Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Very disappointed in new 2013 Surveyor SPT-220

We took delivery a week ago of our 220. After one night of camping, here are the issues so far:

Kitchen faucet leaks when traveling
Propane tank(s) ping loudly*
Fridge will not run on AC*
Finish on edge*of cabinet door*rubbed off and*rough
Cable connection faulty
Piece of wood on side of sofa came off

We are long-time RVers. Have owned Viking, Palomino, Jayco, Cedar Creek, Rockwood. Never had so many issues. So far very disappointed. Not to mention that the "mattress" is like sleeping on concrete. We did a lot of research before purchasing this trailer and think we may have made the wrong decision.

Linda and John

Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

I hope they get you fixed up.
You have me a little worried now. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2013 spt-220

Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
I hope they get you fixed up.
You have me a little worried now. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2013 spt-220
I hope so. Dealer is already aware of cabinet and faucet issues. When we return from our trip we'll take it in. Since the propane tanks are right behind the bed the pinging wakes us up--it's loud. We debated so much between this trailer and a Rockwood Windjammer2102w. We decided on this one because of the walk around bed and large outside storage. Now we are wondering if we made a mistake. We have never had so many issues. Had a Rockwoid Roo 21SS before this and absolutely loved it Can't understand how it passed inspection at the factory. Very poor quality control I guess. Hope yours doesn't have these or any other problems.

Linda
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda3612 View Post

propane tanks are right behind the bed the pinging wakes us up--it's loud.

Linda
our propane tanks make the same sound
been wondering what causes it ??
someTHING in the regulator ??
wonder what it's telling me (us) ??
time for a replacement ??
if so yours would be on the house
Mountainman
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

I believe it is the regulator pinging, they all seem to do it. I have debated going to a larger quality regulator on mine for a while now.
How does the faucet leak? Even if the pump is switched off?
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
I believe it is the regulator pinging, they all seem to do it. I have debated going to a larger quality regulator on mine for a while now.
How does the faucet leak? Even if the pump is switched off?
I don't know. Never had this problem before. Pump is off. John thinks its the regulator. Will have it checked.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

Just an update--we have fixed 2 of the issues ourselves--replaced the cable--tv now works--the one that came with the Surveyor was bad. Also, since today is the first day we are not on the road, we took the outside panel off of the back of the fridge--surprise, surprise--they didn't plug in the fridge. It now works on electric which is good. Won't have to listen to pinging from the propane tanks. Discovered another problem regarding blinds over the sofa-- we have to take the wand off to open them. Faucet continues to leak even when parked.

We think that neither Surveyor at the factory nor our dealer tested anything. A good reason to spend a lot of time at the dealer when taking delivery.

Linda
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda3612 View Post
We think that neither Surveyor at the factory nor our dealer tested anything. A good reason to spend a lot of time at the dealer when taking delivery.

Linda
QC at the factory can really vary day by day. But the dealer missing these items is a big fail for them.

Here are some thoughts for you ...

Kitchen faucet leaks when traveling. Take it back and have them replace the faucet or fix under warranty. We had a leak under our kitchen sink and not even the service guy could fix it. I finally found it and this is where it helps to be a little handy (or in my case, lucky).

Propane tank(s) ping loudly* This means its about to go BOOOMMM!

But, really, its not normal. I would definitely get this fixed. It comes up time from to time and it is the regulator or a check valve. You can get the reg and pigtail replaced under warranty.

Fridge will not run on AC* Nice sleuthing!

Finish on edge*of cabinet door*rubbed off and*rough Tell them to fix it under warranty.

Cable connection faulty Good job with the new cable. Keep the receipt and have your dealer submit it.

Piece of wood on side of sofa came off Tell them to fix it under warranty. Frustrating, I know. They really need to do a better job with the finish but you don't need to live with it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #9

I am wondering if your's was built on a Friday or just before a holiday. I am wondering why the dealer didn't crank up everything to make sure it works before selling it. I did a walk through with my TT before I headed out of the lot, then got home at cranked up what I could because it was winterized. I pulled panels, etc. and looked around. Hope they get your problems straightened out.
Days camped in 2013: 45 and not enough!
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

I hope so too. And I do blame the dealer. They should have gone over everything before selling to us. When we bought our Roo (House of Camping) in Bridgeview , Illinois, they were terrific. Unfortunately, we wanted the Surveyor and could not buy through them. Will let everyone know how dealer resolved issues.