Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Tire mount for Lippert cargo carrier.

Does anyone know of a spare tire mounting kit that would attach to the cargo rack on the rear of my 2019 247 BHDS Surveyor?
I would like to move my spare from underneath the trailer to the rear of it. I think it would be alot easier to use if needed.Click image for larger version

Name:	1541293397404.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	190636
NewRvrDDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Unless you plan on not using the rear rack, it's a mistake to move the rear tire there.

My TT has the spare mounted to the rear rack BUT the rack is supposedly rated to be used with the spare mounted. The spare eats up about 35-40% of the rack weight rating. HOWEVER, no way can I get out my driveway with that spare not dragging significantly if the rack is down. Unfortunately, even if I remove the spare, the welded on tire holder bracket would still drag!
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

The original spare tire carrier on my Roo blocked the small hatch on the rear of the trailer but the carrier would swing down when a pin was pulled. Would possibly swing under the rack you have back there.

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...15-954730.html
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Unless you plan on not using the rear rack, it's a mistake to move the rear tire there.

My TT has the spare mounted to the rear rack BUT the rack is supposedly rated to be used with the spare mounted. The spare eats up about 35-40% of the rack weight rating. HOWEVER, no way can I get out my driveway with that spare not dragging significantly if the rack is down. Unfortunately, even if I remove the spare, the welded on tire holder bracket would still drag!
Thanks. Will see what happens as we use the trailer. Hope I dont need the spare.[emoji16]
Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The original spare tire carrier on my Roo blocked the small hatch on the rear of the trailer but the carrier would swing down when a pin was pulled. Would possibly swing under the rack you have back there.

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...15-954730.html
Thanks
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #6

I actually found that we didn't use the rear rack at all and took it off. It actually got more in the way of accessing the hot water heater. And, when weight is always a concern, the rack and pins weigh 78lbs alone.

Point is, if you find yourself not using it, take it off. That will leave you a lot of bumper space to put the spare.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

Now I had that same thought. It looks great but not sure if I will use it. Dont bike so wont use it for that and with just two of us if the trailer and pickup cant haul our stuff were in trouble anyway. Besides I dont care for any spare under a rig. Thanks for the very sound advice.. Have a good one.

Tags
cargo, mount, tire