Old 06-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
bmg

Question Window for '06 sv264

Just bought the trailer. Previous owner had garaged it for 4 years. He seldom used it. My wife said the stove or oven had not been used. We took it on one 4 day shake out and everything worked fine.

We noticed that the bedroom window on the right side was marked as an exit. I have no idea why, since we have 2 doors, but obviously you can't open it for ventilation. It's the same size as the crank window over the dinette (23 1/2 x 43 1/2). Where can we get a replacement window? It looks like an easy job to switch. I imagine silicone should be used to seal it.
Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #2

Our 8315BSS bedroom window is an emergency exit as well - this model is also a 2-door trailer. I assume that the "emergency exit" requirements is something that is mandated as an industry standard. Personally, I wouldn't change it , cuz in a real emergency - you can't have too many exit points !!

...VTX-AL

Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

DO NOT use Silicon on your trailer, especially on a window seal or door.

The window is for Emergency Exit, in case you can't get to a door for escape. I wouldn't replace it, but if you do, there are windows galore on Ebay at lest than have the price of the manufacturer.

Use Eternabond Caulk or Doublestick MicroSealant Putty Tape
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
obviously you can't open it for ventilation.
My last three trailers had screens on the Emergency Exit window and could be open for ventalation. Maybe the screens are missing?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
bmg

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
My last three trailers had screens on the Emergency Exit window and could be open for ventalation. Maybe the screens are missing?
Thanks Mike,

The screen option might be the best solution. It would preserve the emergency feature and still give is some ventilation. The only neg is that I would have open the latch and then go outside and prop the window open with something. Same with closing it.

I guess Camping World could get the screen.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #6

Oh, OK. Yours must be the type without the prop rod and screen. Maybe you could attach a prop rod to operate from the inside.

Click here for window hardware.

The exit window in my trailer has an opening lever/prop rod like this.

To open, the lever must be raised slightly to clear the gray catch. Then the lever is aligned it a straight position to PUSH the window outward. The red handle is then dropped into a notch to hold the window open.
The RED pull-handle to the left is attached to the screen frame, to pull it away from the window in an emergency situation.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #7

BMG, We have a 05 sv264 and do not have screens on the exit windows. I hope we never have to use them !! thanks Jeff Carey
Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
bmg

Thanks guys, I'm learning a lot today. Went to Camping World and found that a new window like the one by the dinette runs about $310. The exit window is the same size. They called Forest River and the part number is 20x09574a. That would give us the ventilation, but would do away with the exit capability. Honestly, with a door in the bedroom 6 feet away, I see no need to have an emergency window at all. I guess it's our nanny regulators watching out for us again.

Looks like Milzat's setup is the best way to go. I found what appeared to be same hardware on Hehr's part's page: Page Title. However when I checked their size charts, my window size wasn't on the list. Makes me wonder if it's a different brand. I'll have to look at it in the daylight and see if I can find some information. When I looked the other day, I didn't see any, but perhaps it's on the glass.

I can't find any info on window screens. The screen size I need is approx. 41 1/2 x 21 1/2. With the T bar type slide and the handle on the screen, it should work.

Any ideas on finding the screen?

Tags
surveyor