Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Two 12V Batteries?

I want to mount two 12V batteries on the hitch of my 186SPT. Question: Using parallel wiring, will my truck alternator charge both batteries while I drive without any additional modifications or parts? And I assume that if the answer is "yes", then when I'm hooked up to shore, that both batteries would be charged as well Now it does a fine job of charging one. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The answer to both question is yes, the truck will charge both. That is a long run for wiring, so make sure it is large, about 6 gauge or better. Tie them down good also, (not a bungee cord), as it is amazing how much bounce they will get on that hitch. Make sure also you don't bounce any acid out.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
The answer to both question is yes, the truck will charge both. That is a long run for wiring, so make sure it is large, about 6 gauge or better. Tie them down good also, (not a bungee cord), as it is amazing how much bounce they will get on that hitch. Make sure also you don't bounce any acid out.
The standard charge wire in the Bargman 7 pin connector is heavy enough for your a 2 battery set up. No need to change anything.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The standard charge wire in the Bargman 7 pin connector is heavy enough for your a 2 battery set up. No need to change anything.
X2, been using it for years that way.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Thanks guys, always appreciate the timely and accurate replies.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I was talking about a wire all the way under a camper. I assume a trailer, with battery in nose or on tongue. The battery would be hooked to the converter. Now, to add battery on the trailer hitch, again I assume that would be on the rear, over 20 feet of wire. That is where I was suggesting a large wire.

Agree, adding a larger wire to the trailer connector is useless, the contacts are the limiting factor on current.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

Actually plan is to move battery box on front of hitch over and slide in another box next to it with parallel wires--both should fit and will be mounted with 4 tap screws each through crossbars as is current box.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

I put 2 Trojan 225's on my tongue on my SP189.

They fit in a Group 27 box - two of them, but it had to trim the boxes and the lids with a Dremel to get them to fit. Two group 24 boxes mayfit, but probably need to trim a bit too. Looked, but could not find a "double" box.

So I suggest doing some measuring first.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

I'm using two 24s--smaller box size--which will be enough amps for my purposes. Also couldn't locate a dbl 24 box, only dbl 6V boxes available. I eyeballed and measured situation pretty carefully and think I can fit both boxes on front hitch of 186. Regardless, I'll make sure they are absolutely secure before taking off. Will complete project Sunday PM...will let Forum know if there are any mounting issues.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Now I get it. Just so you will know, the front of the trailer is the tongue, or the pin on a 5th wheel, not the hitch. The hitch would be on the back, like the one on your tow vehicle. Some campers do have them. Glad I'm not confused anymore, forget what I mentioned above.

As to your comment on post #9, "I'm using two 24s--smaller box size--which will be enough amps for my purposes." Parallel batteries don't give more amperage. You are still limited by the max amp hour per battery. The amps won't add, but the time will double, assuming two matched batteries.
In other words, 50 amp hours will still be 50 amp hours, it will just double the time to 2 hours, and then you will have two dead batteries.

Hope this makes sense.

2008 Work and Play 18LT

Tags
12 volt, battery