Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

The Long Wait

Well, my camping season came to a CRASHING halt back in July. Heading up to the Poconos for a nice long relaxing weekend when a truck in the shoulder decided to roll out into the traveling lane and take out a big chunk of my TT's right side. The only satisfaction I got was seeing him get towed away. (Too much damage to his vehicle). He got a ticket so his insurance company paid up, quickly I might add.

Now the long wait part.

The TT has been at Camping World since July and they're still waiting on Forest River to deliver the parts. Service writer says he called the manufacturer a few times but no luck.

Thanks for letting me vent. At l;east I got to go out once this season, though the two long trips were cancelled.

Not the end of the world.

This means we'll have a great year in 2014.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

I like your attitude; thumbsup!
CypressNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Hope they fix it right the first time! Best of luck!!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Sad that your time is used for this instead of the enjoyment you should be experiencing. Time is all we have, after all...

Best of luck with it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #5

Thanks all for the support.

I'm sure it'll be fixed right the first time. This Camping World has a great reputation. It's Forest River I'm having a hard time with. Very slow on getting the parts.

Ah well, good thing patience is a virtue.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #6

I would be on the phone myself with Forrest River about the parts, even if your dealer is a good one as the customer it might help the process some. Not trying to bash Camping World but it's them telling you that and I for one do not always trust what the dealers tell us. Just my opinion
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I would be on the phone myself with Forrest River about the parts, even if your dealer is a good one as the customer it might help the process some. Not trying to bash Camping World but it's them telling you that and I for one do not always trust what the dealers tell us. Just my opinion
X2

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Sounds like good advise. I'll do some phone number research when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

If the claim has not been settled yet, here are some suggestions:
1) You may be able to force the adjuster to provide you with a rental unit. The purpose of the insurance is to restore you to the position you were in before the loss. If camping is a part of your lifestyle, they are obligated to assist you in resuming that life you had before the accident. Now, they may not rent you one for 2 months straight, but they may rent you one for a week or for a few days. Better than nothing, huh?

2) If you live in a state that allows diminished value claims, get an estimate from the dealer of the value of your unit before and after the accident. If your state allows, you would spring the additional cost on the adjuster prior to taking delivery on the repaired unit. You would not mention this until that point.

3) If you had non refundable reservations for a campsite you won't be using, you need to add that to the claim and provide the adjuster with proof of your reservation fee and that it was non refundable.

I'm going through something similar on our tow vehicle right now. Bought the vehicle specifically for towing capabilities and after the accident were without that capability. Other insurance must restore us to pre-loss condition as close as possible. They are providing a rental tow vehicle with all necessary hookups, etc. They said they wouldn't at first, but I wrote them a lengthy email explaining why they should. Now they are providing one. Took a little research on my end finding a rental vehicle that was equipped.

As far as the diminished value, I am an insurance agent. I didn't even know about this, nor anyone in my office. I was talking to the head of claims for one of our companies and he told me about it. I don't know all of the details on how a diminished value claim is handled at this point, but my guy supplying the info is walking me through it and I'll let you know how it turns out and how to do it.

Bottom line, insurance is supposed to compensate you for what you've lost, even in the short term as long as it's possible and reasonable.

Also, I'm not here to solicit and I have not been involved in personal insurance in years, but I can offer basic advice if you have questions. Depending on which state you live in I may or may not be able to give you much advice!
papesd is offline   Reply With Quote