Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #1

Which Surveyor?

I've been lurking here for a while, also on several other TT forums. I have several questions and will try to be succinct. We have never owned an RV, so everything is new knowledge for us.

We are "young" retirees trying hard to sell our Phoenix home and move to our rural land in the mountains of New Mexico (7,100 feet). We tent camped for the last 2 summers and what a pain, especially breaking camp. It looks like the housing market is going to take several years to get back to normal in Phoenix, so we've given up on the tents and decided to buy a TT and use it as a summer cabin. We will be living in the trailer for months at a time, April to October. It's often below freezing at night until the end of May and by early September, so my research has led me to choose the Surveyor line with its (better than most TTs) insulation and heated & enclosed underbelly.

Our TV is a Honda Ridgeline (love the truck and will not consider changing it), max. tow weight is 5,000 pounds, tongue weight 600 pounds. My husband wants to travel with the trailer, too, so it's not going to be just parked all the time. We're very concerned about 1) weight and 2) going nuts living in a tiny trailer for months at a time.

We've been looking at the following Surveyor models: 210, 230, 234. I'm worried that anything larger will be too much for us to easily tow. I would be most interested in opinions of Surveyor owners about those floorplans or any other guidance. Thanks in advance for your comments and help.
FunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Team

We have the Grand Surveyor. They don't make it anymore, they took the differences between the Surveyor and the GS and added them to the Surveyor line in 07'. We've camped in 8ºF weather and had no problems.

Either of the units listed above will work for you. I'd stay away from the bunks unless you need them as they take up floor space which you'll miss if you're "living" in it. My suggestion would be to take a look at the SV-250 if you don't need the bunks and I like the layout of the SV-234 if you do.

The best suggestion I can give you is to try the bathroom out. Sit, stand, get in the tub, etc. to see if it fits you.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've not "lived" in an RV. But I would think some type of slide-out would be nice if it gets you a bit more floor space. It wouldn't be cool to be bumping into each other constantly. A 264 has a nice floorplan but might be a bit much for a SUV like the Ridgeline. But I know that several people are pulling SV235RS's with a Ridgeline without a problem. And the 264 weighs just about the same; just 3 feet longer. If you are not pulling too far, and are leaving it in one place, that might work.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The best suggestion I can give you is to try the bathroom out. Sit, stand, get in the tub, etc. to see if it fits you.
Great suggestion!

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
This is MY title!

Don't even think about anything bigger than the 234. At 7,000 feet that's a load. As far as floorplan, for us the deciding factor was wanting a separate dinette and sofa. That gives us each some space, and room to lounge when you have to be inside.

Can't help you with the going nuts question. You'll have to find that out for yourself. ;-)
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
Don't even think about anything bigger than the 234. At 7,000 feet that's a load.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking. All out short trips will be at that altitude or higher. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm now in Albuquerque and hope to make a decision tomorrow. To complicate matters, I saw the Crossroads Sunset Trail 19CK today that has similar insulation, etc. to the Surveyor. And it has a much better vanity in the bathroom, better storage, a spice rack built in, propane storage compartment in the side of the trailer, and a much bigger pass-thru storage.

Yes, I'm "going thru the motions" in testing the bathroom, shower, kitchen, etc. Thanks to all for the tips and hints.
FunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #7

Ridgeline don't care

Check the ridgeline forums, there is several threads talking about towing a 5000 lb trailer though the mountains as high as 11000ft
We towed up from Memphis about 300 ft to Fall Creek Falls about 2000 ft with some steep climbs with no issue or even sense of strain on the truck. Only Ridgeline owners know how good their truck is.

If you plan to live in the trailer, the good point Bama made is try out the bathroom. Our 235 bathroom is small, it's the trade off of having it all, bunk space for kids, slideout bed and couch and dinette. I wouldnt want a trailer that put the propane tanks inside the floor space. I like the front space for propane. We use the microwave the most and the water heater is electric and a small space heater will heat the trailer in the winter. I am moving away from hauling propane these days.
Pass through space is a byproduct of layout and with a truck with a trunk, there is not much outside storage that you need. I would rather have that space in living area.
One thing you can be sure of is everyone you talk to will have a different take on the camper that is best!
Good luck with your purchase!
Cyclicpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor