above the torsion axles and extending the mounting brackets.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #18

"It is a very momentary load which is in all seriousness probably not a much as stablilizing it in a campground for days/weeks/months."
-------
Actually probably not an accurate assumption. Most instances of dragging the rear end of a camper involves only one side at a time, and the forces could/would be many times greater than what the stabilizer jacks could apply. Just because the force is momentary does not mean that it would not exceed the yield strength of the frame.
I would really hate to see someone bend the frame on their camper because they got bad advice. Always better to err on the side of caution.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Yes - there is a F/R riser kit and it should not void the warranty if its installed by the dealer. The kit lifts the camper about 3" by putting blocks above the torsion axles and extending the mounting brackets.
I would guess the dealer could do it and avoid warranty problems, but around Concord, NC the dealer gets over $95/hr and I would guesstimate at least 6-8 hrs labor. Add to that, the cost of the kit, re-setting the hitch and you're talking some serious change just to be able to get in your driveway.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #20

Just got off the phone with the dealer. They recommend the extra wheel. I expressed the concern over frame material and he said, it is true that some tt's use "c" channel material for their frame, that's not the case with Surveyor. If it was just a problem getting into my driveway, I'm sure I could rig something up, but I live on an common drive that for five house and the enterance is narrow and steep. He also said that it would keep the warranty in tact. Thanks for all the advice.

Rick