Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #1

Total Length of 2010 SV291?

My wife and I are really interested in the Surveyor line of trailers and have had the chance to walkthru the 23RKS, SV-243T but never the SV-291 at the local dealer.. Where we live in Ontario, Canada, the next closest dealer is 5 hours aways.

I was wondering if the overall length of 31 feet listed in the FR literature is the actual length trailer box excluding the hitch. I would like to know the overall length from bumper to tip of the hitch... The reason I ask is I want to make sure that I can park the trailer in my suburban driveway before and after each trip (not on the street which bylaw does not allow)

If someone that owns a SV291, could run a tape measure against their rig that would be much appreciated.

Any other comments about the SV291 would be greatly appreciated.
millsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #2

I can speak for the 2007 SV291. The trailer box is is 29' and over all bumper to hitch is
31'. I can also say that if the 2010 are as well built as our 07 model you'll enjoy owning it. I know there are improvements I wish I had on ours.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
" LIVE TO FLYFISH "

I actually like the older models,because they don't have the entertainment center,wich in my opinion takes up too much space on the sv291.We looked at one,and almost bought it,but it had the white cabinets,and we were not too thrilled about them!When we came back from walking around the lot,we asked about the 291 and the 294,and someone was buying it as we were asking,so we got the 294.
timtheflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #4

Thank you both for your quick replies. We have looked at a variety of trailer makes over the past 1.5 years and keep coming back to Forest River products and especially the Surveyors. We started out thinking HTT due to added space and short length of trailer. We like the SV234 but then came back due we want to worry about canvas. After spending time on the rv.net Hybrids section. I think it is hit or miss with any of the manufacturers. We decided getting to the campground and opening up to see water in the trailer was not the way to start the weekend. The 23RKS is a great trailer but we felt the interior space was limited.. We have 3 kids, 8, 5, 2 and realize that for those rainy days. We might want some a little longer with a slide as well..

Timtheflyguy: we did not like the white cabinets. Something can be said about the floral patterns that trailer manufacturers seem to limit themselves to..

The quest of the tt and tv continues...

bamasurveyor: what tv do you pull with?

We are thinking GMC Yukon XL SLT.. DW does not want a truck.. Grew up on in rural Saskatchewan.. My boys think DW needs a 1 ton dually. Not a great daily driver though.

Thanks again...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #5

hello Millsi,
First of all, Welcome.
We pull out SV291 with a 2006 Chevy Silverado LS Ext cab reg bed truck. It has a 4.8 ltr V-8, Everything else was ordered for towing,4:10 rear end, HD tranny with cooler, heavy duty suspension.
We went with a smaller motor for in town driving, and get about 16 mpg in town, 22 on hwy, but that drops to about 9 when towing. The smaller motor is all that limits us from having a 10,000 tow capacity and to a 7200 one.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #6

Towing a SV291 with a 2001 Z71 with a 5.3 engine. No problems execpt when we hit the eastern continental divide outside of Asheville NC. Had to tuck up behind a semi who was doing 25 mph the last two miles. One thousand four hundred feet of elevation in six miles was a bear. Have towed above mention rig over three thousand miles up and down the east coast with no problems. Did I mention my truck has, make that had, three hundred twenty thousand miles on it? Well...the camshaft bearings spun on my way to work the other day and I fried the valve train. Have to say goodby to the old engine and am instaling a good low mile used one next week. The Chev 5.3 is a great engine.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsi View Post
My wife and I are really interested in the Surveyor line of trailers and have had the chance to walkthru the 23RKS, SV-243T but never the SV-291 at the local dealer.. Where we live in Ontario, Canada, the next closest dealer is 5 hours aways.

I was wondering if the overall length of 31 feet listed in the FR literature is the actual length trailer box excluding the hitch. I would like to know the overall length from bumper to tip of the hitch... The reason I ask is I want to make sure that I can park the trailer in my suburban driveway before and after each trip (not on the street which bylaw does not allow)

If someone that owns a SV291, could run a tape measure against their rig that would be much appreciated.

