Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

2009 Surveyor 304 Tire and fender issues

Hi everyone,
We just purchased the 2009 Surveyor 304...This is our first travel trailer, so it's all a learning game for us now!
It was just delivered a few weeks ago, and as the delivery driver was driving up my street, I could hear the fender scraping off the tire. I had him take it back to the dealership and repair it before he bought it back again. (Well, they fixed that side, I noticed they cut the fender and put a bracket on the inside to bring it out from the tire so it wouldn't scrap)... When I checked the other side of the trailer, I noticed that the fender is REALLY close to the tire on that side as well. So close that I can not even fit my finger between the tire and the fender, (only about a cm of space there). I am nervous that once we start to tow it, the tire and fender will scrap, and possibly slash a hole in the tire. Our dealership seems like they are "frustrated" with the few complaints I have...go figure, typical dealership! Once it's off the lot, they don't care!!!
(Vent under the fridge was hanging off, Shower head was cracked right off, fender and tire issues, slide topper issue, no ladder for the bunk beds...The list goes on, and we didn't even use the trailer yet!!!)

Another issue I am having is the slide topper...it makes a really LOUD noise in the wind...so bad that I don't think I would be able to sleep through it. Can it be adjusted???? I can't find anything in the manual about it .
Also wondering does this model come with a ladder for the bunk beds???
Ours didn't come with one, the dealership told me that one was not included... but I am wondering why it didn't. My 8 year old daughter uses the table in her bedroom as a foot stool to assist her in getting onto the top bunk...I am afraid that this is going to damage the table, and also the fact that it is very dangerous...She is not allowed to do this anymore, but she has trouble getting onto the top bunk.

I am starting to have regrets about purchasing this trailer...the service we have is terrible...I love the trailer, but it seems like the dealership we are dealing with do not want deal with our issues. Which is making me have regrets

I also find that the trailer is not very steady....I find if one of my kids is walking across the floor, or someone comes in and out of the trailer, the whole trailer shakes...any movement at all and it feels like I am on a boat!

Any information from anyone with these few issues would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	2532  
kcost25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

Sorry to hear you have so many issues with a new TT. What I would do is call the manufacturer and tell them everything you have found with your TT and that your dealer is not supporting there equipment. I would not put up with the dealer treating you the way it sounds like they are. Complain to the manufacturer and be sure to tell the the dealers name. Keep complaining until you get the service you deserve. It sounds and looks like a nice TT. You will get your problems worked out.
Gunnergm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

First,

Welcome to FRF and to RV'ing. You are correct it is a learning game. Sometimes a very HUGE learning experience. I'm still learning as I'm sure most everyone is that's been at it for a few years. You have taken a good step though in joining this forum as it is a wealth of information.

I may not be able to address all of your questions or issues but I'll try for some of them you listed.

Slide topper very loud in the wind.
Yes they are and as far as I know there is no adjustment to be made. There is a "fix" of sorts while you are using your trailer though. Several folks have found that putting a basketball or other such item depending on space on top of the slide under the topper will signifgantly lessen the wind noise.

Bunk ladder.
I'm really not sure how many bunkhouse RVs come with a ladder. Mine didn't so I made one. Here is a thread on our forum discussing the ladders. CLICK

Trailer movement.
Most move quite a bit. There are a few options out there to lesson the movement. One option is to install wheel chocks between each set of wheels. There are homemade types using 4x4s and threaded rod and the kind you can find at RV stores such as this one here. CLICK Another option that can be used as well is a set of permantly mounted stabilzers such as noted in this thread. CLICK. Post #9 takes you to the install. CLICK l I use them both.

As far as the fender rubbing on the tire issue...... you may be better off fixing it yourself depending on how handy you are at that sort of thing.

Dealers are sometimes a chore to deal with but don't give up on RV'ing just because of a few minor issues.

You have to keep in mind that RVs no matter how much they cost are going to have issues. Most are minor some are not and the stuff you can take care of yourself even it's under warranty will save you time and money by not having to drag it to the dealer to fix.

So again, welcome and don't give up. When you get your bugs straightened out you and your family will really enjoy it.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

If that dealer is inept, tell FR and have them suggest a better alternative.

