Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

de-winterizing

We are new to camping just bought 2004 grand surveyor. When reading the manuel it does not give great instructions on de-winterizing. Could someone give us good instructions on what to do and should we disinfect all lines and freshwater tanks before use? We do not plan on using the fresh water tank, but it may have antifreeze in it.

Thanks
New Campers

rt willliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #2

I've read where some people add a small amount of bleach to sanitize the lines. You can also buy tablets to sanitize the fresh water tank. However, I simply connect a water line and let it run through the lines good to make sure everything is flushed out. I also open the drain on the fresh tank and let water run through it. No problems so far with that technique,

dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Head Rambler

I'd run a little bleach in the water tank then fill it up drain it a couple of times. Run the mixture through your pump and out each faucet then flush with fresh water. That'll take care of any potential issues you may have including the antifreeze.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Team

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html

Like bama said.
Add a half cup or so of chlorox or any chlorine bleach. I'd avoid the newer "low odor"
lemony flavored kinds. Fill the water tank. Run your pump and open each faucet until
you get chlorine water out of it. Let it sit in the system for 30 minutes or so.
Drain the system and refill and flush it once or twice.
Don't forget to drain and flush the water heater. They never drain completely and there
is probably a half gallon of water in there that's been there all winter.

Happy Camping!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Don't forget to drain and flush the water heater. They never drain completely and there is probably a half gallon of water in there that's been there all winter.
The way I do this is pull the drain plug/anode rod, and shove a water hose up in there for a few minutes. Then I clean the plug threads with a fine wire brush, and use a little teflon tape on the threads going back in. Looks to me like anode rods are lasting 2 years according to my usage.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'd run a little bleach in the water tank then fill it up drain it a couple of times. Run the mixture through your pump and out each faucet then flush with fresh water. That'll take care of any potential issues you may have including the antifreeze.
If you are sensitive to the smell or taste of the bleach residue in the lines then there is a procedure called "sweetening" the system which involves the use of a little baking powder disolved in water and added to the tank. Drive around the block to slosh the water around then run it through all your lines. You can find instructions on the net for doing this and how much powder to use.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand surveyor