Any other comments about the SV291 would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 235 rks and would have preferred the 291 in hindsight. It would be better for extended trips (lack of storage in the 235) and it has a full length bed. Setup is essential and if you can you should go to can am rv in london. I have towed over 10,000 km with my trailer in the last year and a half and am very happy with it. We went out east the first of july for 16 days... 5000 km total. Be aware of the sport model surveyors... they don't have the torsion suspension or goodyear tires. This is what makes the surveyor such a great tower. The lower ride height (thus a lower front profile to push through the air - by more than 12 inches compared to some leaf spring type suspensions) and a lower center of gravity. To me, this matters.

good luck,

shinesideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #8

Hello Millis
We have a SV291 2007 (purchased in 2008) and really like it we also live in Ontario, just outside of Windsor. I word of advise before purchasing would be to look in Michigan, we purchased ours at General RV. They where good to deal with and sell a lot of trailer to Canadians, the reason we purchased there and not Ontario almost 40% less for the same trailer!! Yes 40%. If you have any questions let me know
Daughter 9
Son 6
Tucker the Dog
Jamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #9

SV 291 owner here. We love it. Moved from a tent to a pop-up to the 291. Could not be more pleased. Tow factor is great, however I will be installing the three inch lift kit in the near future. Happy towing.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. First off, since my last post we have visited the local dealer and walkthru the 291 and 294 both were 2009 model year. We love the layout of 291 for the following reasons - bike door/storage area under the rear double bunk, wardrobe space on either side of the master bed. The pass thorough storage is great compared to the 23RKS.

Shinesideup - had mentioned he would have preferred the 291 over the 23RKS.. It has been a year and half of looking and we still have not pulled the trigger on buying a trailer.. Reading this and other boards like RV.net can make your head spin with all the great info.

Campkins RV which is in Myrtle Station, Ontario just outside of Toronto has 2010 RKS listed for $23,900 and 2010 - SV291 listed for $25,900 which is equipped with the Interior and Exterior Luxury Packages. Based on the all the feedback and our thoughts the $2000 more for the SV291 is well worth it..

Jamey, I would be more interested in info on buying for the U.S. as the warranty is only for 1 year so buying local seems not as big a concern about getting service from a local dealer which you did not buy from. By all means, if I can save 40% from a dealer in upper New York state I would.

At the local dealer Trailica (Limoges - outside Ottawa), he mentioned that the SV291 - 2009 was 35,000 but without haggling mentioned if I wanted it he could let it go for $29,000. The only thing extra that I could see was the Electric Tongue Jack which is about $300 and a 22" LCD TV. These are definetly not worth 4000 + tax and 4.5 hour ride one way to Toronto for a travel travel..

As always appreciate the feedback and comments.
Do these prices seem reasonable? All prices quoted are Canadian $.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #11

Millsi, I paid $22000 for my 235rks last june... That is plus taxes and the hitch... It has everything except the outside speakers... Setup is important also, I know can am does stuff other dealers wouldn't even think about (hitch strengthening, shocks on trailers etc.). To me this is worth something. They did have a 291 on the lot a couple days ago... it is the end of the season... Maybe $23500 ish??? Don't forget to ask them if that is the best they can do!

Good luck,

shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #12

Shineysideup,

Glad to see this prices are in the ball park.. I am not much for haggling but do not like to pay sticker price. The dealer has to make a living but if you do not ask you will never know. I will follow up with Can Am. It it hard when dealer's do not always list the prices on their websites.

Glad to hear dealers are willing to go the extra mile..
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #13

I purchased a 2010 SV 294 in July and I had all the upgrades, except the slide-out awning (only because they forgot it). I paid Just over $21,500 and that was out the door. That included a $700.00 hitch system which I did not end up taking and got the credit back for it.
Hensley TruControl Gold Brake Controller
scweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor