Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

Anyone have issues with the Surveyor scraping??

We are seriously considering purchasing the Surveyor sv264. However, we have no experience towing a TT (only a boat) and are a little concerned about the low profile of the Surveyor. It's exterior height is only 8"8" vs. 10'5" and 10' 3" for the other two we are considering (a Dutchmen Kodiak and Keystone Bullet respectively). On this forum, the lower profile is exactly what some of you love about your TT. We are just thinking it will scrape more than the others. Do you have any issues with scraping?
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #2

I have an SV-291, and yes it does scrape sometimes even when you are paying attention. I have adjusted my hitch to keep the rear end of the trailer *slightly* higher then the hitch and that helps a little bit, but they are low trailers and scrape easily.
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #3

What exactly scrapes? Have you done any damage to any of the tanks, etc?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
We are seriously considering purchasing the Surveyor sv264. However, we have no experience towing a TT (only a boat) and are a little concerned about the low profile of the Surveyor. It's exterior height is only 8"8" vs. 10'5" and 10' 3" for the other two we are considering (a Dutchmen Kodiak and Keystone Bullet respectively). On this forum, the lower profile is exactly what some of you love about your TT. We are just thinking it will scrape more than the others. Do you have any issues with scraping?
We just got the SV264 about 3 months ago. Haven't had a scraping problem. Only recall one time when pulling straight into a gas station. It is better to come in at a little bit of an angle with any TT IMO. It pulls easily with our Yukon and the towing package.

We really like the lower profile and my wife loves the kitchen in the rear. It has more counter space than other TT's when we shopped around. The other feature is the slide out sofa is directly across from the dinette, so you can easily carry on a conversation with several people w/o having to turn around. The newer models have a larger bath with the corner shower. Also the closet slides out with the sofa. All in all, we're real satisfied.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #5

Our SV233T scraps backing into our drive if I am not too careful. I thought about installing the kit with rollers to help with the scraping. But after reading some posts about it putting more stress on the frame I decided not to. FR installed a "V" shaped piece of steel on each side of the frame in the rear and that is what scrapes. I am not too worried about it. I try to be as careful as possible.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #6

scraping (for me ) : V shaped bars hitting the ground.

One does hear it and i happened at the storage place (All gravel so no harm) and coming out of a gas station. I did not damage the valves in either case. My tanks are enclosed so they are not going to get damaged with scraping.

You could get the lift up kit for your trailer from FR if you are really worried. When I notice that I might scrape the trailer, I slow waaaay down ....(My old Trail Cruiser was also very close to the ground).
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It seems that those who have scraping problems generally have the longer trailers. (More overhang beyond the axles) Our 235 has scraped only once at a gas station with a very steep approach angle (but it has less overhang than other models). No harm came from it. It all comes down to your individual circumstances; the most important probably being your driveway angle. We've backed into many campsites all of the country and never had an issue with dragging. Because of the lower height (and the torsion axles) Surveyors tow fantastically well and I believe we also get better gas mileage. We averaged 11 mpg on our last 2,300 mile trip; towing at 60 mph. The lower wind resistance allows us to tow in overdrive a lot of the time; unless it is hilly or a headwind.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
It seems that those who have scraping problems generally have the longer trailers. (More overhang beyond the axles) Our 235 has scraped only once at a gas station with a very steep approach angle (but it has less overhang than other models). No harm came from it. It all comes down to your individual circumstances; the most important probably being your driveway angle. We've backed into many campsites all of the country and never had an issue with dragging. Because of the lower height (and the torsion axles) Surveyors tow fantastically well and I believe we also get better gas mileage. We averaged 11 mpg on our last 2,300 mile trip; towing at 60 mph. The lower wind resistance allows us to tow in overdrive a lot of the time; unless it is hilly or a headwind.
I second Acadianbob. The lower trailer height with torsion suspension far outweighs any scraping issues. In my experience (235rks) the only thing I've ever scraped are the "V" bars at the back of the trailer and only a hand full of times in 12,000 km of towing...

happy camping!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have the sister ship to the SV 264 which is the SV 263. I have only drug the skid bars 1 time coming out of a big dip at a service station.....no damage done, except for maybe the pavement.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tail dragging!

Had the problem with my tail (BACK OF TT) dragging. The TT had the "skid" bars but would still drag. Cut off the bottom 2" of the "V" shape skid bars, welded heavy duty caster wheels to the skid bars. Let it drag now, for it will just roll right on. My tail would drag so bad that I tore off the black and gray dump valves in a gas station in Conn. About good as any place for it to happen!!!!! Serious tho, I had just dumped both tanks, they were empty (WHEEE). I had anticipated it happening for I had just purchased the replacement kit just before the trip.

Castor wheels, NO PROBLEM!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #11

Tail dragging

We had problems getting our 294 in and out of the driveway because of 33' length and the wheels being set close to the middle of the trailer. I had the 3" lift kit added after a couple of outings and it still tows great.
I did add a set of drag wheels on the drag brackets before we had the lift kit installed. The drag wheels are still on but haven't seen any use since the lift.

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #12

lift kit

If you don't mind me asking how much does a lift kit cost? Is it basically 3" rubber lifts where the trailer is attached to the frame?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #13

Lift kit

If I recall correctly - It was about $250-$300 including the 2 hours of labor.
It is basically a pair of rectangle shaped blocks of steel and some harden bolts with self locking nuts.
We'Ve happy with the results. Of course, after the lift kit I had to adjust the equalizer hitch to match the new trailer height which the dealer did as part of the work. After the first trip at the new height I moved the wd saddles up 1 bolt hole and it has been a great purchase.

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #14

Last year I picked up my SV264. It's my 1st TT and I love it. Tows like a dream with my Yukon 5.3L & tow package. Don't worry about those "V" bars scraping. It happened to me twice. Never any damage to TT. Main thing is to use a weight dist. hitch and get the TT level.
anthgarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor