Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
Here is some more info on my set up. Hopefully helps someone out there.

The 5300 was the trailer unhooked from the truck and fully loaded. I also have the weight of trailer while attached to the truck(without the truck being on the scale) and then the trailer and the truck. I would have to dig around for those and will if it will help someone out.

My trailer is the sv264 10th anniversary edition.

I am pulling this trailer with my 2001 Chevy silverado 4.8 v.8 with 3.42 gears. I did put on a transmission oil cooler and I use a weight distribution hitch.

My manual did not provide a gross combined weight ratio. I think they started putting those in the Chevy manuals in 2003 or 2004. Mine just says max trailer weight with my engine and gears should not exceed 6500. Running the 3.73 gears shows a max trailer weight of 7500.

brokenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
There is no single figure that will determine tow-worthiness. I'd read Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine for a thorough introduction to the subject.

For picking a trailer, always start with the yellow label on the trailer, then add at least 1000lbs to that. The SP189 I got had a rather large gap between dry weight and sticker weight (because all the mandatory extras are not in the dry weight) Do your own math based on fresh and waste water capacity. Leave a safety limit.

Next, do the math for gross vehicle weight as per the guide. You absolutely want to stay below these limits.

Then there's things that make your life better or easier. A stronger TV will help maintain speed on grades. But, you need to make the call how you want to use it and how fast you want to go. The 250 horses in my 1999 F150 are laboring hard uphill, but it does the trick. The 4-speed auto doesn't have a lot of gears to pick from. Newer trucks have more power and more gears to keep noise down.

I'd definitely get a tow vehicle with a two package standard - including wiring, alternator and oil cooler. You're going to run at a higher power output setting than most people do.

We see people with all sorts of TVs. Some have F250 diesels. Some have an Xterra. Some have a Highlander, a car-like SUV. They all made it there.

Skelshy is offline   Reply With Quote

500, led pad