And isn't it amazing how much manufacturing us owners have to do to get a new unit up to standards?
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

2009 Surveyor 304 Tire and fender issues

Try having the dealer flip the axles. This is a common practice and it will raise your trailer 3" above the tires and from the ground. That might solve your problem. The trailer will ride higher but you shouldn't have any problem with the center of gravity being a bit higher. I had that done to my trailer because my back end kept hitting the road when I was going over some dips in the road or driveways and have not had any problems so far. I have a 2005 GS290. I'm sure the mpg has been affected but it's a trade off that I am willing to over see to keep the trailer aluminum frame intact.
bobandpatsyrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Flipping axles doesn't mean anything and doesn't work on a Surveyor. There are no shackles and springs. The axle is mounted right up against the frame. That is why they sit lower than most trailers. The axles are torsion axles. There is nothing to flip.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

In regards to the suspension/axles, I offer the following information. The pivoting axle arm on the alko axle should be at the 9 o'clock position (or 3 o'clock) when the camper is at rest loaded. When you jack up the camper, the axle arm will pivot down about 3 inches when fully unloaded. I'm not sure of the amount of travel that this system has as far as further compression when loaded, but I'm sure that you'll need more than a finger's width.

The wheel-well's height is usually determined by what is above it inside the camper. If you have flush floor slides, the top of the wheel-well will be the subfloor. If it has an above the floor slide, which I believe you have, the top of the wheel-well will be under a cabinet, sofa, etc. You would not be able to raise the height of the wheel-well.

I suspect that Forest River did not install a large enough spacer between the frame and the axle mount to allow sufficient gap between the tire and the top of the wheel-well. Increasing the height of this spacer is the only fix and Forest River should pony up to get it done.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My interpretation was that the "well" was not the problem; but rather; the plastic fender skirt touching the sidewall of the tire. I've seen plastic skirts that tend to bow inward toward the tire. If that is the case, then perhaps a bracket (centered between the 2 tires) could be fabricated to push the skirt out farther to provide the needed clearance. Not sure if this is your issue though.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #9

Flipping axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Flipping axles doesn't mean anything and doesn't work on a Surveyor. There are no shackles and springs. The axle is mounted right up against the frame. That is why they sit lower than most trailers. The axles are torsion axles. There is nothing to flip.
Well someone has been lied to. With my 29' GS, the tt was sitting too low and was dragging on the ground every time I pulled into an inclined drive. I took it back to the dealer, he sent it to a trailer fabricator dealership and they "flipped" the axles. My trailer now noticeably sits up above the wheels and I don't have trouble with the low profile.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandpatsyrvers View Post
Well someone has been lied to. With my 29' GS, the tt was sitting too low and was dragging on the ground every time I pulled into an inclined drive. I took it back to the dealer, he sent it to a trailer fabricator dealership and they "flipped" the axles. My trailer now noticeably sits up above the wheels and I don't have trouble with the low profile.
The 29' GS is not listed in the current Surveyor brochure, so I am not familiar with the axle type. Currently, the Surveyor Sports are listed as having springs (can flip), and the regular Surveyors are listed as having torsion axles (can't flip).

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #11

Flipping axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I don't know what the trailer shop did but I have a sealed bottom with torsion axles on the '07 GST280 and the "job" they did, and they said they flipped the axles, fixed the problem and raised the trailer from the wheels. The shop that did the job is a place that fabricates, fixes, modifies, and of course sells trailers.
Who knows?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If the camper with torsion-style axles has to be raised, they add another length of square or rectangular steel tubing as a spacer between the camper frame and the axle mounts. Our Rockwood 8280WS already has two spacers from the factory, 1 - 2 x 2 and 1 - 2 x 5 lengths of steel tubing stacked on top of one another.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #13

Surveyor riser kit

I had the same problem with tail dragging my SV294. We had a surveyor 3" lift kit added by the dealer. Made a world of difference in the height. Had to adjust my hitch but it was worth it. It tows fine.

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandpatsyrvers View Post
I don't know what the trailer shop did but I have a sealed bottom with torsion axles on the '07 GST280 and the "job" they did, and they said they flipped the axles, fixed the problem and raised the trailer from the wheels. The shop that did the job is a place that fabricates, fixes, modifies, and of course sells trailers.
Who knows?
Pictures of the flipped axle would be great. I would like to see how they did that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If the camper with torsion-style axles has to be raised, they add another length of square or rectangular steel tubing as a spacer between the camper frame and the axle mounts. Our Rockwood 8280WS already has two spacers from the factory, 1 - 2 x 2 and 1 - 2 x 5 lengths of steel tubing stacked on top of one another.

Dave
Exactly Dave. With leaf springs, you can change the axles to ride under the leaf spring rather than above it, gaining some height; flipping the brackets. With torsion axles, I believe the only solution is what Dave described; adding some steel between the frame and the axles. More like a spacer as there is no flipping involved.
Red Green coffee mugs

Tags
grand surveyor