Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Upgrading 264RKS

My wife and I are new to TT camping and are close to ordering a 2016 264rks. Our dealer asked if we would like to upgrade from the 30A to 50A with 2nd A/C prep. Having 2 A/C's seems like major overkill for this TT, but I like thought of having the 50A. Is there a big advantage to having a 50A over the 30A? Also, it's only a $283 upgrade.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

50 amp extension cords are heavy and expensive. RVers with two a/c's often carry smaller 30a ext cords because they are easier to stow. maybe if you live in Nevada you might need two A/Cs, But they are NOT quiet.
Happy Trails

Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

I have a SV264... same floor plan as what you're ordering. In 2012, I spent 8 weeks in July and August in North-Central Texas, working my new job, while my home sold in Amarillo. Depending on where you are, you may need 2 A/Cs... I sure did! The 50-amp cords are heavier but this is one of those things I'll never be without when I trade up, next year. It's my understanding that the Atwood A/Cs are quieter than the Dometic units. Unfortunately, I believe Surveyor uses only Dometic units. If your location is marginal, you may opt for the wiring upgrade, and a 15,000 BTU upgrade for the single unit. If you need the second unit, it can be added easily because it's wired, already.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

We ended up opting to add the 50A service and 2nd A/C prep, and bumping the main A/C up to 15k. I went with the thinking of I would rather have it and not need it, than not have it and wish I did. Everything was finalized at the dealer on Saturday, now I just have to wait...
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

We've enjoyed our unit, but it's a bit small for us these days. We're looking at units with opposing slides to open it up more, and bunks. We now have 6 grand children, whereas 5 years ago, we had none... Yep, time for a little more room... I know mine from the inside out. It's never been back to the dealer, but that's only because I always felt it was easier to fix things myself than to take it back. The only bad thing about ours is that it has Tor-Flex axles instead of tube axles, so it rides pretty low. They make a lift kit but I haven't bothered installing one. Enjoy.... and safe travels.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #6

For what it's worth I think it's a nice upgrade for the money.

The only thing that comes to my mind is the noise level with 2 Air conditioners running... you will likely need ear plugs!!! haha.

It's noisy enough when just our 1 is running.

Enjoy the cool upgrade!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

We took delivery of our TT a few weeks ago, and after having it out a couple of weekends I can say I am very happy with the 50A upgrade. It was well worth the money not to have to think about switching appliances to gas or anything like that while running everything my wife can throw at it! Also, there is absolutely zero need for a 2nd A/C, unless maybe for a backup or something. The 15k upgrade keeps it 72 degrees, even with 100 degree outside temps. At night... Two words- Meat locker!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	264.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	87523  
Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #8

Looks great. Enjoy