Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #1

SV264 How do I get the Gas WH to fire?

We are 200 miles from home on our first trip, no hot water. I turn on the switch under the sink and the red light does NOT turn on at all. I have also turned on the electric hot water heater on the outside and nothing.

I have watched the pilot area outside in the dark waiting for the spark that is supposed to light the pilot-I did not see any spark or hear a spark. The stove and furnace fire right up-so Gas is not an issue. I have pushed the two ECO buttons on the exterior to RESET and that hasnt done anything either.

Out of ideas-Stranded in Kerville, TX (In the cold so to speak). I'll call the dealer in the AM but I am sure I will get the story to come in, three hours away.

Stranded in Kerville
gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Team

There should be a circuit breaker labeled water heater or just WH
in the power panel.
Make sure that is on. It would keep the electric element from working.
The gas side is totally independent of the electric so I can't help
you on the gas.
The red light should come on when you turn on the rocker switch.
Did you test it at the dealer when you bought it??
Has it worked before?
Is this your first time out?
It could be miss wired if it's brand new.
Also should be a fuse in the panel for the gas side of the WH but
it might be tied in with other stuff.
Normally 12v fuses are obvious when they are burned out.
Have you looked at all your fuses?

That's all I can offer!
Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #3

As to the gas side, what you describe sounds like a bad thermo switch. If the thermo switch has failed it will tell the circuit board that the water is already hot, therefore when you turn on the switch inside, the light will not light up as you mentioned. You can check the operation of the switches by just by-passing them. There may actually be two of them the main one is set at 140 degrees and the backup is set for 180 degrees. I believe they are normally closed switches therefore pulling the wires off the back of them and jumpering them together should tell you if the switch it bad. Testing them usually means pulling the switch and putting it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer. You attach a volt/ohm meter to the switch set to check continuity and start heating the water, once the water reaches 140 degrees the switch open and halt the flow of electricity through it. If you bypass the switch do so only to test the switch DO NOT leave it this way as it is not safe. These switches will be found under the access cover on the ouside of the rig, they are contact switches which is to say the just sit in contact with the outside of the metal tank. There will be two wires to each one and they may be labled ECO next to them. I will try and get a picture of mine to post showing them if you need it.

Hope this helps.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #4

Just a question, but is the hot water heater bypass engaged to divert water away from your tank?

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Yes the bypass diverts water away from the tank, it's used for winterizing by those that use antifreeze in their lines (a practice I don't recommend but there is plenty about that elsewhere on this forum). Normally the rig should come from the factory with the bypass closed so that water is entering the tank normally. The bypass is usually located very close to the water heater and will usually have a red handle on it. Make sure that the handle is perpendicular to the tubes and that will be closed. If it is open you will get cold water from both the hot and cold side but won't have anything to do with your tank not firing off on gas. Of course if it is bypassed and your water IS already hot then your tank will not fire just as you describe. Worth looking into....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor