Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Towing..what to expect please

We have only had pup's, but want to buy a Surveyor SPT 240. Our TV is a 03 Z-71 4wd Suburban 1500 1/2 ton. Tires are "P" rated Nitto Grapplers. 35 psi max...Do not understand hitch weight? Will we be ok? Should I experience any "squat" with this set up ? Is there anything I should have done to the burb?
thnks for your time..vern
wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Site Team

not knowing engine size or rear end ratio doesn't help. also, does it have the factory tow package?

you'll definitely need a WDH with sway control, no matter what engine or rear end it has.
without one, you'll definitely have squat.

tongue weight capacity is in the owner's manual, along with towing capacities based on engine size and which rear end ratio it has.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Bikendan, As stated it is a 1/2 ton burb so yeah it has a chevy V-8..as stated it is 4wd 3:73 rear end It is a Z71, so it has factory tow pkg, aux cooler etc. thanks for your valuable input, cleared everything right up for me..As posted, I do not understand tongue weight and looking for a little help here...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
That trailer is lighter then mine. I have the same truck. It will be fine. Just get equalizer bars and sway bars(yes two). O ya get a brake controller for your truck(if you have electric brakes which im almost sure).

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
That trailer is lighter then mine. I have the same truck. It will be fine. Just get equalizer bars and sway bars(yes two). O ya get a brake controller for your truck(if you have electric brakes which im almost sure).
Scube, that is the kind of info I was looking for..thnks, buddy, vern
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

One other tip. go on a short run first just to make sure no major sway / everything is setup the way it was designed. So the equilzer bars and sway bars according to directions.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat1 View Post
We have only had pup's, but want to buy a Surveyor SPT 240. Our TV is a 03 Z-71 4wd Suburban 1500 1/2 ton. Tires are "P" rated Nitto Grapplers. 35 psi max...Do not understand hitch weight? Will we be ok? Should I experience any "squat" with this set up ? Is there anything I should have done to the burb?

i'm sorry that you took offense to my post but i didn't see anything in this post that said engine size, rear end ratio nor if it had the tow package.
am i miss something? i kinda don't understand the sarcasm. i was simply trying to know what you had in order to help.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

To back you up. I don't want this to become a argument , but the truck comes with the 5.3 or 4.8 motor. And 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears. So your questions are fine bikendan. Heck you tried to help

Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm sorry that you took offense to my post but i didn't see anything in this post that said engine size, rear end ratio nor if it had the tow package.
am i miss something? i kinda don't understand the sarcasm. i was simply trying to know what you had in order to help.
....So now that you have this info...what is your input please ?? vern
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Site Team

i have a 2WD Avalanche, similar chassis and the same size engine and rear end ratio.

i have quite a bit squat on the hitch, without the WDH. tongue weight of my trailer is around 600lbs., without water.
the later Avys/Burbs like my '07, have softer suspension than your year, so you may not have as much, especially with 4WD suspension.
my Roo's "dry" hitch weight is 40lbs. more than the 240's.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #11

Sorry Dan, get a little touchy when someone tells me to go back and read my owners manuel...especially after I stated I do not understand...I am a potential travel trailer buyer...trying to learn what I need to to know before I buy...Always feel better talking about a posted question one on one...Maybe I have hung out on "other" forums where other members have a tendency to talk down to newbies and make them feel stupid ..With that said my question was about a Suburban, not a Subaru and regarding a TT under 4K lbs...any info would be appreciated, thnks for your time, vern
Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
Site Team

no problem, no offense taken.
wasn't sure what i said wrong.

i prefer to have the right info and not assume things. so if i'm not sure of the correct specs, i usually ask so i can base my answer on the OP's particular specs.
since you had posted yours, i thought you might not know where to find them, because many new shoppers don't know that.
so, i guess i'm guilty of assuming that.

i try not to judge unless the specs of TV and trailer don't make safe sense.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat1 View Post
Vert, you should be OK with the Burb, but you need to be aware of some things. According to this chart http://www.trailerlife.com/images/do...owingguide.pdf the tow rating for a 2003 Surburban 5.3L, 3.73 gears is 7100 lbs. The SP-240 is a 26.5' trailer, with a listed tongue weight of 418 lbs. with a GVWR of "TBA". Adding the dry weight, and cargo carrying capacity the gross weight of that trailer is going to be over 7000 lbs. Adding the options, and a 1000 lbs. of gear should keep you well under the Burb maximum tow rating.

The tongue weight is probably going to be over 500 lbs. (and maybe close to 600 lbs.) when ready to camp, so an integrated WDH/Sway control should be used. I had a 500 lb. tongue weight trailer at 1 time, and it increased the load on my back axle by about 700 lbs., and took 200 lbs. weight off of the front axle. You need to get some of that weight off of the rear axle back to the front where it belongs.....that is the purpose of the WDH. 800 lb. bars would probably be best for that sized trailer.

There should be a sticker on your hitch that gives the maximum weights....make sure you do not exceed those.

You are looking at a fairly small trailer, but it is listed as 26.5' total length. Your Suburban has a 130" wheelbase. According to a popular chart or equation, you should be limited to a total trailer length of 25 to 26', so you are right on the fringe of those figures.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

This is probably one of the best articles I have seen on setting up a WD hitch.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #15

Get an equalizer WDH w/ 4way sway control. Way better and easier to deal swith than the added on friction sway controls in my opionion. Also get a Elect Brake Controller. Prodigy is what i use. The WDH will eliminate any "Squat" when set up correctly.

I tow with a 2000 F150 5.4 Triton with Auto and tow package and I pull a 29 foot trailer.

Welcome to he forum and have fun camping.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote