Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Taking Delivery of a Surveyor 266RLDS

Hi Gang,
We just purchased our first TT, a Surveyor 266RLDS, and will be picking up next weekend. Is there anything I should watch for during the walk thru and delivery process? We've toured it several times over the last three weeks but with my inexperience, does anyone have any advice as to what to look for and which questions to ask at delivery? Thanks in advance.
Slaymaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Great news on your purchase, Surveyors are excellent campers.

The biggest problem we have had is the furniture quality, one arm on the couch has already been replaced, the dealer has ordered another, and both had/have dents in the top of them. The recliners in ours won’t close easily, the dealer is getting us new ones.

Make sure you test all water spigots including the outside shower, hot and cold, a line could be kinked.

Make sure you test and understand the entertainment center especially if you have a Jensen TV.

Test all equipment, manual and power, turn on the gas, lite the stove, water heater and furnace. Run the A/C, test all lights etc.

You will find something after you get home, if major notify and send the dealer pics. If minor you might want to fix it yourself. Do your best to work with the dealer sending whatever they need, your goal is to keep it out of the dealer camper jail and in your driveway or on the campground.

Enjoy!
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

Thinking about purchasing the same unit. If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase it and what was the price. Thanks and enjoy. I believe there's also a PDI check list located somewhere in the library for when you pick up the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
tjclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

Congrats on your Surveyor 266RLDS. tjclarke is correct, there is a PDI (Pre Delivery Checklist) under the Library tab above, very top in the Most Popular Files section. Print one off to take with you. Don't let the service tech rush thru the PDI, have them explain everything. If there are any problems don't sign until you're completely satisfied. Once you sign you're at the dealers mercy on getting things fixed.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #5

hidee ho

Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! Congrats on the new trailer, holy moly, what a nice rig! Great floor plan and it has a fireplace. We still love our 2013 Surveyor 220 and I would love to have a fireplace but my DW is pretty adamant about how silly an idea that is. Sigh. Anyway, consider taping or capturing the PDI at the dealer on your cell phone or camera, it really helps later with questions or things you forgot.
Happy Camping!!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Congrats on the new 266 rlds ! We purchased a 265rlds a few months ago , and still have a lot to learn ! I am hoping to get to use it once more before having to winterize the unit .
Atec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Smile

Thanks to all for the replies. I was able to find the pre-delivery checklist and have printed it so it is ready to go. We take deliver on Sept. 22 and will take it for a "shake-down" cruise on the 23rd. We have started putting things together to load into the trailer so we should be ready to head out and then find what we missed (I'm sure it will be several things). :-)
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #8

UPDATE - After two weekends of camping

We've been camping close to home the last two weekends (2 nights and 3 days each). We are very pleased with how the trailer has performed and the "fit & finish" seems to be very good. I do have a couple of questions and wonder if anyone has had similar problems and have solutions. First, the first weekend, I felt like the grey water tank filled very quickly. The monitor indicated it was 2/3 full after less than a day so I hooked up and drove to the sewer dump (this was a real hassle). The second weekend the tank indicated "FULL" but still was draining. In fact, as we were packing to leave, I ran the sink for around 10 minutes and water never did back up into the shower. I assume the sensors in the tank are not positioned correctly so I'm not sure how to tell when the tank is actually getting close to full. Is there anything which can be done to "fix" this? Second, when we turned on the furnace, the a/c unit came on (I assume it is also a heat pump) and the actual furnace only ran occasionally. Is this normal? Third (and last), there are two connectors for the 75 ohm cable TV connection directly above the TV in the living area. I'm not sure why there are two and the one on the right has a small switch which, when activated, has a small green light. When the light is on, the TV does not appear to get a signal. Any help on explaining the two connectors and switch are appreciated. Overall, we are extremely pleased with the trailer. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

We just bought a surveyor and had similar issues with our tanks. After calling the dealer we had ended up having a few sensor issues. One thing we did learn is that you fill the tank much quicker than you would expect.

Make sure the thermostat is on Auto.

One of the tv connections should be for cable, the other for satellite. The switch turns the amplifier on and off, when it's off it's really tough to get reception with it on, you get much better signal because of the amplification. Although oddly in my surveyor the light on indicated the amp was on, yours sounds like it might be reversed.
manderson2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:32 AM   #10

Turn off the booster when scanning for and using cable channels.

Humteddy2

2016 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax
2017 Surveyor 285IKDS
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #11

Thanks

Thanks for the help - I really appreciate it.

Tags
surveyor