Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member
We've been to a few places over the years that charge extra if you use your AC Unit. One in particular asked if we were going to use our AC unit and we were tenting at the time. We didn't tell them we brought a fan or that may have cost us more as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
We never use the electric portion of the water heater.

Hell, I thought most trailers you can't use the microwave and the water heater at the same time? and then throw in the AC in the summer on top of that.

I just don't even bother. We use our microwave alot and the gas water heater might cycle a whopping couple times a day on average.

As far as paying for the electricity that we paid for in campground stays, well the first thing I usually do is turn on the AC even if we are not inside, which most of the time we are not.

1999 Ford Superduty F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.
B&W goosneck/companion hitch, Airlift 5000 airbags.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Good one. He must think campers are stupid

Do keep in mind that it will take a while to get hot water - if you're in a rush...

Nothing beats propane for heating water.

My guess probably 45 minutes on electric VS 8-9 minutes on propane. Recovery will be also take the same time.
I normally test mine at home before every trip and my electric will get hot water coming out in about 10 - 15 minutes. The propane does get it hot faster but if I can use their electric, I will.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
I normally test mine at home before every trip and my electric will get hot water coming out in about 10 - 15 minutes. The propane does get it hot faster but if I can use their electric, I will.
Same here on our 10gal heater, the electric element works very fast. We like to arrive before dark to get hooked up anyway so I plug in turn the element on and we have hot water for showers or washing hands/dishes when we need it. I very rarely use propane when we are paying for electricity.

Sounds like a campground trying to save money like the others here have stated.

I would post a review on on this one if I was the OP.
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Villa Estate 392FLFB
i got the electric 10 gallon in mine. wish it had the option of gas though for the back to back showers etc.
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
As campers we should also look at the campground owners side. We all complain about the high fees that campground owners charge. If everyone camping just ran of the electric service The owner has to charge more in order to make a profit. I have seen people that are overnight camping bring small bar frig, water coolers electric grills, electric frypans ext. just so they do not have to use their propane. Everyone has to pay for ther excess use of hydro. Think what you are doing when you are camping. Yes you pay extra for hydro but it is not that much more then a none hydro site.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
I think caper has a good point of view. But if your a full timer or at the park lone time ,you will pay at the meter usages @ what the park want to charge for KW used. Yes you get a discount for your spot. If your in there for a night or two you will pay full rate. I would think in this rate they have cover the electrical you would use for a water heater & AC. But like caper pointed out at what are we over due it?

2010 wildcat 31ts
05 Ford F350 SD PS
camprat is offline   Reply With Quote