Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Uh-Oh- looks like delamination

Darn. Here I have a 2008 Surveyor Sport 196 that I noticed today has what looks like delamination at the rear wall, an area about 1' X 1'. It appeared sometime between the fall and now. This thing is otherwise like brand new; the guy I bought it from used it a couple of times, and I've used it once. It was fine when I bought it.

What is the fix? I guess as second owner I've got no warranty. Can resin/glue be injected into the bubble?

Thanks for any advice. I was hoping this trailer thing would be less hassle than having a boat.
richdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

On second inspection, looks actually like an area of 3" tall by 1 foot wide.
richdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pictures would be good.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

I just answered Himmark's thread on the same issue;

When my last trailer had delamination (both sidewalls) my dealer said it was okay to use until it was scheduled to be repaired. It was under warranty and FR picked it up at my dealer's lot and took it back to the factory. They replaced both sidewalls. This is the only delamination fix I know of. The last I heard, cost for sidewall replacement was approx $4k per side plus shipping cost.

Hopefully someone else may know of a way to fix delamination, but it's my understanding that it will just get worse.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I just answered Himmark's thread on the same issue;

When my last trailer had delamination (both sidewalls) my dealer said it was okay to use until it was scheduled to be repaired. It was under warranty and FR picked it up at my dealer's lot and took it back to the factory. They replaced both sidewalls. This is the only delamination fix I know of. The last I heard, cost for sidewall replacement was approx $4k per side plus shipping cost.

Hopefully someone else may know of a way to fix delamination, but it's my understanding that it will just get worse.
I too had delamination issues that appeared to be fixable (dealer was going to inject glue and clamp - mine was on a rear slide.)

After getting in touch with forest river, the dealership and RV company ended up replacing the whole back panel. It was much worse than first appeared and even though I was out of warranty forest river and dealer came good for all the repairs.

I plead my case, I live in Ontario, store the trailer inside winters and had complained earlier of a wet rear slide (inside). I'm sure all this helped my case.

Bottom line, the repairs were made and I am a much happier camper. I would consider forest river products again because of this. If the manufacturer didn't stand behind their product I would have scratched them off my possible future purchase list!

Thanks to my favourite dealer in London and Forest river! It's good to see people standing behind the products they make and sell.
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote