Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #1

Question Tricky locks

So as I stated before we are on our maiden voyage with our 295. Yesterday my poor hubby had to go back to work early in the morning. As he left he locked us in from the outside. We are parked at the family cottage so I popped in the cottage to shower. The kids watched the tv. Upon returning to the trailer I discover that it was locked. I had purposely unlocked the red handle before heading to the shower. Now heres the tricky part. Both my trailer keys and my car keys were inside the trailer. Luckily my 11 yr od remember about the storage under the back bunk and how it is accessable from both sides. So I wiggled my upper body in(I am not a small girl) it to lift th bed while my 8 yr old crawled in and open the door. So the question is if you lock the door with a key does it always have to be unlocked with a key?
Scoouts mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

I think it depends on the lock.
My current locks (latch lock and deadbolt lock) each have their own lever on the inside. Both of those levers have to be placed in the "unlock" position in order to open the door.
On a previous camper that I owned, it was possible to open the locked door from the inside merely by grabbing the latch handle and opening the door even if the latch lever was in the locked position (but the deadbolt still had to be in the unlock position). That left the door latch locked and it was possible to become locked out.
So to answer your question: No you should have been able to unlock the door by moving the interior lock lever to the unlock position before you went to the bath house. But you wrote that you did just that. Is it possible that you moved the deadbolt lever and not the latch lever?

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We NEVER use our door locks; only the deadbolt. Impossible to get locked out that way.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Come to think of it I really never understood the need for the "door" handle lock, it serves no purpose but to lock you out.
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

I am now not in favour of it either. Thanks for your thoughts
Scoouts mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keys, lock