Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Water heater- using elec and gas at same time

Can i use both the electric element and propane at the same time to decrease recovery time?
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Always Learning

Yes.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #3

I am not sure what heater you have but on my Suburban there is no problem using both at the same time. Speeds up recovery and saves on propane. Just be sure there is plenty of water in the tank when you turn on the switch (and be sure to turn it off when you are done for the trip). The electric elements only require seconds to burn out.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

I thought gas was faster in regards to recovery time.

I would not use both at the same time.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Gas is faster than electric but both are faster than just one. Plus it saves you on propane. There is no reason I know of not to use both. If you forget and burn out your electric element, the gas will still work and it is an easy and fairly cheap fix
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I thought gas was faster in regards to recovery time.

I would not use both at the same time.
Been using both at the same time on 9 different trailers since 1975 with no ill effects. They are made to use both at the same time, otherwise there would be an interlock to prevent it.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Using both is fine. And as many have mentioned just make sure you always have water in it when on. Also keep in mind its on if you need to conserve power when running a generator or other high amp draw items on limited power.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Seems like one could just wait 5 minutes and it would recover pretty well on elec alone? Maybe you have 8 daughters that all need to shower?
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
Seems like one could just wait 5 minutes and it would recover pretty well on elec alone? Maybe you have 8 daughters that all need to shower?
Nope, just the 2 of us. Takes a lot longer on electric. Like the old sales pitch says, "Try it, you'll like it"
Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #10

Funny story about me and my water heater. I couldn't get it to heat up using electric early this camping season, so I just used gas for the first few trips. Then I got serious about getting it fixed. Thought I needed a new element, so I bought one and installed it. Still no hot water. So I got out my tester and found that I had no power to the element. Long story short. I had unpluged it while winterizing as a precaution against turning it on before filling it with water( it worked). Totally forgot about that plug in the closet. I think I'll unplug it again this year.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrowder View Post
Funny story about me and my water heater. I couldn't get it to heat up using electric early this camping season, so I just used gas for the first few trips. Then I got serious about getting it fixed. Thought I needed a new element, so I bought one and installed it. Still no hot water. So I got out my tester and found that I had no power to the element. Long story short. I had unpluged it while winterizing as a precaution against turning it on before filling it with water( it worked). Totally forgot about that plug in the closet. I think I'll unplug it again this year.

Put a post-it note on the door.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrowder View Post
You are correct, Bob. That is a funny story, and something I could see myself doing.

Now as Andrew pointed out to the original OP, when using the electric heating element you need to be mindful of total amps being used by everything....especially if you have a 30 amp RV. You may not be able to have the electric heating element on at the same time as certain other appliances or might trip a breaker.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

I never use electric for fear of burning it out. I guess there is no difference between not using it and forgetting to fill the tank and burning it out!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You are correct, Bob. That is a funny story, and something I could see myself doing.

Now as Andrew pointed out to the original OP, when using the electric heating element you need to be mindful of total amps being used by everything....especially if you have a 30 amp RV. You may not be able to have the electric heating element on at the same time as certain other appliances or might trip a breaker.
We have 30 amp and have never (knock on wood) had to curtail using any of the factory appliances all at once for fear of tripping a breaker. It's only when we use another appliance such as an electric skillet, hair dryer or something else that is plugged into an existing outlet with the microwave going.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #15

When I was young dad made all of us kids take "navy showers". He wasn't in the Navy, just German and frugal.
Once I moved out I got used to taking long showers. I don't much care for the short showers that you have to take in the travel trailer. I could only imagine a girl with long hair trying to get all of the soap out without running out of hot water
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
DDC

I always use both I just have to remember to switch the electric off before we disconnect or you get some arcing.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We have 30 amp and have never (knock on wood) had to curtail using any of the factory appliances all at once for fear of tripping a breaker. It's only when we use another appliance such as an electric skillet, hair dryer or something else that is plugged into an existing outlet with the microwave going.
I have found on 30amp sites, we can have 2 big appliances running at a time- when the 3rd kicks on, we trip the breaker at the campground box.

Our "big appliances":
- A/C
- Microwave (only 1 at a time)
- Water heater on electric
- Baby bottle warmer
- Teenage niece and mega hair dryer
- Electric skillet

Once we started to realize the limitations- we do OK and trip the breaker a lot less.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #18

Typically just use electric and have the campground pay to heat my water. I will switch to propane when there is a line for the shower or we need to use the AC. I'm chronic about checking the black and grey levels when dumping, so making sure the WH is off is not a problem.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #19

My electric element takes 15 minutes to heat up water to a comfortable temp. Of course I only use the electric element when on shore power. Propane takes a little less time by 3 or 4 minutes. Never thought about using both at the same time. Maybe cut the heating process in half? 7-8 minutes?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
MC9

One of the first things my wife does on a new rig is write the model no. of all the appliances on the applicable manual. That answers most questions.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater