Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

What is the new roof material being used?

I have a 2014 Surveyor fifth wheel that just had the roof replaced at the factory. The original rubber roof was textured EPDM. I was told that the new roof is rubber too, but is has a smooth surface and feels very hard. Almost like a hard plastic laminate. I was told this is better than the earlier EPDM, but am curious what is actually is. Anyone have a clue?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

EPDM is ethylene propylene diene terpolymer. Essentially, it is a rubberized coating that is applied, as a liquid, over surfaces such as metal and fiberglass roofs. As in the case of my 2015 Georgetown, it is used over the fiberglass roof structure. You can find all you want to know at the company's web site: EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks. While some forum members recommend treating RV roofs annually with 303 Aerospace Protectant, the EPDM company rep I spoke with today said all they recommend is cleaning with a mild liquid cleanser if and when needed. On the other hand, retail outlets such as Camping World sell cleaner/protectant solutions they recommend for roofs. Is that a sales pitch or something that really needs to be done? IMHO, those are primarily cleaners with a lot of hype.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

You may have the TPO roof (thermal poly olefin) It's still classified as a "rubber roof", but doesn't oxidize or streak the sides like EPDM. It's shiney compared to an EDPM as well. Just google it and read up.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #4

Superflex

Detail - Alpha Systems, LLC
Old 11-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

You bring up an interesting point. But how is one going to find out what one they have? I suspect that is going to be a tough one unless someone can categorically state that models x,y and z have this or that coating. Either way, the web information for each doesn't appear to require periodic waxing/sealing.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

The easiest way to personally find out what roof material you have is remove the inner frame from any ceiling vent (just 4 few screws) and lift up the roof material that has been folded downward inside the opening. If the back is black, it is EPDM ... if the material is a solid color (white) or has a fleece like backing, it is TPO. I can't see why Simple Green, Awesome, Camco rubber roof cleaner, Thetford rubber roof cleaner, or Protect All rubber roof cleaner and a soft bristle brush will harm either one.
Since there are different TPO materials ... just a tid bit lifted from Dicor's website about sealant should one have a TPO roof and need to touch up seams." If your TPO has a fleece backing then Lap Sealant will probably be the right choice. But if your TPO does not have a fleece backing then Dicor Ultra Sealant System should be used. "
Old 11-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
...Since there are different TPO materials ... just a tid bit lifted from Dicor's website about sealant should one have a TPO roof and need to touch up seams." If your TPO has a fleece backing then Lap Sealant will probably be the right choice. But if your TPO does not have a fleece backing then Dicor Ultra Sealant System should be used. "
Or... just use Alpha's recommended sealant. They make the Superflex TPO roof material so why not use their sealer.
ALPHA 1021 - High Solids Self-Leveling Sealant.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

I have no affiliation with any roof material manufacturer ... I guess all I can respond with is " ALPHA" isn't the only game in town.

Tags
roo, roof